Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 5:50 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I wonder if it might not have something to do with members' most common flight destinations. For example, if your most common destination is Japan, UA may have bumped you up in status because you would not have been able to fly there for a good part of the year since it has been closed to visitors, which is no fault of the member. I imagine they might have an algorithm that is weighted depending on the accessibility of certain destinations. In other words, if your common flight destinations have been accessible to you year-round, then they won't bump you up since you could have flown there if you wanted to, but others who could not get to their destinations due to lockdowns, etc. are bumped up because they couldn't go there even if they wanted to. It's just a guess.
Interesting theory. I posit that the actual formula is much more random as that is too logical for the nonsense United company.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by aussieinsf
1K, MM. 1 segment on UA since pandemic. Extended to 2023. I've been 1K consistently for about 15 years. Pure speculation but I'm wondering whether part of their criteria were related to longer term travel patterns/status or a factor like Million Miler status.
I'm reading these various anecdotes and it seems that the people who barely flew the last two years are being extended. The people who flew a decent amount in 2021 but are short of the mark for status (whatever that is in their particular case) are not being extended. Interesting for sure.

The thought process may have been that if you barely flew you could not fly because of covid fears, border closings, corporate travel restrictions. If you did fly then you could have made your status but chose not to put in the effort.

If this truly is the system of status extensions it does somewhat help those like myself who qualified for my status (1K) by BIS when it comes to upgrade competition. We're not competing with those who have been flying more regularly but didn't hit the target.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ttb217
1k here but did not get my status extended. Anyone in the same boat and figured out why some were left out? I’m based in Houston so feeling pretty disappointed
I was left out too, based in ORD.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Interesting theory. I posit that the actual formula is much more random as that is too logical for the nonsense United company.
Definitely nonsense other than the overt strategy of grabbing short-term leisure travelers above elites.

I had over $20K in spend with travel to Europe, Asia, Australia and premium tcon in paid J in 2019. Was not extended either.

I am flying JFK-LAX on AA tomorrow in J and expecting a meal far superior to anything UA is offering anywhere.
J_Stroming and WasKnown like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could it be they extended status for those with multiple prior years at some status?

Complete guess.

Did anyone who wasn't extended have status from 2018 or before? Or the other way (someone extended without history of status)?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm reading these various anecdotes and it seems that the people who barely flew the last two years are being extended. The people who flew a decent amount in 2021 but are short of the mark for status (whatever that is in their particular case) are not being extended. Interesting for sure.

The thought process may have been that if you barely flew you could not fly because of covid fears, border closings, corporate travel restrictions. If you did fly then you could have made your status but chose not to put in the effort.

If this truly is the system of status extensions it does somewhat help those like myself who qualified for my status (1K) by BIS when it comes to upgrade competition. We're not competing with those who have been flying more regularly but didn't hit the target.
Many of the theories mentioned are reasonable but I agree with this one the most. On the other hand, all the theories have had a counter DP including this one. Think someone mentioned qualifying for Silver but still getting Gold the extension and someone else not getting the Silver extension without much flying.

Rewarded for no flying, punished for incremental flying, and simultaneously rewarded and punished for sufficient flying.

Last edited by ALGU; Dec 5, 2021 at 7:10 am
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
Could it be they extended status for those with multiple prior years at some status?

Complete guess.

Did anyone who wasn't extended have status from 2018 or before? Or the other way (someone extended without history of status)?
I had Silver status prior to status challenging to Platinum in 2019 and wasn’t extended.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by ALGU
I had Silver status prior to status challenging to Platinum in 2019 and wasn’t extended.
I had 1K status prior to 1K in 2019 and wasn’t extended.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It seems like Delta was the only one to really get this one right.
1) They extended everyone
2) They treated flying better in 2021 by giving those flights extra qualification miles
3) They then roll over all of the miles into 2022, including the extra miles
4) People that qualify for status by meeting requirements actually get higher upgrade priority
5) Award flights now accrue status miles

So they extend everyone, but give people an incentive not only to requalify for their old status but actually gain new elite status
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Relax. I expect some additional goodies will be awarded to 'qualifiers' when the formal announcement is made.
Give those 1K'ers who requalified (legitimately or with FTTF) Global Services for a year.

Then all hell will break loose on UA FT
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
It seems like Delta was the only one to really get this one right.
1) They extended everyone
2) They treated flying better in 2021 by giving those flights extra qualification miles
3) They then roll over all of the miles into 2022, including the extra miles
4) People that qualify for status by meeting requirements actually get higher upgrade priority
5) Award flights now accrue status miles

So they extend everyone, but give people an incentive not only to requalify for their old status but actually gain new elite status
DL is the only US airline that got the pandemic right by blocking middle seats for as long as possible. UA used “safety” as an excuse for garbage catering while overselling planes throughout COVID-19.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gokeeper
Where did you travel to pre covid? Domestic or international? I know a few US based flyers whose status were extended, they all mainly travel to international destinations, especially Asia.
though seems like some other FTers are counterpoints, most of my PQP in 2019 came from travel to Asia. And I’ve been either 1K or plat for last 5-6 years. I was extended.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
DL is the only US airline that got the pandemic right by blocking middle seats for as long as possible. UA used “safety” as an excuse for garbage catering while overselling planes throughout COVID-19.
You are correct. DL was doing well last year. As soon as they do not block the middle seats, Delta variant came along. DL tried to make people call this variant any thing but Delta. 🔼
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
When it's all revealed, I believe EVERY constituency will be happy. That said, I'm amazed UA can brilliantly market new routes (puzzle videos, Twitter buzz, media coverage), but absolutely bungle this rollout. Changes start quietly on Thursday, front line MP agents don't get the memo until Friday, media not notified so they speculate, conspiracy theories abound online, etc...

I understand Friday is a bad day to release news, but they could notify the media, have them embargo the story untill Monday morning, create buzz around a big announcement coming, and turn this into a positive. UA's Loyalty team needs to get help from UA's very capable Marketing team.
JNelson113, seanp7 and drewguy like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:30 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Overall, I do prefer Delta to United for many reasons. However, Delta wasn’t perfect during this time. The recent devaluation of GUCs is pretty annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.