Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Virtual agent link

https://united.fiveout.app/welcome
Print Wikipost

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Was in the UA Club near B6 at ORD last night and the area where the service agents sit (2nd floor top of escalator) was barricaded off. On the way out, I asked the check-in agents about it and she said they were going all virtual and there would be no more in-person agents available to assist with travel needs/issues going forward. I told her that having an in-person agent was one of the reason people pay for the club. She agreed and suggested I write to United. Anyone else aware of this?
SPN Lifer and N1120A like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by doug_999
Was in the UA Club near B6 at ORD last night and the area where the service agents sit (2nd floor top of escalator) was barricaded off. On the way out, I asked the check-in agents about it and she said they were going all virtual and there would be no more in-person agents available to assist with travel needs/issues going forward. I told her that having an in-person agent was one of the reason people pay for the club. She agreed and suggested I write to United. Anyone else aware of this?
Wow, if this is true, it looks like dropping my UC membership was the right thing to do.
karenkay and N1120A like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:12 am
Suspended

Is this just for ORD or across the system? If true, terrible news.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by doug_999
I told her that having an in-person agent was one of the reason people pay for the club.
+1

Terrible news if true.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess this affects mainly hubs? I’m thinking of Clubs like HNL or LAS where there’s no dedicated service desks I.e. where the agents check entry credentials and can help also with reservations. Pretty hard for agents at hub Clubs to do the same, considering the traffic.

UC members/admitted better get priority for day-of-travel issues, which is probably more likely to occur at hubs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
This is not good. I used virtual assistance at SFO in mid-December and it took about 5 minutes of pressing buttons on the phone, listening to options, etc, until I finally got to speak to someone. A real person would have answered my question in less than 10 seconds.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by 1kBill
This is not good. I used virtual assistance at SFO in mid-December and it took about 5 minutes of pressing buttons on the phone, listening to options, etc, until I finally got to speak to someone. A real person would have answered my question in less than 10 seconds.
It's like calling in and then deciding to chat. Oh yah right that will work when I'm driving!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
I thought this was a done deal for a long time already. I don't recall exactly when as travel during 2020-21 was quite a foggy time, but the agents at ORD B6 have been gone since early 2021 I believe. At first it was due to low traffic due to covid. Most people probably didn't' notice because you just walk by without paying attention if you aren't going there to seek assistance. It just seems as if they'd rather drive everyone to the app, chat or phone now. Another Kutback I guess.

AA still has agents in their Admirals clubs.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Between the Red Carpet Clubs - and UC - I've never used an agent in the Club for anything other wristbands for Hawaii travel - I wouldn't even know what I'd want them to do.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:31 pm

^^ Irrops issues, rebooking, upgrades, and in this day and age verification for Intl travel ready documents. Stuff you can do both on the phone and stuff you can't.
wcj1, SPN Lifer, jpezaris and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:05 pm

Although it may sound strange in this day and age, some people do not carry a phone with them when they fly, especially internationally. I am one of those people. I've used the Club agents many times during IROPS (which happen quite often at hubs like EWR or ORD), and I would be very disappointed if they are gone for good. There's little else of value in many UCs.
SPN Lifer and DNAWilly like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

There are agents by the entrance downstairs. In B18 the lower level still has an agent on duty as well as on the entry floor level.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Between the Red Carpet Clubs - and UC - I've never used an agent in the Club for anything other wristbands for Hawaii travel - I wouldn't even know what I'd want them to do.
In 4MM+, you've never run into irr/ops??!!

Please let me fly with you...
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

There are agents by the entrance downstairs. In B18 the lower level still has an agent on duty as well as on the entry floor level.
Check in attendants at ORD B6 check you in. They don't work issues.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
In 4MM+, you've never run into irr/ops??!!
Of course I have - albeit not as much as it seems to happen to everyone else on this forum. The vast majority of my flying had been international - and other than the occasional delay - never had an issue. The extremely rare times I've had a cancel, I'd know before I left for the airport. Now that I've been in Hawaii the past 10+ years - those flights rarely cancel or delay and in the very rare times they do, I've never had an issue getting auto-rebooked - and nowadays I'd just call the GS line to take care of things.
Dublin_rfk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.