Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2023, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tods27
...There were people who had tags, mixed with people who didn't, and there were no real lines, just a mass of people.....
Pretty much the situation at LAS. HNL is a bit more organized - as primarily a leisure destination, UA puts a number of agents in front of the counter assisting/directing. LAS could get some tips from HNL.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mogi67
90% sure there was a bag drop shortcut at PIT last time I flew from there
You were right! I've never noticed it before, I guess because I never check bags out of PIT, but there it was snuggled between Premier Access and regular checkins.
mogi67 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 1:31 pm

So I checked in on the UA app, and prepaid for a checked bag. I arrived at EWR and tried to use the bag drop shortcut but was told I couldn't because I didn't have the logo available that showed I was eligible to use bag drop shortcut and "the software wouldn't accept my boarding pass". refreshed and nothing changed. I'm leaving from BOS tomorrow and have already checked in, and I don't have a logo available on my boarding pass. Is it because I'm in basic economy that I can't use bag drop shortcut?
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Premier, SW RR
MCO was extremely crowded this past Monday. The UA early bag drop was awesome. Checked bag in on-line - ( no fee due to United Card ) - then walked right up - no line - clearly marked and designated person took over from there. On the other hand was not able to use my United club pass due to flight delays and too many people in lounge. And also long waiting list for MCO Club lounge.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:01 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I used the bag drop shortcut at DEN with my skis a few weeks ago. It worked well (no line), but it took a supervisor to override to get a third tag printed for my boot bag, and there's no way to indicate in the app that you have a ski bag and boot bag and that counts as a single piece of checked baggage.

It seems to be a way to lower staffing costs by outsourcing most of the bag drop employees to ABM and having one or two UA employee supervisors. Still, as long as it saves time (no kiosk), I'm in favor of it.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Am I able to get a paper boarding pass when using baggage shorcut?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eng3
yes but need to.hit the normal kiosks before or after bag drop.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 4:58 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by eng3
Not from the bag drop, at least at EWR. The kiosks are disabled to do anything else other than print baggage tags. That is what makes bag drop attractive as the line moves very quickly as no one is printing BP, changing seats, changing flights, looking g at upgrades or other things people do at kiosks. Just print tags, drop bags and then it's next in line....
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by aacharya
yes but need to.hit the normal kiosks before or after bag drop.
So no. (I meant using the kiosk)

I tried asking and they said, no, goto a normal one.
I initially tried the "TSA pre touch less id" facial recognition thing. The guy didn't understand and kept saying TSA has nothing to do with baggage. I pointed at the sign and read it out lounge to him. He just said "yes, green is here"
Trying to avoid taking my id out was a big fail anyways as I had to show is at clear too.
I decided to print or my BP airside. Went to 5 of those portrait layout ones. One printed half of my BP, two did nothing, two more said "offline" on the printer. Finally found an old school one that worked

Last edited by eng3; Jan 2, 2024 at 5:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.