FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022
Old Apr 4, 2022, 6:44 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by docbert
If you're saying that you've already booked with JQ, then I'd suggest that long phone call is worth it. JQ are OK if everything goes smoothly, and horrible if not.

VA have announced that their Delta partnership ends June 13. I can't see anything starting with United before then, but I could be wrong. When I was there a few weeks ago I asked multiple Virgin agents about it, and their responses ranged from no idea to what I was talking about, to a knowledge that something was coming but no idea when.
I already booked with UA to SYD (arriving 6:55am). I have upgrades applied to those reservations so I can't rebook without losing them. I'd have to call into UA and have the agent make the change to preserve my upgrades.
If I click "change" on the UA site, it provides me with the option to add the JQ flight leaving at 11am. It does not show the VA option.
If I use google flights, it allows me to add the VA flight leaving at 9:15am as well as my follow on CNS-SYD flight that I plan to take later.
Both options of adding price out at about half the cost of booking separetly.

Therefore, I'll call in and attempt one of the above. VA seems a little more comfortable (seats) and their carryon policy is slightly better 7kg + personal vs JQ (carryon + personal <=7kg). But VA only gives me a 2:20 connection time for Intl to domestic