Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Sawasdee
I just called MileagePlus and the agent confirmed by reading through her internal email that this status extension is selectively offered (she doesn't know the criteria) and the update process is complete.

My data point
No status extension, but my PPs were extended to July 2022
Home base: Denver
​​​Grounded from travel to work and flew 2 segments this year
If this really is selective I’d be interested to know the criteria. On FlyerTalk it seems far more have been extended than not. Crazy.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DELee
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...#etc-extension

David

p.s. try not to complain so much
There is a gray area here. I had several flights that UA canceled just prior to MAR '20 because of COVID restrictions for which they issued ETCs to me. I honestly forgot about some of them and tried to use them a few months ago, only to find that they had expired. By contrast, AA allowed me to use a flight credit from JAN '20 just last month.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...#etc-extension

David

p.s. try not to complain so much
LOL Thanks, more good news. Mrs. Nomad checked and indeed they were! Of course she is now pushing to use them for my TATL to Italy in over 2 years . Trying not to complain but with upgrades it is what it is.

Last edited by nomad420; Dec 4, 2021 at 11:09 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
To avoid any confusion here, not all 2019 1K’s are getting status extensions. I had the below for 2021 as of 12/4/2021 and was told I will have Platinum for 2022 over the phone today. I will not be spending ~$3K in December.

Apparently UA is superior to AA and DL and doesn’t want my money. What a shame.

Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Santander
Does your current 1K card expire 1/22? I wouldn't be surprised if all the phone agents aren't yet aware of this change.
It does expire 1/2022. The phone agent called someone else who told her only “select” 1K’s were getting extensions. She was very nice but candidly admitted she didn’t know much more. I wasn’t the first person who has called into her asking though…
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Plat extended to 2023.
  • I had one flight in 2020
  • I was going to do a stupid run to qualify for gold next week (needed the PQF) but I'm cancelling that now.

Wonder how many dollar/flight runs will be cancelled as a result? lol

Anyhow, thanks United. Both of my colleagues and I who haven't jumped to Delta for the last 7 or so years will remain loyal again in 2022.

Last edited by Hadrian35; Dec 4, 2021 at 11:48 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I requalified for 1K in 2022 via >15k spend + some of the 21Q1 + 21Q2 promos. Looks like my status and my PlusPoints all expire 1/31/2023. Far as I can tell there was no benefit from this extension for people in my same situation. That said, if I still lived in Asia as I did until Q3 this year, I'm sure I would be sincerely grateful for the extension.

All in all, I've really enjoyed being back in the Americas where I can fly my tail off. So, keeping things in perspective, despite the ongoing dilution of the upgrade pool, life is good!
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
I requalified for 1K in 2022 via >15k spend + some of the 21Q1 + 21Q2 promos. Looks like my status and my PlusPoints all expire 1/31/2023. Far as I can tell there was no benefit from this extension for people in my same situation. That said, if I still lived in Asia as I did until Q3 this year, I'm sure I would be sincerely grateful for the extension.

All in all, I've really enjoyed being back in the Americas where I can fly my tail off. So, keeping things in perspective, despite the ongoing dilution of the upgrade pool, life is good!
There has to be something for people who hit 1K organically this year. I feel like there has to be something to separate the people that had BIS to make it happen this year. Even if it’s a reduced qualification for 2022, there needs to be something.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Collierkr
so what have you been flying instead? And what perks do you get there?
You weren't asking me but I will bite.

I qualified for 1K back in April, and more or less stopped flying UA thereafter other than really cheap G/K fares. I fly other airlines such as AS and DL for better peace of mind, primarily. Perks you can find them on their websites.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:08 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
My mom, who has flown United twice this year and 0 times in 2020, got the 1K status extension and the pluspoints extension.

Lolz, I sincerely feel for the people that put in $3K for FTF.
SPN Lifer and blug like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
My mom, who has flown United twice this year and 0 times in 2020, got the 1K status extension and the pluspoints extension.

Lolz, I sincerely feel for the people that put in $3K for FTF.
This and others just confirms UA is using extensions to acquire new revenue as opposed to retaining elite revenue. Maybe they’re the ones flying on the supersonic jets in 2029.

No surprise, the “plastic cup, junk service” airline has been playing games with its elites for years. Infuriating and the last straw for me.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:18 pm

Gold and not extended. Only took 2 flights this year with UA
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
1K, MM. 1 segment on UA since pandemic. Extended to 2023. I've been 1K consistently for about 15 years. Pure speculation but I'm wondering whether part of their criteria were related to longer term travel patterns/status or a factor like Million Miler status.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:58 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I wonder how many people spent extra money to re-qualify with FTF. Hard lesson to learn but better late than never:

These companies aren’t loyal to you. Why be loyal to them?

In the words of Harvey Specter: ”Loyalty is a two-way street. If I'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me.” Not a single travel company adheres to this.
greg99, SPN Lifer, blug and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by GlobalServiced
There has to be something for people who hit 1K organically this year. I feel like there has to be something to separate the people that had BIS to make it happen this year. Even if it’s a reduced qualification for 2022, there needs to be something.
Why does there have to be something? What is the upside for UA of giving you something? What is the downside to UA if they don’t?

“Fairness” isn’t a thing.
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.