Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2023, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rflor
Huh...that's a lot more blue on my desktop than what's in the United app (and subsequent screenshot). Wonder if it has anything to do with iPhone color calibration.

At any rate, I won't stray further off topic!
Nope, they're definitely different colours. The shutterstock shade is RGB 29 / 128 / 190. The boarding pass shade is RGB 124 / 208 / 148.

So in my completely made up metric for how blue or green something is, the boarding pass is (190/255) - (148/255) = 16 %-points less blue and (208/255) - (128/255) = 31%-points more green.
SPN Lifer, coolbeans202 and rflor like this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 6:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by familyflier
.... bag got checked without a priority tag and was 3rd last to arrive at the carousel in SAN. Colleague who used the premier access lane at MCO was faster by at least 10 minutes and was already home by the time I got my bag.
If SAN is like most of my checked baggage experiences, that had nothing to do with the priority tag and completely random.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Quick baggage drop is interesting, but frankly why wouldn’t they use this option and color for when a BP is TSA PRE? It’s often difficult for a line monitor to see the tiny tiny TSA PRE logo in the upper left corner (although, this BP is now WHITE and not DARK BLUE, maybe that is new).. Green border (no pun intended) usually indicates things like SAFE or PROTECTED or SECURE, it’d be nice if that sort of UX would carry over across more things.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I had the same green border this week when flying EWR-BRU. I thought it was because I booked the flight the same day as travel and it was a digital SSSS or something. I was travel-ready and zipped through pre-check without any issue. It was also the first time I’ve ever seen that on my boarding pass
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by familyflier (Post # 9)
Experienced the green box this week. Apparently it means eligible for quick Bag Drop. In SAN that meant I could go to a dedicated bag drop zone, scan my boarding pass at a kiosk and then someone behind the nearby counter would print the bag tag, attach it (along with priority tag) and zoom the luggage away (awesome enhancement so totally in WN style!).
Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post # 10)
As stated above it's for Bag Drop Shortcut. You'll see matching green signage at the airport where the Bag Drop Shortcut area is located in most stations.
It serves to help you associate the green on your BP with the green in the signage. It also helps employees in the airport quickly see you have the feature and can direct you to the correct position for handling.
Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post # 18)
Quick baggage drop is interesting, but frankly why wouldn’t they use this option and color for when a BP is TSA PRE? It’s often difficult for a line monitor to see the tiny tiny TSA PRE logo in the upper left corner (although, this BP is now WHITE and not DARK BLUE, maybe that is new).. Green border (no pun intended) usually indicates things like SAFE or PROTECTED or SECURE, it’d be nice if that sort of UX would carry over across more things.
Last Thursday, Mrs. SPN Lifer did not have a green border on her United App boarding passes, MNL-GUM-SPN.

There is no UA Bag Drop Shortcut in Manila. She does not have Pre-✔ for the second segment and was in Boarding Group 2 (from her UA Quest Card).
Old Jul 1, 2023, 8:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by fumje
Nope, they're definitely different colours. The shutterstock shade is RGB 29 / 128 / 190. The boarding pass shade is RGB 124 / 208 / 148.

So in my completely made up metric for how blue or green something is, the boarding pass is (190/255) - (148/255) = 16 %-points less blue and (208/255) - (128/255) = 31%-points more green.
Here is the official UA color palette:

Which means that if they intended to use the Pacific Blue, who designed the border did not use the official color palette.

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I believe the line monitor is looking for either the words TSA PRE or the logo to confirm Precheck eligibility.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau
Spot on ... the trial feedback of using the "light purple" for Bag Drop Shortcut said that passengers were still confused as Amethyst (purple) is used as a primary accent color a lot across the terminal, so now the bag drop section has been re-signed into the "Pacific Blue" which is basically green. The boarding pass boarder matches the new signage.

I also like the new black boarding pass for GS.
While we're on the topic, does anyone know which airports have the Bag Drop Shortcut in them?
Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by ewr_overture
While we're on the topic, does anyone know which airports have the Bag Drop Shortcut in them?
Based on terminal maps from app

Hubs: ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, IAD, EWR, IAH
Non-hubs: AUS (not in app map yet, annoucned June 2022 per local news), ATL, BOS, DFW, MCO, PDX
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Based on terminal maps from app

Hubs: ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, IAD, EWR, IAH
Non-hubs: AUS (not in app map yet, annoucned June 2022 per local news), ATL, BOS, DFW, MCO, PDX
STL as a non-hub as well. All they did was re-purpose some of the check in Kiosks for a dedicated bag drop area only, with about 1/3rd of them for bag drop and 1/3rd each for Premier Access and Economy.
Old Jul 30, 2023, 9:36 am

Has the bag drop been saving any time vs the standard Premier Access/Polaris check-in at EWR?
Old Aug 23, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I have the background for my flight tomorrow from PIT. But I didn't think PIT had a bag shortcut. I did not have this color with a checked bag from EDI yesterday.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I had an annoying encounter at LAS last week. Really crowded in Premier Access check-in and I had a tool bag to check. Printed out tag, attached it to bag, and got in bag drop line. People at counter were taking a long time.

Noticed guy ahead of me didn't have tag and I mentioned the kiosk he was standing next to could print out the tag to make it easier/faster when it was his turn at the counter. He (very condescendingly) pointed at the bag drop sign over the counter and said that the sign was there because that was where they check in bags for people. I just rolled my eyes and let it go (at the same time, wanting to pull the wrecking bar out of my bag ).

Shortly, an agent out front of counter announced she'd take any bags with tags, so I stepped in front of him and rolled by bag over to her. Very satisfying. Wish I had thought of telling him to "enjoy his wait" as I passed him.
sczcardfan likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 23, 2023 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
I have the background for my flight tomorrow from PIT. But I didn't think PIT had a bag shortcut. I did not have this color with a checked bag from EDI yesterday.
90% sure there was a bag drop shortcut at PIT last time I flew from there
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mogi67
90% sure there was a bag drop shortcut at PIT last time I flew from there
There are bag drops at many airports (HNL, LAS, for example) that are not the same thing as the ones being promoted at hubs and a few select other airports. I think the ones being promoted have a BP scanner at the counter. You go straight to counter after checking bags online instead instead of going to kiosk, then to counter.

In true UA fashion - all "bag drops" are not the promoted new "bag drops".
tods27 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I had an annoying encounter at LAS last week. Really crowded in Premier Access check-in and I had a tool bag to check. Printed out tag, attached it to bag, and got in bag drop line. People at counter were taking a long time.

Noticed guy ahead of me didn't have tag and I mentioned the kiosk he was standing next to could print out the tag to make it easier/faster when it was his turn at the counter. He (very condescendingly) pointed at the bag drop sign over the counter and said that the sign was there because that was where they check in bags for people. I just rolled my eyes and let it go (at the same time, wanting to pull the wrecking bar out of my bag ).

Shortly, an agent out front of counter announced she'd take any bags with tags, so I stepped in front of him and rolled by bag over to her. Very satisfying. Wish I had thought of telling him to "enjoy his wait" as I passed him.
We checked some bags a few weeks ago in DEN and they were making announcements at the "Premier Bag Drop" area that people needed to get tags at a kiosk. There were people who had tags, mixed with people who didn't, and there were no real lines, just a mass of people. Of course, in DEN, there is the "Baggage Drop", the "Premier Baggage Drop" and the "Bag Drop Shortcut" (subject of this thread). I think that next time I actually have a bag to check, I'll try out the "Bag Drop Shortcut".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.