Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:19 am

Flights EWR to ORD are tough. Switched off a lie flat configured flight to a flight an hour later with some expected availability. First on list with front cabin eventually booking full. Upgrade cleared 10 minutes prior to boarding. PDB served so double plus. PP applied to get to 1.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by weero
... . Being booked into B or Y will make sure that I hove near the first few folks to be upgraded.
For non-GA, PremPlus O/A/R will have higher priority and probably cheap ticker (for A/R)
weero likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For non-GA, PremPlus O/A/R will have higher priority and probably cheap ticker (for A/R)
I think the point of the post was that booking a long-haul O/A/R ticket will delegate to Y or B on the domestic segment, granting a bump in upgrade priority vs. a similarly-priced coach fare.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
IAH-MUC on July 28 was PN7/PZ5. Just upgraded two colleagues using PPs.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprisingly, I came across a few PN/PZs on the SFO-FRA flights midweek over the next few days. Interesting to note that PZ=PN mostly.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Hey guys. AA EXP here. For us EXP's redeeming SWU's at booking is key. We use EF to find available C space to do such. Recently pretty much all C space from AA's hubs to EU cities has vanished up to where booking a ticket is available (end of June '23). Are you guys having the same problem?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hey guys. AA EXP here. For us EXP's redeeming SWU's at booking is key. We use EF to find available C space to do such. Recently pretty much all C space from AA's hubs to EU cities has vanished up to where booking a ticket is available (end of June '23). Are you guys having the same problem?
UA uses two letter designators for upgrade fare buckets.. e.g PN, PZ, RN, and these aren't searchable on EF. We have to manually search flight by flight using expert mode on UA's site. But yes, current experience is similar. Upgrade space pretty much dried up this past spring once the travel restrictions lifted and the tourist floodgates opened. It can be found, but it takes some luck and flexibility. UA chooses to monetize and sell all upgrades first rather than reward its elites. Hence the reason they keep extending our Plus Points.
enviroian, weero and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Recently pretty much all C space from AA's hubs to EU cities has vanished up to where booking a ticket is available (end of June '23). Are you guys having the same problem?
On UA, it vanished about six years ago.
Chukiechz likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's brutal out there. PHX-SFO evening flight yesterday, 40 on the waitlist for zero F seats on a 320. Several GS and a bunch of 1Ks (at least six or seven) pre-boarded, there were only two of us in F.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
some of it seems so random... I just had a RT OGG-SFO and easily cleared PP on tickets that were about $220
and yet, looking at another similar trip and F already sold out?

-m
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mfirst
some of it seems so random... I just had a RT OGG-SFO and easily cleared PP on tickets that were about $220
and yet, looking at another similar trip and F already sold out?

-m
Uh, what time frame/day of the week is that similar next trip? Some days and periods are busier than others.

David
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I was looking at the 925am OGG-SFO flights recently - and they are hit and miss with regards to availability for PP/CPU
the one I took last Weds - there were 8 empty seats t-48 and the flight that I am looking at in 2 weeks (I think on a Tues) is already full in F
... and the fares are so cheap that I am not even getting credit for my MilePlay (4 flights for $250 for 15,000)

-m
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Extremely difficult to predict the upgrade success on flights to from OGG. The exceptions are the early evening flights from LAX/SFO - OGG ( now off the schedule) and he redeyes back to same.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Aug 24, 2022 at 12:57 pm
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew MTJ-DEN yesterday. I was on a U fare, the ticket cost me $283 for a ~200 mile flight.

I was #4 for 0 seats on the upgrade list when the door closed. That hurt.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm flying SFO-EWR-RDU Sunday. I bought a $400 one-way Q fare back in March. At the time SFO-EWR was a 757-200 so no Premium Plus for sale. I immediately applied PlusPoints. I've been waitlisted since even though the plane has been changed from a 757-200 to a 787-9 and finally to a 777-300.

The upgrade list is now available. As a 1K on a Q Fare with PP I am 16th on the list. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.