Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2022, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
when requesting mileage credit on the UA website, one of the ticket numbers said it was already fully credited (only half the legs credited), so I dropped 1kVoice a line to see if they can help.
I don't even get to that page when I submit a retro-claim ... most of the segment where in I-class which should earn 25%. Not sure what is going on ... glad I am not the only one w/ issues.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Same issue for me. I spent 45 min with the virtual agent to fix, and now I’m waiting “3-5 business days” for an update,
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA must be reading this board All my missing VA segments credited over night
ZenFlyer, Oshkosh105 and UAinAUS like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
On the redemption side, I agree. I can see award seats available via the Virgin Australia website at their "award" rates(*), but UA isn't showing them.
This appears to be fixed. I'm seeing good availability for awards on VA in both Y and J, both on their own and in conjunction with international flights.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
This appears to be fixed. I'm seeing good availability for awards on VA in both Y and J, both on their own and in conjunction with international flights.
back for about 2 weeks now. Hope this stays
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Question on using Virgin Australia as a UA elite

A few questions on this partnership:

1) Do any of the 1k benefits carry over to a companion? I.e. can they join in the lounge, etc.?
2) Have an award ticket with the first segment on VA then a 17-hour connection then onward on UA. Do you think VA could short check the bag for only the first segment so I have it during the layover?
3) I tried to grab seats for that first segment but VA site was giving me errors. Is that normal or expected?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
1). Yes
2). Yes
3). No, not normal.
SPN Lifer and adambadam like this.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
baggage allowance on Virgin Australia?

The new(ish) partnership between VA and UA is supposed to permit an additional checked bag for 1K flyers on VA. Does anyone know how/where this gets implemented? The VA backend wants you checked in and all bags checked and paid for before you get to the airport... but I can't figure out how to get the ostensibly permitted 2-bag allowance to pop up online. My UA frequent flyer number is in the booking details... any thoughts?
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ljwobker
The new(ish) partnership between VA and UA is supposed to permit an additional checked bag for 1K flyers on VA. Does anyone know how/where this gets implemented? The VA backend wants you checked in and all bags checked and paid for before you get to the airport... but I can't figure out how to get the ostensibly permitted 2-bag allowance to pop up online. My UA frequent flyer number is in the booking details... any thoughts?
You can handle it at the airport. Generally doing it via online is better as the price for extra bags is lower when paid online in advance, but given that you're not going to be paying anything it's not going to be an issue. Either use one of the kiosks and call over one of the staff when it's attempting to charge you, or possibly even better just go straight to the premium check-in desk and have them sort it out.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
OK, thanks. "Solve it at the airport" was definitely a possibility I'd considered, but I'm somewhat concerned that I'll get there and none of the staff will have any idea what I'm talking about and I'll end up eating whatever the punitive "at airport" bag fee is. I'd like to think that 6 months in there would be people around who know how to solve it... but this ain't my first rodeo and airline people can often be exceptionally obstinate when they don't agree with what your benefits are ;-)
The part about going to the premium check-in desk is good - I wouldn't have thought about that as every other time I've flown VA (all pre-partnership) I'd just done everything with the kiosks...
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM; QF VA CI KL KE
Bag included?

I am looking at booking VA domestic flights with UA miles. I can find flights well enough, but the booking process leaves me wondering if Y bookings include a bag for a general member. The cost in miles is acceptable if a bag is included, but not really worthwhile if there is a baggage fee on top. The booking process is somewhat tortuous, but it looks like UA is willing to take my money. It is unclear what I will get in return. I guess the question is: does it turn into a VA Lite or VA Choice fare.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bnebased
I guess the question is: does it turn into a VA Lite or VA Choice fare.
It's an award, so it'll come from VA award inventory, and get the same baggage allowance as a VA award flight, which is 1x23kg (ignoring any status benefits).
Old Dec 20, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
earning on Virgin Australia

Not a regular here - my last UA related trip was using up miles I'd earned and Chase points transferred back in 2019.
I just flew a Virgin Australia paid trip purchased on VA web site PER-SYD-MEL. Purchased coach - fare basis LZFLO. From the chart, guessing I'll earn 75% of mileage flown.
But I did bid for an upgrade and was successful for both legs at much less than VA's recommended bid - and domestic business on VA gets you lounge access, too.
Any UA regulars with experience on how long it should take for the miles to post to my UA account?
Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mot29
Not a regular here - my last UA related trip was using up miles I'd earned and Chase points transferred back in 2019.
I just flew a Virgin Australia paid trip purchased on VA web site PER-SYD-MEL. Purchased coach - fare basis LZFLO. From the chart, guessing I'll earn 75% of mileage flown.
But I did bid for an upgrade and was successful for both legs at much less than VA's recommended bid - and domestic business on VA gets you lounge access, too.
Any UA regulars with experience on how long it should take for the miles to post to my UA account?
Thanks.
I flew VA on a domestic flight in August. Took about 48 hours for the miles to post to my MileagePlus account.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: WFBF, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
Thanks.
Probably not what you want to hear, but I've had trouble with getting VA credit for the paid (economy) fare, since in their system the upgrade codes as the same fare class as Business Class awards. I did an upgrade in October and the credit still hasn't been posted 9 weeks later. The segments are required for me to hit 1K this year, so I'll probably give an agent a call tomorrow (was waiting for all of the weather madness to calm down a bit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.