Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:39 pm

AKL would be a very good transit point for ex-BNE passengers (using UA's other partnership with NZ) considering it's very unlikely that UA will fly on the BNE-USA (SFO or LAX) route for the foreseeable future (unless if the Queensland Government gets involved by approaching UA with a 'subsidy' offer)

Assuming UA doesn't set up in BNE with their metal and are content with sending pax via SYD/MEL (or even AKL with the existing NZ partnership), this would enable UA to throw the medium/low yielding passengers to/from BNE & Queensland via AKL (on NZ), whilst the FFs (MP & VFF) where most of the FF pax are willing to be sent via SYD or MEL.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The distance LAX-AKL-BNE & LAX-SYD-BNE is very close
A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper
But cannot see that happening
Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1k
Originally Posted by DanV
Apart from DL being the biggest loser, the other loser would have to be BNE/Queensland, leaving BNE-USA as a QF monopoly.

No immediate plans by UA to fly to BNE for the short term, and will rely on VA codeshares for the foreseeable future.

Only chance of UA entering BNE in the short term is if the Queensland State Premier offers taxpayer money UA's way to start BNE to LAX or SFO under the Attracting Aviation Investment Fund, which would effectively make the UA flight from BNE a (Queensland) taxpayer funded lease/charter.
Air Canada had a flight from BNE-YVR ( Vancouver) i dont think it was daily and it was a 787-8 with only 18 business class seats.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DanV
AKL would be a very good transit point for ex-BNE passengers (using UA's other partnership with NZ) considering it's very unlikely that UA will fly on the BNE-USA (SFO or LAX) route for the foreseeable future (unless if the Queensland Government gets involved by approaching UA with a 'subsidy' offer)

Assuming UA doesn't set up in BNE with their metal and are content with sending pax via SYD/MEL (or even AKL with the existing NZ partnership), this would enable UA to throw the medium/low yielding passengers to/from BNE & Queensland via AKL (on NZ), whilst the FFs (MP & VFF) where most of the FF pax are willing to be sent via SYD or MEL.
The minor inconvenience of connecting in AKL leaving AU for most non-AU/NZ passport holders is you still need a visa. Even thought it is pretty convenient and cheap, it is still something to do.

Has there been any announcement on the UA side? The one from the VA side is here.

I suppose this would be a good use of the Excursionist Perk. Prior to this, did SQ or NZ have any domestic traffic rights in AU?
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by username
The minor inconvenience of connecting in AKL leaving AU for most non-AU/NZ passport holders is you still need a visa. Even thought it is pretty convenient and cheap, it is still something to do.

Has there been any announcement on the UA side? The one from the VA side is here.

I suppose this would be a good use of the Excursionist Perk. Prior to this, did SQ or NZ have any domestic traffic rights in AU?
AU - NZ is a single aviation market (SAM).

Pre CV19 several non AU-NZ airlines flew AU<--->NZ as tag on flight from AU. But most have pulled out after a few years trying. LATAM is reported to reinstating AKL-SYD tag on from SCL. SQ used to fly WLG-CBR, later changed to WLG-MEL. SQ flights were expensive compared to the others. IMHO unlikely to come back post CV19.
SQ, UA etc do not/will not have domestic traffic rights in AU.

Virgin AU & Qantas did and now Jetstar(owned by Qantas) does fly domestic routes in NZ.

AU domestic airline Ansett (Star Alliance) was 100% owned by Air NZ. But went bankrupt (RIP Ansett). Air NZ could fly AU domestic routes if it wanted to, could get airport slots and get union agreements. That's all not going to happen.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 8, 2022 at 2:05 am
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Virgin Australia (or more specifically, their FF program Velocity) sent out an email a few days ago stating that "From Monday 13 June 2022, Delta Air Lines will no longer be a Velocity partner and the following offers will cease" which might give a hint as to the date the UA partnership takes effect.

I'm flying UA connecting to VA in a few days. I'm not expecting my status to get me any benefits, but I'll certainly be trying...

Originally Posted by username
The minor inconvenience of connecting in AKL leaving AU for most non-AU/NZ passport holders is you still need a visa.
Technically you don't need a "visa" if you're from a "visa waiver country" which includes the US, but yes, you still need a NZeTA which has a minor fee associated with it (US$6-8 depending on how you apply).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; VA Gold; QF Gold; HHonors Gold; Marriott Gold; National ExecElite
Any updates on when we'll see Virgin codeshares in the rezo system?
Revenge likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond
Originally Posted by Boofer
Any updates on when we'll see Virgin codeshares in the rezo system?
Shouldn’t be too far away, US DoT has approved the UA/VA codeshare & FF agreement until March 2024.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:51 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
IIRC, due to be loaded in April.

Oddly, I still see QF interline flights within AU on UA website.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TBD
Oddly, I still see QF interline flights within AU on UA website.
I can't see that changing. UA used to codeshare with VA, and even at that time they interlined with QF on the same routes. There's also multiple routes that VA don't fly but QF do (and/or the QF flights would allow same-day connections to the UA flights, where the VA ones don't).

Originally Posted by docbert
I'm flying UA connecting to VA in a few days. I'm not expecting my status to get me any benefits, but I'll certainly be trying...
And not surprisingly, it didn't. A few of the VA staff knew it was coming, but had no ideas as to when it started or what it would involve.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:17 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I can't see that changing.
I could see Qantas refusing to continue the relationship. Alan Joyce is frequently not a rational businessman.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I’m a bit concerned myself. We’re on UA61 MEL-SFO (EWR) on 04Aug22, part of an award trip. I’m curious of what routing we would be placed on if that gets cancelled.

We have a refundable MEL-SYD OW booked on QF to get us out of Sydney the next day if we need to, but I’d like to see what routing they give us if they take the flight off of the schedule.
By August their partnership with Virgin Australia should be up and running. Only time will tell what the award options are like on those flights, but at least it might give you some options to get MEL-SYD-SFO as an award... Based on my previous experience UA will open seats for you on SYD-SFO, but anything that's not their metal (eg, MEL-AKL or routes via Asia) would depend on pre-existing availability.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
My SFO-MEL flight on May 19 is cancelled. Got a full refund and booked SFO-SYD and connect onto Virgin Australia’s SYD-MEL flight.

I assume I will earn UA miles and access Virgin lounge at SYD (4-hour transit). If not, my SQ PPS will come in handy.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I assume I will earn UA miles and access Virgin lounge at SYD (4-hour transit). If not, my SQ PPS will come in handy.
The start date for the UA/VA partnership has not yet been announced, however Virgin has announced that their Delta partnership will end June 13th, so presumably it won't be before then. ie, no UA miles or lounge access based on UA status. SQ PPS should get you lounge access, but still no miles.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
The start date for the UA/VA partnership has not yet been announced, however Virgin has announced that their Delta partnership will end June 13th, so presumably it won't be before then. ie, no UA miles or lounge access based on UA status. SQ PPS should get you lounge access, but still no miles.
Dot of ua-virgin Australia codshare agreement was only recently approved on 3.16.22. It is still open for comment for a bit I believe.
https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/03...ing-agreement/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.