Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old May 13, 2023, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by big V
I will see 440 PlusPoints expire this year. Not for lack of trying, but nothing managed to clear last year as a 1K and ths year as a Plat, save one US TATL and one LH TATL. Am searching for June trips but not one PZ availability/skip the waitlist.

Looks like this is the year I go free agent. I wanted to hit 1MM with UA before going free agent, but can no longer justify it between the PPs going to waste year after year, really poor soft product (I watch the Polaris meal thread with horror -- flew up front on Air France and LH this year and UA is like prison food by comparison), and pricing.
You may want to find a home for your 440 expiring PlusPoints on Coupon Connection? People may be willing to part with hotel points or other valuable stuff for PP?

And while the catering on United Polaris is not to be confused with the food on the best Asian and Middle Eastern carriers Biz Class, it not far from being "prison food" - in fact, some of it is not too bad of late, and it's improving.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
My main problem is not so much lack of upgrade availability. On my main travel routes I can typically find something without too much trouble. However the prices of the underlying economy ticket have become ridiculously expensive and is often 50%-100% more expensive than the competition.
Old May 14, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I just posted on making 2024 status in 2023 that I have made but will not be choosing United in 2024 unless it is less expensive. For the first time ever (well since I was aware I had GPUs/PlusPoints) I am going to end up with unused PlusPoints. I fly Tuesdays/Wednesdays a day try to avoid popular routes.

The ability to use PlusPoints on international routes was why I would strive for 1K. Cannot use the PlusPoints then I may as well save money on domestic flights and book business on other international carriers.

The new Quest promotion means 1K pool will be large again in 2024 - still no ability to use PlusPoints. *sigh.

The FB group I am in is giving away PlusPoints....which again cheapens the whole thing since more folks competing to use them.
Old May 14, 2023, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
Yesterday, May 12, EWR-HND.

Waitlisted using GS PP.

Died as No.1 on the waitlist.
TYO is tough right now. The NRT flight was 20 deep w/ nobody clearing ... didn't help that 18 of us were flying to TYO although I chose to fly ANA via ORD and cleared to F using +Ps no problem!

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

The FB group I am in is giving away PlusPoints....which again cheapens the whole thing since more folks competing to use them.
That is in 2023 ... much less earning this year, both higher limits and $3k per 20 +Ps thereafter; 2024 should be better. Agreed that till 1/31/24 it will continue to be challenging, depending on route and underlying fare.

I have spent all of my 7/31/23 expiring ones and now well into the 1/31/24 expiry already
Old May 15, 2023, 12:33 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Yesterday, May 12, EWR-HND.

Waitlisted using GS PP.

Died as No.1 on the waitlist.
Ouch. Though it is not to supposed to be this way I am finding my GS PP upgrades are coming through much faster when applied to Premium Plus. Could be a coincidence, or not.

If you won't mind sharing, were you in Y or premium plus?
Old May 17, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by uanj
Ouch. Though it is not to supposed to be this way I am finding my GS PP upgrades are coming through much faster when applied to Premium Plus. Could be a coincidence, or not.

If you won't mind sharing, were you in Y or premium plus?
May 12 EWR-HND my family of 3 booked to 35K miles XN awards. Applied 40 PP each.

But, we sat as No.1,2,3 on the WL and never cleared. At T-48 it was J0, and nobody canceled.

When it was T-2 and J was checked in full, I canceled the ticket in the last minutes. We redeemed 92K miles each for LH J saver awards (very lucky to secure 3 awards) and flew BOS-MUC-HND two days later.

I had never imagined that GS would fail NRT upgrade.
Old May 17, 2023, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle

The new Quest promotion means 1K pool will be large again in 2024 - still no ability to use PlusPoints. *sigh.
What new Quest promotion?
Old May 17, 2023, 6:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
What new Quest promotion?
Don't get too excited Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024 , max additionally 2,000 PQPs, will take $48K in credit card spend in April-June to get max, halfway done, targeted promo
https://promo.united.com/offers/MoreCardPQP
Old May 17, 2023, 8:13 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I recently applied plus points for a friend who was platinum for an IAH to SEA flight on Monday morning May 15th.

Even with plus points, she was 23rd on the upgrade list and didn't clear. I have never seen 23rd on the upgrade list using plus points. On the return, she is 7th and first is booked full, so will not clear either.
Old May 17, 2023, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
TYO is tough right now. The NRT flight was 20 deep w/ nobody clearing ... didn't help that 18 of us were flying to TYO although I chose to fly ANA via ORD and cleared to F using +Ps.
Upgrades on ANA in/out of Honolulu are relatively easy right now, although ANA-equivalents to R and P are ineligible.
Old May 17, 2023, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I had never imagined that GS would fail NRT upgrade.
Welcome to actually not a new reality. I remember pre pandemic not getting upgraded routinely from SFO-MFR-SFO as a GS. It was a regular flight for me for business and I was relatively new to GS but remembered being surprised I would often not clear. Granted it was basically a one hour flight on a little commuter jet but when this is what you are doing monthly at a minimum you take notice.

Last edited by nomad420; May 18, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Old May 18, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Just a quick rant. Have 280 PP to use up by July 31st. Cannot find any PZ space for 2 people , from any city in USA to any city in Europe, 8th July through 19th July. I am using this opportunity to status match with Delta, so I no longer have to take a bunch of extra segments each flight out of PBI, just to stick with United.
goodeats21 and limey1K like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2023 at 8:41 am Reason: removed vugar comment
Old May 18, 2023, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by simonoaks
Just a quick rant. Have 280 PP to use up by July 31st. Cannot find any PZ space for 2 people , from any city in USA to any city in Europe, 8th July through 19th July. I am using this opportunity to status match with Delta, so I no longer have to take a bunch of extra segments each flight out of PBI, just to stick with United.
While I love some good old fashioned FUD spreading, this is just not true. UA 30 EWR-MUC on July 8th is at PZ6. And that was just the first day I searched.
Did you even try?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 18, 2023 at 8:43 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 18, 2023, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am using this opportunity to status match with Delta, so I no longer have to take a bunch of extra segments each flight out of PBI, just to stick with United.
That's a good reason to switch carriers. To me, UA only makes sense when it wins on schedule.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
UA30 EWR-MUC on 7/8 is PZ6. I haven’t looked at other dates in your range but PZ space will exist. Also check LH. If they have I space (saver reward), which I see in your date range, it will typically clear with PlusPoints (though read FAQ - need certain fare classes + native LH codes.

To the other poster commenting about waiting until the last minute - UA is stingy with PZ space until close to departure (or very far out). In my experience, better to do former.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.