Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old May 18, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
[Mod removed quote of deleted post]

Many including myself have had similar complaints. Admittedly my schedule is less flexible so mid week (or Monday as was displayed above) TATLs are typically not my sweet spot. I just typically apply my PPs and wait for the inevitable redeposit of them into my account or simply just buy up as I did on my up coming TATL. Having said this, my wife just cleared in both directions a SFO-SYD-SFO flight and I did post it in the PP success thread. It has been said many times here that PP's use for the business traveler is very limited to not useful at all. Flexibility is key to there use. Can they be used, yes. Will I end up eating some, most likely.
marks88 likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; May 18, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Old May 18, 2023, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
While I love some good old fashioned FUD spreading, this is just not true. UA 30 EWR-MUC on July 8th is at PZ6. And that was just the first day I searched.
Did you even try?

Sorry , my mistake, I cannot fly 8th, I meant 9th .
Old May 18, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by marks88
UA30 EWR-MUC on 7/8 is PZ6. I havenít looked at other dates in your range but PZ space will exist. Also check LH. If they have I space (saver reward), which I see in your date range, it will typically clear with PlusPoints (though read FAQ - need certain fare classes + native LH codes.

To the other poster commenting about waiting until the last minute - UA is stingy with PZ space until close to departure (or very far out). In my experience, better to do former.
Ok, thanks, did not know you can use them on other airlines. Can you use them on Air Canada, there are a couple of YYZ - LHR flight that could work.

I do usually wait until near leaving, however, this is not possible , as it ties in with two Med cruises we are doing. I was expecting flight to say Athens, Rome, FRA etc would be difficult, but not LHR with such a wide spread. I have done at least 10 LHR upgraded trips, just seems like it gets worse, YoY.
Old May 18, 2023, 11:36 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Ended up burning most of the rest of my PlusPoints on our SFO-PPT trip for four. The PZs were only coming one by one, so I had to split the PNR and grab them one by one. But it got the job done.
Old May 18, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by simonoaks
sorry , my mistake, i cannot fly 8th, i meant 9th .
7/18 UA 904 EWR-LHR PZ2
7/18 UA 52 IAD-ZRH PZ4

(I know you can't fly after 7/19 but just some other options I found)
7/24 UA 960 EWR-FRA PZ9
7/24 UA 989 IAD-FRA PZ9

7/29 UA 30 EWR-MUC PZ9

7/30 UA 74 EWR-FRA PZ2

And this is just after a quick search from EWR with PZ>1, I'm sure there are more options from other hubs, in the other direction, and including flights with PZ1.
RobOnLI likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by JALsnipe
7/18 UA 904 EWR-LHR PZ2
7/18 UA 52 IAD-ZRH PZ4

(I know you can't fly after 7/19 but just some other options I found)
7/24 UA 960 EWR-FRA PZ9
7/24 UA 989 IAD-FRA PZ9

7/29 UA 30 EWR-MUC PZ9

7/30 UA 74 EWR-FRA PZ2

And this is just after a quick search from EWR with PZ>1, I'm sure there are more options from other hubs, in the other direction, and including flights with PZ1.
Thx, how do you search "pz over 1 " ? Or do you have to just manually look at each one to see if it is over 1 ? thx
Old May 18, 2023, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by simonoaks;[url=tel:35260621
35260621]Thx, how do you search "pz over 1 " ? Or do you have to just manually look at each one to see if it is over 1 ? thx
Looks like IAD is now off my list. Seems United has no direct flights to DC then from PBI, which is odd as I just flew there for work 2 weeks ago !

Originally Posted by simonoaks;[url=tel:35260630
35260630]Looks like IAD is now off my list. Seems United has no direct flights to DC then from PBI, which is odd as I just flew there for work 2 weeks ago !
Holy crap, looks like there are no flights PBI to ORD direct either - I have no idea [what] is going on. I just flew PBI-ORD-LHR in March !

Last edited by l etoile; May 18, 2023 at 10:19 pm Reason: Language edit
Old May 18, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Thx, how do you search "pz over 1 " ? Or do you have to just manually look at each one to see if it is over 1 ? thx
Just manual search, I didn't post the flights at PZ1, but they exist.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by simonoaks;[url=tel:35260495
35260495[/url]]Ok, thanks, did not know you can use them on other airlines. Can you use them on Air Canada, there are a couple of YYZ - LHR flight that could work..
Only LH and NH.

[mod removed quote of deleted post]

Many of us have been throwing PP at everything for the past 18 months with minimal or no success.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.

Last edited by l etoile; May 18, 2023 at 10:20 pm
Old May 18, 2023, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Welcome to actually not a new reality. I remember pre pandemic not getting upgraded routinely from SFO-MFR-SFO as a GS. It was a regular flight for me for business and I was relatively new to GS but remembered being surprised I would often not clear. Granted it was basically a one flight on a little commuter jet but when this is what you are doing monthly at a minimum you take notice.
I suspect there are many domestic routes where GS are routinely sitting in back. My last two SFO-PHX F was booked full from >72 hours out.
Old May 18, 2023, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect there are many domestic routes where GS are routinely sitting in back. My last two SFO-PHX F was booked full from >72 hours out.
My last domestic was DEN-MCI on a 739....sat in the back on an H fare purchased 12 days out.

Sorry,misread this one. I did not apply PP on this route. CPU did not clear
Old May 18, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
got a CPU this morning as a SILVER

Was shocked yesterday morning when I saw it had cleared 24 hours in advance. Was only IAH to SAT, however
Old May 18, 2023, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Ok, thanks, did not know you can use them on other airlines. Can you use them on Air Canada, there are a couple of YYZ - LHR flight that could work.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Only LH and NH.
PlusPoints are good on LH (Lufthansa), NH (ANA) and CM (Copa). For more info reference this page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...Lufthansa.html

-RM
simonoaks likes this.
Old May 18, 2023, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
got a CPU this morning as a SILVER

Was shocked yesterday morning when I saw it had cleared 24 hours in advance. Was only IAH to SAT, however
I've been on two domestic flights this year where half the premium cabin was apparently nonrevs, so if they're able to get that, any status member can get CPUs too. Granted one flight was 730am on a Sunday, and the other a mid-week, mid-con redeye during the slowest part of the year for air travel; so it wasn't that surprising. But plenty of upgrades are out there to be had, however just like at every other airline, the biggest influencer on the frequency you're getting them is going to be the route and time you're flying.
Old May 19, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Just got upgraded on SFO-FRA for next week.

First use of Premium Plus points for me. It wasn’t looking good last week because it was J3 on this flight.

I think what happened was they changed to a bigger aircraft with way more Polaris seats that they confirmed my upgrade more than a week out.

Still though, even if I got every Premium Plus points upgrades that I’ve applied for, I will lose 220 PPs at end of next January. I might book another international flight now, see if I can use 60 or 80 more but otherwise I don’t see flying much more than that because it would be from October to end of year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.