Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Now that we're into April, any more details on this?

I was actually trying to book US-SYD-CNS but noticed it does not offer the VA flight but offers the JQ flight. I'm not aware of any partner with JQ
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3

I was actually trying to book US-SYD-CNS but noticed it does not offer the VA flight but offers the JQ flight. I'm not aware of any partner with JQ
UA have sold/sell VA, QF & JQ AU domestic flights as tag on flights to the long haul UA flights. Just UA being a travel agent to get a long haul sales
Old Apr 3, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond

Would definitely hold off until VA comes online.
I’d rather walk than fly JQ, they are the pits
Revenge likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

If you are trying to book UA-VA flights but cannot see them available on United.com, try Google Flight.

I just did a few days ago. After you locate the right UA-VA combo flights on Google Flight, click purchase, it will take you to United.com to make the purchase.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QR Platinum, QF Gold, ITA Executive, HH Diamond, Accor Plus Diamond

Keep hearing it isn’t too far away but no one seems to know for certain
Old Apr 3, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
If you are trying to book UA-VA flights but cannot see them available on United.com, try Google Flight.

I just did a few days ago. After you locate the right UA-VA combo flights on Google Flight, click purchase, it will take you to United.com to make the purchase.
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce
Would definitely hold off until VA comes online.
I’d rather walk than fly JQ, they are the pits
I did a google search and it did show me the option, and I was able to click going to UA.

I already made the purchase on UA and have upgrades attached so that's not an option.

I guess I'll try the 1K desk, probably in for a very long phone call as usual. Maybe twitter this time.

Last edited by eng3; Apr 3, 2022 at 6:23 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Qantas Gold, Virgin Australia Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AdelaideAce
Keep hearing it isn’t too far away but no one seems to know for certain
I asked the VA social media team about this yesterday and their response was:
We will communicate our partnership's commencement with United Airlines in the coming weeks.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Revenge
I asked the VA social media team about this yesterday and their response was:
Well, I'm going at the end of the month. If I end up flying with them, I'll report back if there any benefits with UA status.
Revenge likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I already made the purchase on UA and have upgrades attached so that's not an option.

I guess I'll try the 1K desk, probably in for a very long phone call as usual. Maybe twitter this time.
If you're saying that you've already booked with JQ, then I'd suggest that long phone call is worth it. JQ are OK if everything goes smoothly, and horrible if not.

Well, I'm going at the end of the month. If I end up flying with them, I'll report back if there any benefits with UA status.
VA have announced that their Delta partnership ends June 13. I can't see anything starting with United before then, but I could be wrong. When I was there a few weeks ago I asked multiple Virgin agents about it, and their responses ranged from no idea to what I was talking about, to a knowledge that something was coming but no idea when.
Revenge likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by docbert
By August their partnership with Virgin Australia should be up and running. Only time will tell what the award options are like on those flights, but at least it might give you some options to get MEL-SYD-SFO as an award... Based on my previous experience UA will open seats for you on SYD-SFO, but anything that's not their metal (eg, MEL-AKL or routes via Asia) would depend on pre-existing availability.
There are two options available on the following day (MEL-EWR J Awards), but they both involve long (8+ hours) transfers in BKK and NRT, something I wouldn't consider even without the concern of international borders being closed. (I would consider it with one longer and one shorter connection).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by docbert
If you're saying that you've already booked with JQ, then I'd suggest that long phone call is worth it. JQ are OK if everything goes smoothly, and horrible if not.

VA have announced that their Delta partnership ends June 13. I can't see anything starting with United before then, but I could be wrong. When I was there a few weeks ago I asked multiple Virgin agents about it, and their responses ranged from no idea to what I was talking about, to a knowledge that something was coming but no idea when.
I already booked with UA to SYD (arriving 6:55am). I have upgrades applied to those reservations so I can't rebook without losing them. I'd have to call into UA and have the agent make the change to preserve my upgrades.
If I click "change" on the UA site, it provides me with the option to add the JQ flight leaving at 11am. It does not show the VA option.
If I use google flights, it allows me to add the VA flight leaving at 9:15am as well as my follow on CNS-SYD flight that I plan to take later.
Both options of adding price out at about half the cost of booking separetly.

Therefore, I'll call in and attempt one of the above. VA seems a little more comfortable (seats) and their carryon policy is slightly better 7kg + personal vs JQ (carryon + personal <=7kg). But VA only gives me a 2:20 connection time for Intl to domestic
Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:13 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Codeshare agreements expected to be loaded around 18-20 April. That doesn't mean effective immediately, though, and no idea when they'd actually start.
arma5 and Revenge like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
But VA only gives me a 2:20 connection time for Intl to domestic
I've never done it myself, as I live in SYD, but some airlines (QF / JQ / VA?) have a bag drop for domestic connections right outside international arrivals. 2:20 seems fine to me. Domestic Australian operations are smooth and pretty chill. You can bring liquids through security as well. Similar to transfers in the US from international destinations, you must pick up bags at the connection point and take them through customs yourself.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I've never done it myself, as I live in SYD, but some airlines (QF / JQ / VA?) have a bag drop for domestic connections right outside international arrivals. 2:20 seems fine to me. Domestic Australian operations are smooth and pretty chill. You can bring liquids through security as well. Similar to transfers in the US from international destinations, you must pick up bags at the connection point and take them through customs yourself.
I booked UA-VA with a 4-hour connection to make sure enough time and anticipating any delays.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Not to get too off topic, but for timing, normally 2:20 should be fine but I've read so much about it being slow to transfer I to D at SYD. I figure I'll be first off the plane sitting in J. Though sometimes there is a bus to gate transfer. I figure at that hour, customs will be busy, but I should have access to smargate if they still do that for US. So maybe 20min to get from plane out the door. Then up to 30min for the bus to T2 depending how long I have to wait. I dont know if I'll have a BP, if I can book on the same PNR I should get one, if not, I probably need to be at the counter like an hour early for lines and stuff. So I'm already up to 1:50 for the connection. The add in that the intl flight only has 75% ontime performance and the average delay is 30min. So that's exactly 2:20. I don't know what the partnership will buy me. Faster security? Faster checkin? nothing yet? I had trouble finding clear information if they would interline my bag but I would probably plan to do a carry on. I MIGHT be able to fit in the 7kg requirement since VA does not include laptop bag. However, if I flew JQ, I absolutely cannot fit my laptop bag AND carryon into the 7kg.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I booked UA-VA with a 4-hour connection to make sure enough time and anticipating any delays.
The 4hr connection connects to JQ. They do not transfer bags between Internal and Domestic. The only downside I can see to that option is JQ being worse than VA in terms of comfort. And cost being higher because I'd probably have to pay for a checked bag and the over cost will be higher as I need to book the CNS-SYD return separately at a higher price. However this is definitely the safest approach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.