Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
Looks like this was re-added in the past few weeks.
web.archive.org has a copy of the VA page from April 27, and whilst it doesn't display it properly if you look at the page source it shows the old instructions of taking your bags to the T-bus and then re-checking them in Terminal 2 (domestic).....
Thanks for the sleuthing, Hours of operation not stated. So unknown if only for arriving VA International flights, VA partner flights or all the time.

Link-->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old May 16, 2022, 3:12 am

https://experience.velocityfrequentf...nited-airlines
Revenge and angetenar like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:42 pm

I'm look at adding a domestic VA leg to a UA SYD-SFO itinerary. From expertflyer, it appears that the MCT is 2:30. Is this correct? It just seems surprising to me because someone mentioned above that I-D is 2:00, and I'm surprised D-I would be higher.

Minimum Connect Times

Share ResultsSTANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .30 1.00 1.15 1.00
OFFLINE .30 1.00 1.15 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
VA-UA DI 2.30
**-UA DI 2.30
Old May 20, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I will just miss it then.

I am on my way to Melbourne and my SYD-MEL is on VA on 22nd, Oh well, my SQ PPS will get me the benefits and lounge access I need.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by lrm72
I'm look at adding a domestic VA leg to a UA SYD-SFO itinerary. From expertflyer, it appears that the MCT is 2:30. Is this correct? It just seems surprising to me because someone mentioned above that I-D is 2:00, and I'm surprised D-I would be higher.

Minimum Connect Times

Share ResultsSTANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .30 1.00 1.15 1.00
OFFLINE .30 1.00 1.15 1.00
** OR * ARE ALL
VA-UA DI 2.30
**-UA DI 2.30
A couple of things to be aware of when arriving into SYD domestically, particularly in the mornings. SYD has a curfew. So all the intl. arrivals are generally timed/prioritized by ATC if there are any delays due to weather etc. And SYD does get the weather (fog, t-storms etc.). If you are arriving on a domestic flight, expect to be delayed from time to time. Build that into your travel time. I usually planned on 3 hrs D-I in SYD or connected in MEL where this is less of an issue.

Also, like most intl departures, you need to clear exit immigration formalities at SYD. This usually does not take a long time and SYD has the egates (if they are working right) but the lines can sometimes be long in the mornings.
Old May 21, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
A couple of things to be aware of when arriving into SYD domestically, particularly in the mornings. SYD has a curfew. So all the intl. arrivals are generally timed/prioritized by ATC if there are any delays due to weather etc. And SYD does get the weather (fog, t-storms etc.). If you are arriving on a domestic flight, expect to be delayed from time to time. Build that into your travel time. I usually planned on 3 hrs D-I in SYD or connected in MEL where this is less of an issue.

Also, like most intl departures, you need to clear exit immigration formalities at SYD. This usually does not take a long time and SYD has the egates (if they are working right) but the lines can sometimes be long in the mornings.
Thanks for the heads up. In the scenario you outlined, do the resulting int'l departures usually get delayed (either because of the slots being taken up by the domestic arrivals or the flights being held for connecting passengers)?
Old May 21, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Thanks for the heads up. In the scenario you outlined, do the resulting int'l departures usually get delayed (either because of the slots being taken up by the domestic arrivals or the flights being held for connecting passengers)?
I've been on lengthy UA delays ex syd for these reasons and have also had flights canceled and been rerouted etc. I'm not sure if they hold for transfers like they do on their own metal. It's best to have the Australia ua number handy...they were good for these things. Not sure about recently.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct. Not a huge difference and note it overrides VA-** 2h00; the US carriers like to board their international flights earlier. Given exit immigration and reclearing security, I would not really expect D/I to actually go faster than I/D at SYD; if anything it might actually be the slower direction. Regardless, I would always recommend being more careful with connections D/I anyway because of the consequences of a misconnect (e.g. if you miss your 11am SYD-MEL, who cares? - not the same missing SYD-SFO)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Reporting in from SYD: It's been rainy/mess for last week and second the domestic flights coming in late. Originally was going to try to pull of ADL-SYD to connect to the SYD-LAX flight at 9:30 am and was strongly advised against it. And no way will they hold the international flights for domestic connections given tight turnarounds.

Originally Posted by prestonh

Good news is smart gates/egates are all functional - when I went through INTL Terminal 1 this morning around 7:15 was through passport control in 30 seconds (US Passport), and security was maybe 10 mins. Admittedly I was not checking bags, but even with bags, I would have completed entire process in 20 mins. Good news the NZ and Kris clubs are back open. Just missed the VA opportunity and went with Qantas last week instead - the T3 D:I transfer desk was open and fully functional yesterday FWIW
Old May 23, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by telemark27
Just missed the VA opportunity and went with Qantas last week instead - the T3 D:I transfer desk was open and fully functional yesterday FWIW
Did the QF transfer bus run airside, or is it going landside?

For the good of anyone reading telemark27's comments who isn't familiar with Sydney Airport, T3 is the Qantas terminal, and the QF D->I transfer desk being referenced is for Qantas passengers only. Virgin domestic uses T2, and do not currently have their own bus running, and instead are directing people to the airport-run T-Bus which runs land-side between terminals (realistically there's probably not a lot of difference - the Virgin bus always ran landside anyway, and all of them drop you land-side at the international terminal anyway!)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM+, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, & Hertz PC
Did the QF transfer bus run airside, or is it going landside?

For the good of anyone reading telemark27's comments who isn't familiar with Sydney Airport, T3 is the Qantas terminal, and the QF D->I transfer desk being referenced is for Qantas passengers only. Virgin domestic uses T2, and do not currently have their own bus running, and instead are directing people to the airport-run T-Bus which runs land-side between terminals (realistically there's probably not a lot of difference - the Virgin bus always ran landside anyway, and all of them drop you land-side at the international terminal anyway!)
Indeed, good point docbert, don't want to lead anyone astray since this is a VA thread! You are spot on - was for Qantas only in T3. I'm not sure if it was airside or landside TBH, just noted a buzz of activity and several announcements for departing passengers. Clearly a lot has reopened just in the last week or so across the airport (as UA gate agent noted this morning - the airport website showed NZ lounge as still closed, whereas was open this morning). Have a few colleagues on VA in coming weeks and will report back if others don't have more recent experiences over coming week!
Old May 27, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Award flights are loaded. Just re-booked a trip I had later in the year to include two VA domestic flights, including one using the excursionist perk.
SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.
Old May 28, 2022, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Award flights are loaded. Just re-booked a trip I had later in the year to include two VA domestic flights, including one using the excursionist perk.
Thanks for the tip!

Looks like my SYD-CNS round-trip in July is 35000 miles + USD40, which isn't really a win compared to the AUD310 = USD220 from just buying the "choice" (includes a bag etc) ticket directly. I'm glad I bought the cash one a while ago rather than waiting for what I assumed would be the amazing award flight deals to appear.

Now, the business award flights are 25k miles + USD20 each-way, i.e. only a little bit more than coach. Maybe this is where the deals are, for those who are into virgin australia domestic business.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I did SFO-SYD-MEL last week on UA/VA single ticket.
Immigration at SYD was a breeze, but luggage took awhile. Once clearning custom before exit door, there is a door on the left that connects you to the VA transfer desk. Look out for the sign.

Transfer, rechecking the bag (single luggage tag issued by UA), and issuing the boarding pass took less than 5 min.
The longest wait is the bus from T3 to T1. There were mutiple flights arriving during early morning, so the line was long, I got onto the third bus after I got into the waitling line. The buses were crowded and luggages were stored on the seats and between seats, so made it hard to get out of bus if you were stuck in the back. The buses were packed because many passengers were desparate to get to their connecting fights.

Once I was in the VA lounge, nice flat white and full breakfast made me forgetting the unpleasant bus ride quickly.
It would be a much pleasant experience if the inter-terminal bus transfer can be improved.

I budged 3 hours for the transit, and glad I did not take the VA agent's offer to get on an earlier flight (an hour earlier), I needed the extra time for waiting for the bus, and clear security at the domestic terminal. A 40-min relaxing vist in the VA lounge with great coffee is a nice break after a long 15-hour flight. It would be even nicer if the showers were working at the VA lounge.
Mwenenzi and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:48 pm

Does anyone know if this partnership means that we'll earn PQP's for Virgin Australia flights? If so, is it a "divide by 5" (ie, Preferred) partner or a "divide by 6"?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.