Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Operations during Australia's Reopening

Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
FT thread-->United Announces SFO-Brisbane (BNE), Australia
"Year-round, nonstop service between Brisbane and San Francisco starts in October "
AU Govt--->Digital Passenger Declaration
AU Govt-->Inbound international travel
Pre Departure Testing
From 18 April 2022, changes to pre-departure testing for travelling to Australia will come into effect. Travellers are reminded that it is your responsibility to ensure you meet the requirements of the airline you are travelling with and any countries you transit through.
Pre departure testing not required from 18 April 2022

AU Govt--->COVID-19 and the border
AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border- Travel restrictions and exemptions
<snip>
From 21 February 2022, all fully vaccinated visa holders can travel to Australia without a travel exemption. Unvaccinated visa holders will still need a valid travel exemption to enter Australia.
<snip>
Main AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific/2012985-australia-s-response-covid-19-general-border-control-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

So Australia has just announced a trial program for quarrantine at home vs the mandatory hotel stay. flights to the English quarrantine at home (of a friend) I did in June.

I am taking this as a good sign for getting to see friends and family for Christmas, but not seeing any flights available - not even the super expensive flights. I had read articles of airlines pulling out of Australia.

Any insight about UA flights to Australia, specifically Sydney?
seanp7 and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I think Christmas flying will be possible - but expect to be fluid and things may change on a daily basis.

Qantas is hoping to start up international flying in December - although I wouldn't count on it but hope for the best. Specifically:The full list of routes for December are:
  • Sydney-London (December 18)
  • Melbourne-London (December 18)
  • Sydney-Los Angeles (December 18)
  • Melbourne-Los Angeles (December 19)
  • Brisbane-Los Angeles (December 19)
  • Sydney-Honolulu (December 20)
  • Sydney-Vancouver (December 18)
  • Sydney-Singapore (December 18)
  • Melbourne-Singapore (December 18)
  • Brisbane-Singapore (December 19)
  • Sydney-Tokyo (December 19)
  • Sydney-Fiji (December 19)
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
With quarantine still in place, it isnt going to add a lot of visitor - UA has plenty of unused capacity currently to AU. When Hawaii required a quarantine last year, there were almost no visitors.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
With quarantine still in place, it isnt going to add a lot of visitor - UA has plenty of unused capacity currently to AU. When Hawaii required a quarantine last year, there were almost no visitors.
For me the hotel quarantine was a nonstarter. Quarrantine at home is very doable for most folks wanting to see family after two years. Agree for people without friends and family Australia would not be viable at Christmas. I should emphasize this appears to be an initiative just for Sydney/NSW.

I am not seeing capacity on UA flights. Will search again tonight as nothing came up for me today in late December, specifically Dec. 18.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA has a number of flights scheduled to SYD, but there may be capacity limitations (including possibly 0):

Code:
 flight | orig | dest | eqp | departs  |    from    |     to     |  days   
--------+------+------+-----+----------+------------+------------+---------
 UA839  | LAX  | SYD  | 789 | 23:00:00 | 2021-09-14 | 2021-09-30 | MTWRFSU
 UA863  | SFO  | SYD  | 789 | 23:10:00 | 2021-09-14 | 2021-09-30 | MTWRFSU
 UA2780 | SFO  | SYD  | 77W | 23:40:00 | 2021-09-20 | 2021-09-27 | M W    
 UA839  | LAX  | SYD  | 789 | 23:00:00 | 2021-10-01 | 2021-10-28 | MTWRFSU
 UA863  | SFO  | SYD  | 789 | 23:10:00 | 2021-10-01 | 2021-10-28 | MTWRFSU
 UA2780 | SFO  | SYD  | 77W | 23:40:00 | 2021-10-04 | 2021-10-04 | M      
 UA839  | LAX  | SYD  | 789 | 23:05:00 | 2021-10-29 | 2021-11-06 | MTWRFSU
 UA863  | SFO  | SYD  | 789 | 23:05:00 | 2021-10-29 | 2021-11-06 | MTWRFSU
 UA839  | LAX  | SYD  | 789 | 23:05:00 | 2021-11-07 | 2021-12-15 | MTWRFSU
 UA863  | SFO  | SYD  | 789 | 23:05:00 | 2021-11-07 | 2021-12-15 | MTWRFSU
 UA101  | IAH  | SYD  | 789 | 20:25:00 | 2021-12-16 | 2022-03-12 | MTWRFSU
 UA839  | LAX  | SYD  | 789 | 22:40:00 | 2021-12-16 | 2022-03-12 | MTWRFSU
 UA863  | SFO  | SYD  | 789 | 22:45:00 | 2021-12-16 | 2022-03-12 | MTWRFSU
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
For me the hotel quarantine was a nonstarter. Quarrantine at home is very doable for most folks wanting to see family after two years. Agree for people without friends and family Australia would not be viable at Christmas. I should emphasize this appears to be an initiative just for Sydney/NSW.

I am not seeing capacity on UA flights. Will search again tonight as nothing came up for me today in late December, specifically Dec. 18.
I agree the 5 day in home quarantine for vaccinated travelers is a potential to open up Australia. My guess UA won't react until the program goes from pilot to a fully approved program. It is probably a stay tuned scenario. UA and any other airline are likely hesitant to sell seats only to have to pick and choose who goes/not goes if the capacity restrictions remain.
trooper and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
UA and any other airline are likely hesitant to sell seats only to have to pick and choose who goes/not goes if the capacity restrictions remain.
I should think that would be pretty easy!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I agree the 5 day in home quarantine for vaccinated travelers is a potential to open up Australia. My guess UA won't react until the program goes from pilot to a fully approved program. It is probably a stay tuned scenario. UA and any other airline are likely hesitant to sell seats only to have to pick and choose who goes/not goes if the capacity restrictions remain.
The current Federal Govt directive ends 17 Dec. Hence the 18 Dec QF date. These federal directives get extended by 3 months every 3 months. Note in AU each state has a very different approach the the CV19 pandemic. It is the states who control what happens day to day and determine the hotel quarantine numbers and rules. The current border restriction have wide public support. Some, including some State premiers, would like harder restrictions.
AU Govt---->https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...three-months-0

The AU Federal & various state governments are building new dedicated quarantine faculties Most of these will not be completed until early 2022. They will be used
To me the chance of a broad based home quarantine are very low for 2021, even for AU passports holders. Other people in the same house---> will not happen. USA will be seen as a very high risk country for arrivals, so less chance it will happen.

Main AU CV19 thread-->Australias response to Covid-19 [general border control thread]

Other UA AU threads
UA Suspending Service to SYD? -still on schedule, inventory zero'ed, impact of quota?
UA suspending flights to Australia? [ Unsubstantiated Rumor]
Curious why United still flying to and from Australia
Any recent J experiences SFO-SYD?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 22, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Old Sep 22, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I am not seeing capacity on UA flights. Will search again tonight as nothing came up for me today in late December, specifically Dec. 18.
By "capacity", I mean UA is currently severely restricted on number of passengers it can carry into Australia right now, so the planes are very underfilled. If home quarantine lifts restrictions on number of passengers UA can bring in, UA instantly has more capacity w/o increasing number of flights. There are probably 200 empty seats on the flights you're looking at now, but UA can't sell 'em.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The daily quota limitation will be the key issue and so additional capacity (readily available) depends on an increase or elimination for the daily quota. How the quarantine is handled is a secondary issue.
jsloan, wrp96 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:31 am

airlines are already cancelling flights. my flights on ANA for December were cancelled last week and I was told the earliest date I could be re-booked was February 2022. There are two facebook groups I'm a part of for stranded Australians where there are daily reports of the same thing happening to others. Cancellations are coming through from ANA, United, Singapore, Qatar... basically everyone still flying to Australia are pulling flights and the only option to buy a ticket is on airlines who are not currently flying like Qantas and Air Canada.

Also, the home quarantine "announcement" is kind of a nothingburger. There's no detail around it aside from their intention to start a trial, and that it will be applicable to everyone once vaccination rates in the 70-80% range are achieved. That's certainly not enough information for an airline to justify committing to a full schedule. Airlines like United, ANA and Singapore have seen this movie before and are voting with their feet. Qantas and Air Canada are just taking people's money and hoping the gamble pays off
Mwenenzi and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
...The AU Federal & various state governments are building new dedicated quarantine faculties Most of these will not be completed until early 2022. They will be used
To me the chance of a broad based home quarantine are very low for 2021, even for AU passports holders. Other people in the same house---> will not happen. USA will be seen as a very high risk country for arrivals, so less chance it will happen...
I certainly understand the current quarrantine facilities are woefully inadequate for protecting people based on the spread of the folks who got the virus in the quarrantine facility, but the building of new facilities that then need to be justified by use. *sigh.

I have a few family members that have second homes so the quarrantine in a home not occupied by others very possible. Already confirmed.

However the lack of flights means it will be another Christmas not seeing friends or family. Will likely go to the UK as I can quarrantine with friends there.

Fortunately many UA flights to the UK.

I do get why UA is now not allowing me to book a flight to SYD.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
I hold zero hope of getting there anytime soon. 2025 anyone?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 23, 2021 at 5:32 pm Reason: Removed OMNI/PR content
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly understand the current quarantine facilities are woefully inadequate for protecting people based on the spread of the folks who got the virus in the quarantine facility, but the building of new facilities that then need to be justified by use. *sigh.
Given the high numbers that have been through quarantine the spread of CV19 to others in the facilities has been very low (less than infinitesimal).
Last years VIC outbreak was caused by CV19 escape from a person in quarantine to hotel staff (guards). Was entirely preventable if health protocols had been followed. The VIC govt enquiry report, by a judge, was released a few days before Christmas, so go zero media exposure (as was the VIC govt plan)
The current NSW outbreak looks to have come from a cargo aircraft crew passing CV19 to the driver taking them to quarantine. Driver was not vaccinated, but by NSW govt protocols should have been.
The 50% reduction in quarantine rooms was a 100% political decision, nothing to do with health

I see little hope of general travel to AU in Q1 2022. Q2 2022 maybe.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I hold zero hope of getting there anytime soon. 2025 anyone?
I'm hoping we'll be able to get down there in November/December 2022 for some cruising.
SPN Lifer, wrp96 and Aussienarelle like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.