Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Ok, thanks. I will call again and have them change it. thx
You can add the domestic PP request online very easily
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angetenar
It will charge extra PlusPoints if you try to do it online. An agent would probably charge extra PlusPoints as well, but might not if either (a) there is still PZ2 or (b) OP is able to explain that this was a UA agent error.

The old approach — put a GPU on the long-haul segment, and if it clears, call to extend it to your connecting flights — is explicitly disallowed by PlusPoints rules.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by angetenar
Only by cancelling the present request and starting all over.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Have officially decided United PZ offering is shockingly bad. Never going to use up my 220 PP by July 21st. Definitely switching to Delta after the summer.

There is zero open PZ from EWR to ANY of the 22 direct flights to Europe on 19th or 20th July. It gets exhausting searching 22 routes and 2 dates , everyday.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Have officially decided United PZ offering is shockingly bad. Never going to use up my 220 PP by July 21st. Definitely switching to Delta after the summer.

There is zero open PZ from EWR to ANY of the 22 direct flights to Europe on 19th or 20th July. It gets exhausting searching 22 routes and 2 dates , everyday.
United’s not really releasing anything early. Upgrades aren’t being made available (if seats remaining) until w/i 48 hours of departure. Plus, w/ European travel bonkers this summer, no incentive for UA to forego revenue. Is Delta passing out upgrades in advance or is it just a more convenient carrier/alliance?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United’s not really releasing anything early. Upgrades aren’t being made available (if seats remaining) until w/i 48 hours of departure. Plus, w/ European travel bonkers this summer, no incentive for UA to forego revenue. Is Delta passing out upgrades in advance or is it just a more convenient carrier/alliance?
After 11 years as a GS, I have NEVER seen it this bad. essentially zero PN as well for July. For once I am actually nervous about clearing on a summer trip to NL in July.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Definitely switching to Delta after the summer.
Not for the plentiful upgrades, I hope.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
UA 956 EWR-GVA on 7/19 is at PN9 IN9. Super frustrating that they're willing to open up all that saver award space without any PZ.

FWIW, if you can fly on 7/18 UA 962 EWR-BER is at PN9 PZ4 IN9 I4.
SPN Lifer and RobOnLI like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by avi8tir
After 11 years as a GS, I have NEVER seen it this bad. essentially zero PN as well for July. For once I am actually nervous about clearing on a summer trip to NL in July.
same, we have a trip next week to Rome that I applied PP to many months ago. Split the reservation 2+2 (wife is GS too) and have slowly watched seats disappear.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
same, we have a trip next week to Rome that I applied PP to many months ago. Split the reservation 2+2 (wife is GS too) and have slowly watched seats disappear.
Hang tight. Million of plus points will expire on July 31 and Jan 31.

After that, the 1K/GS cohort will be significantly smaller than pre-covid.

PN/PZ should be plentiful next year!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly

A familiar mantra over the past few years. I hope you're right, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly;[url=tel:35333439
35333439[/url]]Hang tight. Million of plus points will expire on July 31 and Jan 31.

[mod edit] PN/PZ is not being taken up by other people's PlusPoints. It's simply not being opened in the first place -- PZ in particular.

Furthermore, UA is playing a game: the more they reduce upgrade clearance rates, the more they get people to buy J, and thus the fewer upgradeable seats there are in inventory. It's a vicious cycle that will only be broken when (a) people give up and start flying other carriers or (b) the economy absolutely tanks. If you have fewer 1K/GSes -- those 1K/GSes will be buying J; or they'll be defecting to AA/DL, and some AA/DL premier member will buy the UA J seat, because they're equally up in arms about low clearance rates.

People expecting PZ space to be open "next year" are like Charlie Brown with the football at this point.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 15, 2023 at 3:20 pm Reason: removed snark
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:08 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
5 year 1k, just landed in London from SFO, booked A Class PP, changed dates / flights around a few times, it was clear I was not going to clear using PP, 2 weeks before my original flight I was number 3 on waitlist with 10 seats available, 4 days before I was number 8 with 8 seats available. Only 1 seat cleared, I upgraded to Polaris 3 days prior to flight for $1000, no point chasing the status if you are unable to use the benefits.

I also booked my parents, wife, daughter in A/ R on same route a few weeks back and they weren't cleared either, ended up burning PP's on a short hop to LAs Vegas, still loads left.

Last edited by navatwal; Jun 15, 2023 at 1:17 am
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by navatwal
5 year 1k, just landed in London from SFO, booked A Class PP, changed dates / flights around a few times, it was clear I was not going to clear using PP, 2 weeks before my original flight I was number 3 on waitlist with 10 seats available, 4 days before I was number 8 with 8 seats available. Only 1 seat cleared, I upgraded to Polaris 3 days prior to flight for $1000, no point chasing the status if you are unable to use the benefits.

I also booked my parents, wife, daughter in A/ R on same route a few weeks back and they weren't cleared either, ended up burning PP's on a short hop to LAs Vegas, still loads left.
Wow on an A fare! I have been upgaring to R lately and have been getting the upgrades - three came through this week so surprised about your A fare.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
For the umpteenth time, PN/PZ is not being taken up by other people's PlusPoints. It's simply not being opened in the first place -- PZ in particular.
Doesn't matter how many times it's said, if it's not true.

1. The annual poll we conduct still finds broad satisfaction across the plus point user base.

2. I've personally booked over 20 international flights leveraging PZ/PN space this year -- including SFO-SIN (PZ), SFO-FCO (PN), SFO-LHR (PZ).

Stating PN/PZ has simply disappeared because everyone is buying J is just factually incorrect. There's plenty of PN/PZ space, but it's just consumed quickly by the millions of plus points circulating in the ecosystem. Once those are reduced, satisfaction across the plus point user base will grow further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.