Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by briannaherrfnerr
Does anyone know if this partnership means that we'll earn PQP's for Virgin Australia flights? If so, is it a "divide by 5" (ie, Preferred) partner or a "divide by 6"?
Thanks
My flight on May 29 just posted (I needed to submit a claim which was initially denied as ineligible for some reason).
BNK-SYD on VA ticket and flight number.
Base miles 379
Total miles 379
PQF 1
PQP 76

As 379/5 = 75.8 this meant divide by 5 for me. YMMV
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussieinsf
My flight on May 29 just posted (I needed to submit a claim which was initially denied as ineligible for some reason).
BNK-SYD on VA ticket and flight number.
Base miles 379
Total miles 379
PQF 1
PQP 76

As 379/5 = 75.8 this meant divide by 5 for me. YMMV
Interesting. The VA earnings page doesn't have a section on Premier Qualification, and the Preferred vs. Non-preferred page doesn't mention them at all. I had taken that to mean that VA flights weren't eligible for Premier qualification.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:13 pm

awesome! thanks for the info!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I did SFO-SYD-MEL last week on UA/VA single ticket.
Immigration at SYD was a breeze, but luggage took awhile. Once clearning custom before exit door, there is a door on the left that connects you to the VA transfer desk. Look out for the sign.

Transfer, rechecking the bag (single luggage tag issued by UA), and issuing the boarding pass took less than 5 min.
The longest wait is the bus from T3 to T1. There were mutiple flights arriving during early morning, so the line was long, I got onto the third bus after I got into the waitling line. The buses were crowded and luggages were stored on the seats and between seats, so made it hard to get out of bus if you were stuck in the back. The buses were packed because many passengers were desparate to get to their connecting fights.

Once I was in the VA lounge, nice flat white and full breakfast made me forgetting the unpleasant bus ride quickly.
It would be a much pleasant experience if the inter-terminal bus transfer can be improved.

I budged 3 hours for the transit, and glad I did not take the VA agent's offer to get on an earlier flight (an hour earlier), I needed the extra time for waiting for the bus, and clear security at the domestic terminal. A 40-min relaxing vist in the VA lounge with great coffee is a nice break after a long 15-hour flight. It would be even nicer if the showers were working at the VA lounge.
Nice to hear there is a luggage transfer desk! That is great news I was worried schlepping my luggage T3-T1
Old Jun 22, 2022, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
Nice to hear there is a luggage transfer desk! That is great news I was worried schlepping my luggage T3-T1
I just did SFO-SYD-MEL again today and transfer from UA to VS is seamless via the transfer deck luggage drop off.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Still a long line for the bus?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Interesting. The VA earnings page doesn't have a section on Premier Qualification, and the Preferred vs. Non-preferred page doesn't mention them at all. I had taken that to mean that VA flights weren't eligible for Premier qualification.
This was my thought too, this is very interesting news and will probably cause me to switch my domestic flying here to Virgin. Should mean I get to 1K quicker as well as I already have a SYD-DPS coming up. Any other reports of PQP posting would be good to see.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by findark
Still a long line for the bus?
I arrived in Sydney earlier this week. I budgeted 4-hour transit for my connecting flight to Melbourne on VS.

It took over an hour for the ground staff to unload the luggage from the UA flight, and by the time I received my bags, it was 90+ min after landing. There were quite a few flights arriving in the early morning and Sydney airport is so short staffed to deal with unloading baggage from Emirate, Ethiad, SQ, TG and other flights during the peak morning arriving window.

it was a 10-min wait to clear customer due to large number of arrivals.

There were quite a number of passengers connecting onto VS for other destinations. It was about a 15-min wait to check bags with VS.

Then, there was the line to wait for the bus. Yes, it was long but three buses happened to arrive within 5 min of each other, so the wait was only about 15 min. The ride took about 25 min due to traffic and road construction.

By the time I clear security at domestic terminal, it was about 3 hours after landing. A 30-min stay at VS lounge and my flight was ready for boarding.

This was my second UA-VS experience at SYD in less than a month, and I am glad I budgeted 4-hour transit for the connection on both occasions.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:14 am

In the past I've always used the train to connect between the International and Domestic terminals in SYD. Is the train still in operation?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JetAway
In the past I've always used the train to connect between the International and Domestic terminals in SYD. Is the train still in operation?
I rode it back in April. Lifesaver
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by simong
This was my thought too, this is very interesting news and will probably cause me to switch my domestic flying here to Virgin. Should mean I get to 1K quicker as well as I already have a SYD-DPS coming up. Any other reports of PQP posting would be good to see.
My fiancée and I just did four VA legs on VA tickets and PQP/PQF have posted for her. Still waiting for them to hit my account.

Good recognition of elite benefits as well. It’s not automatic but by showing United membership card in the app, we were able to get every benefit listed without hassle.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Yes. The primary difference being that the train has a cost where the bus is free (the train isn't an inter-terminal train as such, it's just a standard train that happens to stop at both terminals). However the train will generally be faster.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The train is also easily paid for by using a contactless credit card at the entrance to the station and again at exit. No need to buy a ticket. Station access is easy and doesn't involve a very long walk. During morning peak hours train frequency is very good (every 4-8 mins) and the travel time itself is 2 mins. Train fare is roughly AUD 5-6 depending on whether peak or off peak.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Has anyone been able to assign seats on VA awards issued by United?

The system stupidly put us in 1A/F and 2A/F .... and I cant find the way to edit it. VA says must call...
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Has anyone been able to assign seats on VA awards issued by United?

The system stupidly put us in 1A/F and 2A/F .... and I cant find the way to edit it. VA says must call...
I called to assign seats to my UA award but subsequently downloaded the VA app and was able to change seats. Maybe try the app?
rankourabu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.