Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Dec 31, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: st530
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).
GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Last year's thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2021]

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number with fastest pickup times, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

Most benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Can now be completed online/via the app, in most circumstances.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service for one segment of the itinerary with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased, and for one segment in the itinerary, per caveats noted below. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy. (Note: VIP Lounges in NRT and HKG remain closed due to Covid-19; LHR VIP now open.)
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will not give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per round trip journey. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]

Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I show PN8 as well...

I've been having issues with this as well -- even with selecting an economy plus seat it is asking me for payment lol... My solution is to purchase -- let it ticket -- and then go back in and apply the upgrade -- and it works instantly.... At least for me -- it seems to forget my status completely when buying tickets lately -- and it's been like this for several weeks....
The problem is, when I try to upgrade an economy award ticket, the system allows me to do that.

So the system sometimes does not forget my status,

PN8 but PP upgrade is waitlisted. I'll give it a day or two. If it doesn't clear then I'll call GS desk.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by kb1992
The problem is, when I try to upgrade an economy award ticket, the system allows me to do that.

So the system sometimes does not forget my status,

PN8 but PP upgrade is waitlisted. I'll give it a day or two. If it doesn't clear then I'll call GS desk.
DON'T WAIT -- that PN8 could evaporate at any time - if removing and reapplying doesn't work call them ASAP.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by porciuscato
What I got from one agent was: "Yes, there are 8 seats available and you are on the top of the waitlist, but I can't clear it because the rule is you can't clear any upgrades if there is more than one GS on the waitlist [even below you]" !!!

They are apparently rolling out some new rules, but many agents appear to be improvising on top of those. The new culture seems to be: when in doubt, thwart the customer.
It is clear that GS isn't a priority at this point. If it were, even with all of the complicated rules that exist, a fundamental part of the training would be "these are our most valuable customers - spending in excess of $50K a year - and it's important that you accommodate them in all cases as best you can". Instead, it seems to be - "we're promoting you to a new desk. The status has this longer name - but it's basically just another category - here are all the technical nuanced rules you must learn or you will be disciplined if we review your record and you're making exceptions that aren't allowed".
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
It is clear that GS isn't a priority at this point. If it were, even with all of the complicated rules that exist, a fundamental part of the training would be "these are our most valuable customers - spending in excess of $50K a year - and it's important that you accommodate them in all cases as best you can". Instead, it seems to be - "we're promoting you to a new desk.
The problem is a very small subset of GS repeatedly using what are unpublished benefits.

This is easily solved by publishing all GS benefits to all GS members - publish any unpublished benefits and stop honoring those they aren't willing to publish - and property set expectations.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DON'T WAIT -- that PN8 could evaporate at any time - if removing and reapplying doesn't work call them ASAP.
I decided to do more experiment. So I asked my GS co-worker about this. He logged in his account, got the PNR.

It shows 7 seats available for upgrade (PN7 now).

Apparently, united.com sometimes doesn't remember my GS status, and recognizes his GS status.

Other times my GS status is recognized since I tried to upgrade an award ticket and it went through.

This is quite interesting.

BTW, that flight on Dec.3 has shown between PN6 and PN8 for two months. So I am not really worried.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Just completed my first SFO-TPE trip in three years. Had mandarin speaking flight attendants - most of them from Taiwan, one was from Hong Kong. In the past the Asia-based FAs were always great, those based in BKK, HKG, SIN, TPE, NRT. Even after they closed the TPE base, the many FAs continued to serve UA by transferring to NRT. I came to know more than two dozens of them.
This time, we flew SFO-TPE UA871 on 11/6. Almost the entire FA crew was speaking the Taiwanese version of mandarin. Everyone was indifferent. I don't care whether anyone recognized my GS status, but I was surprised that they all seemed unable to smile (may be with one or two exceptions). Most of them were just robots. A somewhat heavy FA in her 40-50s (not sure whether the purser) was very efficient, quickly conducted all predeparture routines - closing overhead bins etc,, but in such a way she almost pushed a few standing passengers out of her way or into their seats, The return flight TPE-SFO UA872 had half Caucasian and half Asian FAs, it was not better, although one older Caucasian gentleman FA was nice enough that he did not seem to react like I was bothering him.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
What I got from one agent was: "Yes, there are 8 seats available and you are on the top of the waitlist, but I can't clear it because the rule is you can't clear any upgrades if there is more than one GS on the waitlist [even below you]" !!!

They are apparently rolling out some new rules, but many agents appear to be improvising on top of those. The new culture seems to be: when in doubt, thwart the customer.
that is an insane and pointless rule that makes it basically a worthless perk
Old Nov 19, 2022, 8:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These exceptions were intended to be exceptions, not the rule. Obviously United is "cracking down" not because they despise GS members, but because the informal blogosphere publication of "rules" surrounding these exceptions (such J>2) is creating expectations, and ultimately displacing revenue. Before the new restrictions kicked in, some savvy GS members were probably using the "exceptions" more like a "business class companion pass" with "coach fare co-pay". Most probably weren't. Most GS members fly a lot alone on expensive fares and occasionally want to take a family member along for the ride.

But seriously, if a flight on a route is routinely showing J4 C0-- or even J6 C0-- and the same GS member routinely snags forced seats on that flight/route for a companion (which is a realistic hypothetical), that one GS member could end up displacing significant revenue, flight after flight. The "half-roundtrip" rule at least puts some skin back in the game-- in other words, no more roundtrip "business class companion pass" with "coach fare co-pay".

It is a shame that a few savvy GS members likely decided to game the system over and over again and abuse what were truly intended to be exceptions in a way that obviously ended up being sufficiently damaging to United's bottom line that they had to start saying "no" to all GS members. Don't think for a moment that United likes saying "no" to any GS member request.
SPN Lifer, uanj and manstein58 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 9:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ari
These exceptions were intended to be exceptions, not the rule. Obviously United is "cracking down" not because they despise GS members, but because the informal blogosphere publication of "rules" surrounding these exceptions (such J>2) is creating expectations, and ultimately displacing revenue. .....
Only UA has the data but if companions were becoming a significant portion of GS upgrades or some companions was getting a significant number of upgrades due to these exceptions, this may have caused other GSs to miss-out on upgrades or as you mention decrease the revenue sales opportunities. So this may come down to making one GS happy made another GS unhappy -- a dilemma for UA. The excess of PlusPoints in the eco-system has not helped.

Perhaps a more manageable situation would be to cap the number of companion upgrades for a given GS, X wildcards. Perhaps have tiers levels.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2022 at 9:28 am Reason: Perhaps have tiers levels.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only UA has the data but if companions were becoming a significant portion of GS upgrades or some companions was getting a significant number of upgrades due to these exceptions, this may have caused other GSs to miss-out on upgrades or as you mention decrease the revenue sales opportunities. So this may come down to making one GS happy made another GS unhappy -- a dilemma for UA. The excess of PlusPoints in the eco-system has not helped.

Perhaps a more manageable situation would be to cap the number of companion upgrades for a given GS, X wildcards. Perhaps have tiers levels.
I would argue that most GS have no idea about unpublished benefits unless they are on FT. As is repeatedly pointed out on this forum, the people here are not an accurate representation of the overall MP population. Without the GS wiki on this site, Id have no idea about the exceptions previously permitted for GS members.

Ive sat next and spoken to many GS over the years and 75% have no idea about the items on the wiki. All they know is whats published on the official GS Benefits site and thats not much more than 1K.

I do not believe there are enough people who understand these soft benefits to game the system enough to cause UA to lose so much revenue that it bubbled to the top as something that needs addressing. I think Kirby has a plan to trim the ranks and trim the benefits across the MP board and GS is just another casualty of these cuts.

So let me ask a related question: With the current state of benefit erosion at the GS level, is there a point in spending $50K+ or just hit the $24K threshold for 1K and shop around with the other $26K?
tcdtcd, porciuscato and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Everyone was indifferent. I don't care whether anyone recognized my GS status, but I was surprised that they all seemed unable to smile (may be with one or two exceptions). Most of them were just robots.
Robots would be great. At least United would solve the consistency issue. Role them out system-wide.
limey1K likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by limey1K
I’ve sat next and spoken to many GS over the years and 75% have no idea about the items on the wiki. All they know is what’s published on the official GS Benefits site and that’s not much more than 1K.

I do not believe there are enough people who understand these soft benefits to “game the system enough to cause UA to lose so much revenue that it bubbled to the top as something that needs addressing. I think Kirby has a plan to trim the ranks and trim the benefits across the MP board and GS is just another casualty of these cuts.

So let me ask a related question: With the current state of benefit erosion at the GS level, is there a point in spending $50K+ or just hit the $24K threshold for 1K and shop around with the other $26K?
I do agree with you -- but there must be enough of them out there to retrain all these agents on the "unpublished" rules - otherwise why do it if it's just a rounding error?

As to spending the incremental $24k -- I spend well over $100k+ per year (combination work + pleasure) and UA's share continues to slide down -- but I maintain GS because of XN upgradeability & PN availability. Living in Tokyo and NYC makes this feature very cost effective -- in fact I'm flying home in a few days for 35k miles and PP upgrade in J on UA.

If I lose that I don't even know if 1K is worth it any more... The loss of companion tickets and then exception processing for one segment only were solid body blows -- If I lose XN/PN that's the knockout -- I already regularly miss domestic upgrades (and international ones too), don't care about tarmac transfers, and don't really care about boarding first (I'd rather be last lol)...
Old Nov 19, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Living in Tokyo and NYC makes this feature very cost effective -- in fact I'm flying home in a few days for 35k miles and PP upgrade in J on UA.

If I lose that I don't even know if 1K is worth it any more... The loss of companion tickets and then exception processing for one segment only were solid body blows -- If I lose XN/PN that's the knockout -- I already regularly miss domestic upgrades (and international ones too), don't care about tarmac transfers, and don't really care about boarding first (I'd rather be last lol)...
+1

The ability of upgrading 35K XN ticket is a tremendous benefit. I have booked few XN tickets BOS-EWR-NRT for next May family travel and successfully confirmed to PN.

These tickets are expensive if you pay cash.

I don't care much about tarmac transfer or boarding order either (although once I boarded last and were in a nasty situation that all overhead beans were full in F).
Old Nov 19, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kb1992
+1

The ability of upgrading 35K XN ticket is a tremendous benefit. I have booked few XN tickets BOS-EWR-NRT for next May family travel and successfully confirmed to PN.

These tickets are expensive if you pay cash.

I don't care much about tarmac transfer or boarding order either (although once I boarded last and were in a nasty situation that all overhead beans were full in F).
PN is tough to find in my experience. How many seats can be upgraded from XN on a single PNR?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K
PN is tough to find in my experience. How many seats can be upgraded from XN on a single PNR?
As long as there is PN Ive never been restricted - up to 5 is my max.
SPN Lifer and limey1K like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.