Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

United to partner with Virgin Australia -- UA elite benefits starting 23 May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diendamadiq
Flying MEL-SYD in VA Y as UA Premier Platinum. Do we get lounge access in MEL? VA website is clear about access on international flights but domestic is more ambiguous.
VA does not have lounges at international terminals. Only (some) domestic terminals.
Originally Posted by frappant
What about VA Y SYD-MEL.
Does VA have a lounge at SYD for Star Alliance Gold or UA MP 1k?
The partnership is UA-VA. Not Star Alliance - VA. So need UA status. Status with other Star Alliance airlines mean nothing to VA, unless a similar out of alliance agreement.

VA lounges-->
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...irport/lounge/
https://www.virginaustralia.com/au/e...unge/domestic/

International Lounge access when travelling on an international Virgin Australia operated flight
  • Virgin Australia do not currently operate any international lounges at any international departure port.
  • If you are travelling on a partner airline operated flight, you may have access to one of our partner airline operated lounges.
  • For up-to-date information on partner airline lounges such as availability and eligibility, please see below.
*Eligible guests travelling with Virgin Australia internationally from Adelaide and the Gold Coast can use the domestic lounge as the international and domestic departures are located within the one terminal.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 24, 2023 at 10:36 am
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Just back from an Australia trip where I used Virgin Australia as a UA 1K, but booked direct via VirginAustralia's website. Seamless and perfect - boarding pass is encoded with lounge access so you can use the self-scan entrance terminals and it all works. An extra bag saves you some $$$ too.

VA lounges in SYD and BNE pretty good.

Flights posted fairly rapidly - credit to UA with their partner flight postings of late.

I didn't realize you could earn PQP also, which is a real plus. It's small on certain economy tickets, but every point counts. Ditching Qantas now when flying domestically in Aus, for sure!
SPN Lifer, kirkwoodj and UAinAUS like this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheSYDTraveller
Hoping that this thread can give me a bit more insight. Does anyone know whether VA Gold is considered equivalent to UA Gold for the purposes of luggage? Would a domestic basic economy fare get 1 free carry-on luggage in additional to the personal item?
I wonder if you took your trip already and what the outcome was.

Someone on the VA forum said he even had to pay for checked bag as a VA Platinum... UA Baggage Allowance as VA Platinum
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
UA + VA - Baggage

I booked an award ticket SFO-MEL-PER with the first leg on UA, second on VA. Will I pick up my bags in MEL and re-check them, or will they go all the way through to PER?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Australia is the same as the US - you need to collect your bags at your first point of entry and take them through customs (the act of doing which actually has some meaning in Australia, unlike the US!)

Your bags will be tagged all the way to PER. Unfortunately MEL airport is basically a CF when it comes to re-checking the bags. There is no dedicated drop area (or at least, there wasn't when I last made a similar connection 6 months ago), so you'll need to take them to the Virgin domestic check-in area (a short walk from the international arrivals area) and then join one of the bag-drop lines there.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:42 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I agree with docbert MEL is a cluster when it comes to baggage transfer but at least its all in the ONE main terminal building (International arrivals in the middle and QF to the right and VA to the left). Once you have cleared customs and entered the throng of idiots all milling around to meet their relatives, make a right and head up to VA domestic. Domestic travel within Oz is a relative breeze compared to the chaos in Murrica...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Australia is the same as the US - you need to collect your bags at your first point of entry and take them through customs (the act of doing which actually has some meaning in Australia, unlike the US!
Why do you say that? I’ve been waived through by Oz Customs countless times and fully searched by US CBP before…
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:43 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by seanp7
Why do you say that? I’ve been waived through by Oz Customs countless times and fully searched by US CBP before…
Really? I have been traveling hard to and from the US for the past 12 years and the only time it was slightly difficult was when I was in limbo as far as my Green card goes (it was during the middle of the process). That was not pleasant and every arrival I would be taken to a back room (the nicer word is secondary screening area). I kid you not, me and 12 men (who all had different immigration issues) were marched by CBP agents to and from the toilet.

Now that I have Global Entry, coming back to the US is a complete breeze whereas entering Oz and faffing about with their idiotic biometric machines (which require you to go to a separate machine to get a ticket) is just insane. And the secondary checks as you try and exit are equally silly.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eightblack
Really? I have been traveling hard to and from the US for the past 12 years and the only time it was slightly difficult was when I was in limbo as far as my Green card goes (it was during the middle of the process). That was not pleasant and every arrival I would be taken to a back room (the nicer word is secondary screening area). I kid you not, me and 12 men (who all had different immigration issues) were marched by CBP agents to and from the toilet.

Now that I have Global Entry, coming back to the US is a complete breeze whereas entering Oz and faffing about with their idiotic biometric machines (which require you to go to a separate machine to get a ticket) is just insane. And the secondary checks as you try and exit are equally silly.
That is immigration, not customs. But yes, global entry is a breeze as it should be but that's not for everyone.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seanp7
I’ve been waived through by Oz Customs countless times and fully searched by US CBP before…
Heading OT, but has that happened to you within the past year or so? It seems that customs enforcement inbound to the US has been significantly reduced, with the calls now mostly made by the immigration officer rather than a separate customs check (there's no longer a form nor any mandatory questions, at least if using GE), and any follow-up virtually non-existent (likely due to staffing issues). This certainly can work out well if you've exceeded your duty free allowance. Our last two trips we've (1) answered truthfully to purchasing well in excess of the limit and just been waved through by immigration, and (2) not been asked at all.
SPN Lifer and seanp7 like this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Heading OT, but has that happened to you within the past year or so? It seems that customs enforcement inbound to the US has been significantly reduced...
No, it was 2+ years ago (full search, wasn't just a bag scan but a check of all prescription drugs, a full separate scan of all articles, etc, in separate containers, plus my hand luggage, at EWR). As you said, in the last 12 months, it has been a breeze EWR/IAH/IAD/JFK, I agree. .

Bringing it back on-topic, yes, in Oz you will have to pick up your bags and there may be more likelihood that your bags do go through secondary / border inspection. I had no issues recently transferring EY to VA at MEL (and re-checking at regular check-in). It was easy.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I had this issue too, but was able to pick seats through app...but not website....
Excellent advice. I was able to select seats on a UA award ticket in economy class on the app, but not on the VA web site. Actually I could choose a "preferred" seat.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
Australia is the same as the US - you need to collect your bags at your first point of entry and take them through customs (the act of doing which actually has some meaning in Australia, unlike the US!)

Your bags will be tagged all the way to PER. Unfortunately MEL airport is basically a CF when it comes to re-checking the bags. There is no dedicated drop area (or at least, there wasn't when I last made a similar connection 6 months ago), so you'll need to take them to the Virgin domestic check-in area (a short walk from the international arrivals area) and then join one of the bag-drop lines there.
Thank you... Is it also the same as the US where if I'm returning PER-MEL-SIN, I will not need to collect my bags in MEL as I'll be exiting the country? It will be a UA award ticket all on the same reservation.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Thank you... Is it also the same as the US where if I'm returning PER-MEL-SIN, I will not need to collect my bags in MEL as I'll be exiting the country? It will be a UA award ticket all on the same reservation.
Yes, VA should check your bags all the way through as long as it's all on the same ticket. SQ (who I presume you're flying?) is a VA partner, in much the same way that UA is, so I would not expect any issues - although I've never done that specific combination myself.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by diendamadiq
Did have access, although they were a little confused and did want to see a physical Premier card of some sort for a while before relenting.
We had the same thing happen today. Revenue tickets SYD-CNS with MP# in the record. No issues at priority checkin counter. Status printed as “Platinum” and ZONE 1 on BP even though we are 1K. When scanning BP for lounge entry, it said “see agent.” Lounge agent wanted to see MP membership card “to check the expiration date.” Boarded through priority lane without problem. Gate agent came around and checked credentials prior to boarding for everyone lined up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.