Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Disappointing but not surprising. UA seems to have strange allergy for offering Premium Check-in experience. Premium Check-in much better at non-hub airports (as are the agents generally as well). As for ORD, they have limited the amount of actual agents at the T-1 check in to a maximum of two, with the rest being contract agents that are only able to verify ID and tag bags. It's sorta a slap to Premiers in their home-hub airport but they know they'll keep us. Every time I've needed to speak to an agent at ORD Check-in, there is generally a line (I'm 1K but there is no differentiation) and the agents as of recent have been largely untrained and often have to call a help desk to get anything beyond the basics done (I've observed this for myself as well as others while I've been standing there). I now often wait for the Club if I need agent assistance because those agents actually are trained to provide more premium service. But UA also has a war on offering agent assistance at clubs too. Sigh.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by monksy
They converted a huge row of the checkin desks at Ohare T1 into bag drop only places for Preimire and they're pushing people to do OCI/the machines instead. This is a really disappointing thing to see if you have a business class ticket and/or status. (That was the only thing that I valued with Silver) This feels like it's economy. (Also, my experience, it's nearly always better with a paper ticket)

Yes, I'll do a mobile ticket when I'm not checking a bag.
Welcome to what the rest of us have been dealing with the past couple of years already.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 12:57 am

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
What are we doing , going back to Jeffy days where you have PMCO/UA staff brawls and "over entitled elites"?

Other annoyance, but this is more on the asks of the airline and airport authority. These screens being put up in front of the gate area (as opposed to the # signs at the to), and "help terminals" are pretty bad. If their history is any indication they're really trying to understaff or no staff the gates as long as possible.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
Disappointing but not surprising. UA seems to have strange allergy for offering Premium Check-in experience.
Degradation of the land-side premium check-in experience/capability at UA hub airports for my international flights (at least as a carry-on-only pax) is why I sometimes book refundable domestic UA tickets to get airside to the United Clubs or airside service desks and get my check-in or other business done airside. Better at times than dealing with UA’s “premium” check-in land-side.

Staffing quality and streamlining staffing levels has consequences.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
This doesn't work, however, if one has international bags to check.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
<snip>
I now often wait for the Club if I need agent assistance because those agents actually are trained to provide more premium service. But UA also has a war on offering agent assistance at clubs too. Sigh.
Aye. This thread deals with this very topic. Did they revert back to having agents in the end?
removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:12 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Yes.

I'm sure they will keep check-in desks for those who need full asssistance. And I think alliance rules would obligate them to have a desk/line for elites. But, they might make it inconvenient to get to that desk (such as locating it all the way at the far end of the concourse)
Old Dec 16, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by monksy
They converted a huge row of the checkin desks at Ohare T1 into bag drop only places for Preimire and they're pushing people to do OCI/the machines instead. This is a really disappointing thing to see if you have a business class ticket and/or status. (That was the only thing that I valued with Silver) This feels like it's economy. (Also, my experience, it's nearly always better with a paper ticket)

Yes, I'll do a mobile ticket when I'm not checking a bag.
This is not just an airline thing, it’s the way of the world. No better example than the checkout line at most any Walmart.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Where at ORD do I find this bag drop area?

Departing ORD in a few days. Will meet the pre-req criteria (bag to check in, paid for, checked in online). Where do I find this bag drop area? FWIW, my departure gate seems to be T1, C19.
Are there specific hours of operation?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Departing ORD in a few days. Will meet the pre-req criteria (bag to check in, paid for, checked in online). Where do I find this bag drop area? FWIW, my departure gate seems to be T1, C19.
Not specific to ORD, but for all airports with bag drop, UA will email you and display in the app the location when online check-in opens.
legionnaire likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by legionnaire
When I departed ORD this summer, the bag drop was curbside at Terminal 1 door 1E on the upper (departures) level. Look for purple signage.
SPN Lifer and legionnaire like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 5:22 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Premier Gold, Pan Am WorldPass (disc.), Hertz Gold, IHC Gold Elite, Marriott Plat. Elite
Bag Drop Shortcut, UA

Please advise location of the UA Bag Drop Shortcut at Terminal C at EWR?

Various sites online seem to guve conflicting info.

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2023, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by oldclipper
Please advise location of the UA Bag Drop Shortcut at Terminal C at EWR?

Various sites online seem to guve conflicting info.

Thanks!

level 3 far left, near premier check in

This is from the app which will even provide directions. More … > tools and services > airport maps.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA MM
The outside skycap in DEN gives everyone priority tags,

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 19, 2023 at 4:51 pm
Old May 20, 2023, 2:26 pm

NFC signs at SFO

Just flew through SFO. Arrived at the Premier Access area to check a bag. Already had my mobile boarding pass. Agent approached me asking if I had the United app and said I could hold it near the signs at the Premier Access Bag Drop Shortcut. Was confused at first but went over to Premier Access Bag Drop Shortcut. They have new signs on the podium that use NFC technology to print bag tags. You simply open the United App and hold the phone near the sign. The app then asks you for which pax you want to print tags and they pop out behind the counter. Was a lot faster than scanning BP at the kiosk. Took less than 30 seconds. Seems new as the staff were also saying how they learned about it today as well.
SPN Lifer and sczcardfan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.