Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Interesting development if true. Let's see if there are additional validation points. I'll believe it when someone is actually denied a push at T-72, when they're #1 on the UG list, and J>2.

The companion benefit limited to one way, I understand. IMO, GS benefits should mainly accrue to the GS member. Limiting the T-72 benefit for the GS member seems petty as most of those upgrades will ultimately clear. But let's see...
spoke to 3 agents now who said because I had an exception on my outbound they will not confirm the return despite me being #1 and J>2 and T<72.

”we granted an exception on the outbound and we can only make one exception per ticket”

This is disgusting.
limey1K and porciuscato like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
I never book both ways in Y, but often J eastbound, W back.
Still, since May of this year, I have been at times sternly warned when I call to clear the return WtoJ at T-72 that "good thing you paid J on your way there as we can only do this one-way".

I brought it up a few times in this thread but most dismissed my reports as being run-ins with inexperienced agents.

And sure enough, there are recent reports of people successfully HUCAing their way out of this predicament, so keep trying and let us know if you eventually succeed.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
spoke to 3 agents now who said because I had an exception on my outbound they will not confirm the return despite me being #1 and J>2 and T<72.
Manually clearing upgrades is limited to one per itinerary and applies to a GS travelling alone or with one companion.. Apparently since September of last year, though it appears to be enforced more regularly based on reports here. I'm wondering if due to all the new GS agents getting trained on this, you are getting them applying the policy as it's written now, whereas older ones might still apply it as it historically was because they either haven't looked at the policy again, weren't retrained, or just ignored the change.

Originally Posted by maxinkuckee04
Does that mean now booking two one ways where possible is ideal?
Yes and no, because the policy specifically addresses that scenario as still being one exception total, not each when it is one-ways. Though how they would enforce that? I figure as long as you don't ask the same agent to do it on the same call to avoid the other one way being documented, it should be able to slip through..
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K/AF Plat/Marriott Titanium/Hertz PC (who isn't?)/National Exec Elite/CFA Signature
Some musings: couple weeks ago had to fly to FRA from NYC. UA was $12.5k and SQ on the fifth-freedom 388 was $4k. Out of JFK and with a later departure time in the evening, which I prefer.
So, somewhat reluctantly, I booked SQ and told myself it'd be nice to experience that amazing experience everyone raves about, as compared to what I agree is mostly sub-par service on UA (to say nothing of the inedible food).

Eastbound, I don't interact with the crew at all, ever. During boarding I tell them, in fact beg them to please let me sleep until the very last minute. "I will not go to the restroom, I will not stand up at all. When you go to your jumpsuit for landing tap my shoulder and I'll sit up, that's it". I have a 70% success rate with that; 30% of the time they wake me up during the cabin check 40 minutes before landing which always annoys me.
Anyway, the point is, eastbound, only the seat/bedding matters. And boy was I missing my usual odd-numbered Polaris window seat as I tried to fall asleep on that rock-hard SQ bed (and keep my legs parked in that to-the-side box). Say what you will about UA's service and food, but their seat is my favorite across the Atlantic.

Westbound, well, I thought the SQ service was indeed miles better, and the food better too though still nothing to write home about. But even on the day flight, the seat was just a horrible place to spend such a prolonged period of time.

Anyway, was a cushier seat worth an extra $8.5k? Of course not. But this experiment did make me realize how little I actually care about the things we complain about so much on here, i.e. service and food. To me, flying J is about sleep and comfort, and UA delivers on that very consistently.

And with that in mind, I have renewed appreciation for GS and now fear that one TATL I didn't fly with them will be the make-or-break for my 2023 requal. Which would be ironic as I had really hoped that SQ flight would serve to convince me being a free-agent is better. Nope.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
I think the confusion is around this wording:

"Manually clearing upgrades is limited to one per itinerary and applies to a GS traveling alone or with one companion..."

I believe this wording/policy is intended to apply to forcibly opening upgrade space for a companion. That is a harsh override of inventory management and can easily cost UA $5K-$10K on a RT.

The T-72 upgrade is not a harsh action. It just accelerates what will likely happen anyway. At most, it'll cost UA a buy-up.

My guess is agents are incorrectly applying the policy to T-72 pushes when they really shouldn't.

More data points will tell us. Let's see...
wxguy and n8-the-gr8 like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:51 pm

I think the confusion is around this wording:

"Manually clearing upgrades is limited to one per itinerary and applies to a GS traveling alone or with one companion..."
I paraphrased what the agent read off as the exact portion of the policy. The wording isn't really ambiguous or confusing at all and makes clear the policy also applies to clearing upgrades for the GS member when travelling alone. Instead of waiting for more data points, you can just call and ask them to read the exact policy they're acting based on, it's the 4th bullet point.

I
More data points will tell us. Let's see...
Or you can wait for more data points if you still want to hold out hope and avoid getting the inevitable confirmation of how the policy asks for this benefit to be applied. "Confusion over wording" is an isolated incident, not multiple agents and supervisors saying the same thing, to multiple different people, regarding multiple different itineraries.
SPN Lifer and Gate45 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: United Global Services, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Award Tickets with Paid First Class - Global Services

You used to be able to get a companion upgraded to first with saver level mileage award (with or without PlusPoints) if you purchased a first class ticket. Then it was only permitted for a one-way upgrade. Today when I tried they would only upgrade a single SEGMENT! It's amazing how the GS benefits continue to erode.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 4, 2022 at 11:31 am Reason: moved to discussion thread
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:07 am

Discussed here.
Just wait until you find out you can only force the upgrade for yourself once too.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 4, 2022 at 11:31 am Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Nov 5, 2022, 12:32 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Gate45
Some musings: couple weeks ago had to fly to FRA from NYC. UA was $12.5k and SQ on the fifth-freedom 388 was $4k. Out of JFK and with a later departure time in the evening, which I prefer.
So, somewhat reluctantly, I booked SQ and told myself it'd be nice to experience that amazing experience everyone raves about, as compared to what I agree is mostly sub-par service on UA (to say nothing of the inedible food).

Eastbound, I don't interact with the crew at all, ever. During boarding I tell them, in fact beg them to please let me sleep until the very last minute. "I will not go to the restroom, I will not stand up at all. When you go to your jumpsuit for landing tap my shoulder and I'll sit up, that's it". I have a 70% success rate with that; 30% of the time they wake me up during the cabin check 40 minutes before landing which always annoys me.
Anyway, the point is, eastbound, only the seat/bedding matters. And boy was I missing my usual odd-numbered Polaris window seat as I tried to fall asleep on that rock-hard SQ bed (and keep my legs parked in that to-the-side box). Say what you will about UA's service and food, but their seat is my favorite across the Atlantic.

Westbound, well, I thought the SQ service was indeed miles better, and the food better too though still nothing to write home about. But even on the day flight, the seat was just a horrible place to spend such a prolonged period of time.

Anyway, was a cushier seat worth an extra $8.5k? Of course not. But this experiment did make me realize how little I actually care about the things we complain about so much on here, i.e. service and food. To me, flying J is about sleep and comfort, and UA delivers on that very consistently.

And with that in mind, I have renewed appreciation for GS and now fear that one TATL I didn't fly with them will be the make-or-break for my 2023 requal. Which would be ironic as I had really hoped that SQ flight would serve to convince me being a free-agent is better. Nope.
I think the old SQ business seats are the worst lie-flats unless you get the front row.. Not only the issue you raised, but most of the time you need a FA to help converting between a seat and a bed. Further, in the seat position I cannot recline too much because my legs are restricted by the monitor. I don't really care about how they are the widest business class seats. I heard SQ has upgraded its J seats but have not experienced it yet.

Also I remember SQ turns up the cabin temperature too high.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I think the old SQ business seats are the worst lie-flats unless you get the front row.. Not only the issue you raised, but most of the time you need a FA to help converting between a seat and a bed. Further, in the seat position I cannot recline too much because my legs are restricted by the monitor. I don't really care about how they are the widest business class seats. I heard SQ has upgraded its J seats but have not experienced it yet.

Also I remember SQ turns up the cabin temperature too high.
I’m afraid my flight was on the new business seat, and the only issue it fixes vs the old one is how you can recline to flat as with any other seat.
Anyway, OT for this thread but my point was a renewed appreciation for the Polaris seat.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
Something I think it's new..... you get plus points... you book and get upgraded on the first leg.... because of space... and you can push it through 3 days pre departure..... now. on the return, they say, you were upgraded on the way in (with plus points) , so they can't confirm for the return, is that the new norm? I think that is so odd.... and if it's true, how can we go around this, I tried HUCA but same convo... Also, waiting anxiously about being able to be once again GS again next year.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by cbono
Something I think it's new..... you get plus points... you book and get upgraded on the first leg.... because of space... and you can push it through 3 days pre departure..... now. on the return, they say, you were upgraded on the way in (with plus points) , so they can't confirm for the return, is that the new norm? I think that is so odd.... and if it's true, how can we go around this, I tried HUCA but same convo... Also, waiting anxiously about being able to be once again GS again next year.
Discussed in this thread a couple days ago. Start at post 1227. But yes, the policy is one exception/manual intervention request per itinerary, and pushing through at 72 hours is considered an exception as it overrides the automated systems which would normally process upgrades.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:25 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I'm at $60K spend on UA this year and about to shut down travel to be on baby watch for the month of December. After an LHR RT trip on AA Sunday/Tuesday I'll be at $47K on AA. I won't be back in the air until late January next year and all of my INTL flights will be going to AA. Yes the seat is not as good but the lounges and irrops have been way better than UA and I'm just doing the western Europe from US hub flights so 3 hours of sleep vs. 4 hours of sleep really doesn't matter to me.

This week I am ORD > LAS > CLT > JFK > ORD and my UA flight out had a paperwork delay and misplaced my golf clubs with the GS desk doing almost nothing to help track them down. Meanwhile, this morning an AA rep found me in the Amex lounge before my CLT flight boarded. They literally sent me a text message and asked where I was so they could escort me. For some stupid domestic Wednesday AM flight at a non-hub. The AA rep told me I was the only CK on his morning schedule so he had nothing better to do. CK > GS for the moment.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:49 pm
cnk

GS Upgrading Award Tickets

I know that a Global Services member can use their PlusPoints to upgrade award travel, while lower tiered members cannot. However, is the question whose PlusPoints are being used? Or whose miles are being used? The PlusPoints and miles could be coming from different people:

Example 1: Global Services member uses his miles for an award ticket. A lesser member wants to use his PlusPoints to upgrade that PNR.
Example 2: A lesser member uses his miles for an award ticket. A Global Services member wants to use his PlusPoints to upgrade that PNR.

In which of those situations is an upgrade possible?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cnk
I know that a Global Services member can use their PlusPoints to upgrade award travel, while lower tiered members cannot. However, is the question whose PlusPoints are being used? Or whose miles are being used? The PlusPoints and miles could be coming from different people:

Example 1: Global Services member uses his miles for an award ticket. A lesser member wants to use his PlusPoints to upgrade that PNR.
Example 2: A lesser member uses his miles for an award ticket. A Global Services member wants to use his PlusPoints to upgrade that PNR.

In which of those situations is an upgrade possible?

Thanks!
Both XN Award ticket and PP must be from GS accounts.

Different GS accounts are OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.