Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2023, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Mobile App Boarding Pass — Green Border

(Mods: Please move this to the United app thread if appropriate…I had a hard time find it via search)

When checking in this morning, I noticed all three of our boarding passes have green borders. I never saw that before, even traveling two weeks ago.

We’re CLEAR and Pre-Check, so I’m wondering it’s to help CLEAR/TSA spot Pre-Check?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:04 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by rflor
(Mods: Please move this to the United app thread if appropriate…I had a hard time find it via search)

When checking in this morning, I noticed all three of our boarding passes have green borders. I never saw that before, even traveling two weeks ago.

We’re CLEAR and Pre-Check, so I’m wondering it’s to help CLEAR/TSA spot Pre-Check?
Is this an international itinerary? I think this is the indicator for Travel Ready?
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Can you post a screenshot?
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Probably the printer is running out of paper and the last bit comes up with a color to indicate to the agents to change the paper roll? I have seen it show up in pink with Delta.

IMO the thermal printers cannot print color.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is this an international itinerary? I think this is the indicator for Travel Ready?
Domestic -- ORD - MCO for tomorrow.

Now screenshot...

Last edited by rflor; Jun 30, 2023 at 9:42 am Reason: screenshot
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Probably the printer is running out of paper and the last bit comes up with a color to indicate to the agents to change the paper roll? I have seen it show up in pink with Delta.

IMO the thermal printers cannot print color.
Pretty sure OP is talking about mobile BP on the app.
GUWonder, Admiral Ackbar and rflor like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Pretty sure OP is talking about mobile BP on the app.
Is St Patrick Day coming soon? 😍🤑
pseudoswede and goodeats21 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
"Travel ready" on mobile BPs just is a green button (pill?) next to status.

Maybe this is a new approach, though would make more sense for pre-check checkers who need to ward off the unaware who think "oh, shorter line!"
Old Jun 30, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: CO Gold
Experienced the green box this week. Apparently it means eligible for quick Bag Drop. In SAN that meant I could go to a dedicated bag drop zone, scan my boarding pass at a kiosk and then someone behind the nearby counter would print the bag tag, attach it (along with priority tag) and zoom the luggage away (awesome enhancement so totally in WN style!).

In MCO it meant standing in line for a kiosk, the kiosk printed out a bag tag that I applied myself and then had to wait in line at a separate bag drop zone where bag got checked without a priority tag and was 3rd last to arrive at the carousel in SAN. Colleague who used the premier access lane at MCO was faster by at least 10 minutes and was already home by the time I got my bag.
SPN Lifer, drewguy and goodeats21 like this.

Last edited by familyflier; Jun 30, 2023 at 9:48 am
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
As stated above it's for Bag Drop Shortcut. You'll see matching green signage at the airport where the Bag Drop Shortcut area is located in most stations.
It serves to help you associate the green on your BP with the green in the signage. It also helps employees in the airport quickly see you have the feature and can direct you to the correct position for handling.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
As stated above it's for Bag Drop Shortcut. You'll see matching green signage at the airport where the Bag Drop Shortcut area is located in most stations.
It serves to help you associate the green on your BP with the green in the signage. It also helps employees in the airport quickly see you have the feature and can direct you to the correct position for handling.
Spot on ... the trial feedback of using the "light purple" for Bag Drop Shortcut said that passengers were still confused as Amethyst (purple) is used as a primary accent color a lot across the terminal, so now the bag drop section has been re-signed into the "Pacific Blue" which is basically green. The boarding pass boarder matches the new signage.

I also like the new black boarding pass for GS.
SPN Lifer, rflor and purdue1015 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by greenpau
Spot on ... the trial feedback of using the "light purple" for Bag Drop Shortcut said that passengers were still confused as Amethyst (purple) is used as a primary accent color a lot across the terminal, so now the bag drop section has been re-signed into the "Pacific Blue" which is basically green. The boarding pass boarder matches the new signage.

I also like the new black boarding pass for GS.
Ok that makes sense. As noted upthread, I'm good with bag drop in ORD. MCO....yah I will still use Premier Access.

i'd love to know the thought process behind naming this color "Pacific Blue".
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Same team that writes United menus.
SPN Lifer, rflor and Kmxu like this.
Old Jun 30, 2023, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Apparenatly it is a standard color designation -- equal parts of Green & Blue, but depending on rendering and an individual's perception of colors may look more green than blue or blue than green

Plain Pacific Blue Solid Color Background Stock Illustration 2233623247 | Shutterstock

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2023 at 1:20 pm Reason: an individual's perception of colors
Old Jun 30, 2023, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Apparenatly it is a standard color designation -- equal parts of Green & Blue, but depending on rendering and an individual's perception of colors may look more green than blue or blue than green

Plain Pacific Blue Solid Color Background Stock Illustration 2233623247 | Shutterstock
Huh...that's a lot more blue on my desktop than what's in the United app (and subsequent screenshot). Wonder if it has anything to do with iPhone color calibration.

At any rate, I won't stray further off topic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.