Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:03 pm

I am a bit confused on the companion forced award option. I know there is now a policy that GS are only entitled to open up one *segment* in Saver Business for a companion when the GS is booked in paid Polaris. If I have a paid ticket JNB-EWR-SFO in J, with no saver space available (in Y or J) on either segment, will UA open up a saver award with one segment in Polaris and one in Economy (I.E JNB-EWR in J and EWR-SFO in Y for ~88k miles)? Or am I just SOL on the second segment, and would need to book it separately / separate ticket?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
That is a big surprise. I thought GS purchasing a revenue J ticket still can request GS desk to force an upgrade of a companion. Did you ask?
Is this J fare bucked or J cabin? If I purchase for example a Z or P fare can I also force the upgrade of a companion with PP?

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Just flew SFO-CDG in J. Wife (1K) and I sat next to each other on the same reservation. FA came around for meals and asked, "Ms. McFly, can I have your meal choice, and as there are so many 1Ks on board, can I have your 2nd choice as well?" Brought a smile to my face 😊 which was met with the typical look my wife gives me when I behave childishly.

FA then proceeded to ask, "Mr. McFly, What would you like for dinner, and there are over 25 GS on board, so may I have your 2nd choice as well?" My smile quickly disappeared 😢 as I politely rattled off my two choices. Needless to say, Ms McFly had fun 😂 with that over the next 10.5 hours...

​​​​​
25 GS?! Remind me to stay away from routes you fly! I’ve never seen more than 5-10 (mainly out of IAD)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2022 at 12:16 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Is this J fare bucked or J cabin? If I purchase for example a Z or P fare can I also force the upgrade of a companion with PP?
Yes, you can, for one segment of the trip only.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere

25 GS?! Remind me to stay away from routes you fly! I’ve never seen more than 5-10 (mainly out of IAD)
My bet is on a lazy FA who did not want to deal with a little more work
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by manstein58
My bet is on a lazy FA who did not want to deal with a little more work
I've gotten the same garbage from an FA more than once before. In one case, I knew there were only 4 GS because I saw the list in the GS reps hands. I suspect the flight attendant was either being ignorant or lazy, just adding all the 1Ks and GS together, because it makes prioritization easier.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
I wasn't around for pre-boarding so don't have a 2nd validation point. The Bay Area has a ton of GS, who are in their 3rd year of extension. The upcoming status purge will address that but the announced PP extension will insure those legacy GS will flex their PPs until July of '23.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:53 pm

The upcoming status purge will address that but the announced PP extension will insure those legacy GS will flex their PPs until July of '23.
The GS PPs aren't an actual separate currency. The system just looks at the status of the account they're coming from when they're being applied, and prioritizes differently if the redeeming account holds GS status. Once the status purge hits, those PPs are going to get applied (going forward) at whatever level the GS member falls to until they're either redeemed or expire.
TerryK and PanAmWT like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:20 pm

I wasn't around for pre-boarding so don't have a 2nd validation point. The Bay Area has a ton of GS, who are in their 3rd year of extension. The upcoming status purge will address that but the announced PP extension will insure those legacy GS will flex their PPs until July of '23.
Is the status purge confirmed or mostly theorized? Seems like 2022 has been mostly "normal" for flying patterns so this year is the obvious year to cull the herd.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Silver
After 7 years of GS i am sure i will be purged. No international travel for my work yet.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by PBIFLL
After 7 years of GS i am sure i will be purged. No international travel for my work yet.
Past GS who got purged would receive soft-landing to 1K. Some even got 320 good-will PP.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 7:32 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Had a nice one at DEN today. After running ORD > DEN for a quick meeting downtown, had to speed back to DEN to get to AUS tonight. Was on the tram with 5 minutes until boarding at B17, no chance do I make pre-board right? When I'm 2 gates down I hear them call GS for Austin and I just resign myself to boarding with group 1. To my surprise, I get to B17 and the GA sees me making moves in the queue and waits. She looks at me and says "There are 3 of you and I wasn't going to start the boarding until I got at least one of you!". It was honestly really nice given that I was in 1A with a briefcase and a carry-on.
uanj, Duke777, Dyce and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Is pushing through a PP upgrade at 72 hours now called an exception that only is given once per itinerary? This is ridiculous.

I had supervisors tell me that the exception is only for converting or opening space. For upgrade push throughs that it is not but now they are saying it is.

Does that mean now booking two one ways where possible is ideal?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
Is pushing through a PP upgrade at 72 hours now called an exception that only is given once per itinerary? This is ridiculous.

I had supervisors tell me that the exception is only for converting or opening space. For upgrade push throughs that it is not but now they are saying it is.

Does that mean now booking two one ways where possible is ideal?
I've never experienced this. I believe you encountered a few confused folks.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Well, same thing happened to me yesterday evening.
She said “let me take care of this for you”.
She confirmed the uprade and said “ I will document this for this exception”.

I noticed it but thought she was confused.

I guess not.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by benewr
Well, same thing happened to me yesterday evening.
She said “let me take care of this for you”.
She confirmed the uprade and said “ I will document this for this exception”.

I noticed it but thought she was confused.

I guess not.
Interesting development if true. Let's see if there are additional validation points. I'll believe it when someone is actually denied a push at T-72, when they're #1 on the UG list, and J>2.

The companion benefit limited to one way, I understand. IMO, GS benefits should mainly accrue to the GS member. Limiting the T-72 benefit for the GS member seems petty as most of those upgrades will ultimately clear. But let's see...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.