Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Ua might not have planned to extend anyone until quite recently. Omicron may have changed the whole picture for all we know.
The overhyped Omicron and the end of the promotional period were only a few days apart.

There were tea leaves throughout the year UA wasn't going let its elite group thin out - PQP bonuses up to 14,250, lower qualification requirements, GS blanket extension, even lower requalification requirements...
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by seanp7
Give those 1K'ers who requalified (legitimately or with FTTF) Global Services for a year.

Then all hell will break loose on UA FT
It wouldn't make any difference to the UG rate for GSs which, according to my corporate GS friends and those posting here on FT, is currently abysmal.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by zombietooth
It wouldn't make any difference to the UG rate for GSs which, according to my corporate GS friends and those posting here on FT, is currently abysmal.
Interesting. If the GS members aren't getting the upgrades, who is? Paid upgrades or just outright FC purchases?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
Silver and not extended

Offered as a data point:

After several years without status, I qualified for 2021 Silver based on the lowered requirements last year. I currently have 3920 PQPs, earned mostly through CC spend, and only 2 segments (plus 2 PQFs through spend).

I was not extended.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Interesting. If the GS members aren't getting the upgrades, who is? Paid upgrades or just outright FC purchases?
It's both but, based on my personal observations, around half of the F cabin is cash sales to casual i.e. non-elite flyers. I always buy F on transcons and flights longer than 3 hours now, since about SEP of '20, and will buy Y and apply PPs on <3 hour flights. My UG rate on those short flights, with PPs applied, is less than 40%. I'm OK with Y on short flights but want F on longer flights, so I buy it at booking. I haven't tried the, book Y and wait for a good buy-up offer tack, but I doubt there's very many good offers on my transcons because F always seems to be sold-out many days before departure on most of my flights.
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
When it's all revealed, I believe EVERY constituency will be happy. That said, I'm amazed UA can brilliantly market new routes (puzzle videos, Twitter buzz, media coverage), but absolutely bungle this rollout. Changes start quietly on Thursday, front line MP agents don't get the memo until Friday, media not notified so they speculate, conspiracy theories abound online, etc...

I understand Friday is a bad day to release news, but they could notify the media, have them embargo the story untill Monday morning, create buzz around a big announcement coming, and turn this into a positive. UA's Loyalty team needs to get help from UA's very capable Marketing team.
If the sum total of the announcement is that some people get free extensions, plus some six month PP extensions, it's hard to see how the turns into a big announcement that the media would care about.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nycflyer222
DL is the only US airline that got the pandemic right by blocking middle seats for as long as possible. UA used “safety” as an excuse for garbage catering while overselling planes throughout COVID-19.
Seems like United got it right, unless Delta was able to charge a massive premium by selling fewer seats. 20 months later, there are zero confirmed cases of inflight COVID transmission on US carriers as far as I'm aware.
cesco.g and Flying Machine like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
I'm a 1K 2MM that qualified for 2022 with FTF. Saw my 30 PP that were supposed to expire in early 2022 extend into 2023. I think the move by United is a good one to keep whomever they decided to keep. I don't think the folks who got extensions would receive any additional PP anyway with the extension.

I'm more curious as to which promos they'd add or PQPs they'd deposit into our accounts starting 1/1.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
Seems like United got it right, unless Delta was able to charge a massive premium by selling fewer seats. 20 months later, there are zero confirmed cases of inflight COVID transmission on US carriers as far as I'm aware.
As silly as it was to block seats on DL to prevent COVID spread, it sure was nice flying on them while it lasted. It felt very exclusive to have a whole row to yourself most of the time (in F).
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Could it be they extended status for those with multiple prior years at some status?

Complete guess.

Did anyone who wasn't extended have status from 2018 or before? Or the other way (someone extended without history of status)?
Probably based on a multiple factors based on activity prior based on corp (business) activity, location, and current activity.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:15 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edcho
Probably based on a multiple factors based on activity prior based on corp (business) activity, location, and current activity.
Based on data points in this thread, it could also be more random than anything.
nycflyer222 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I got my PP extended the furthest, but this is crazy haphazard. Disappointing that UA appears to have so far not provide anything significant to those that actually made the effort to fly on UA this year and make status. I was happy to actually get on a plane and go to places again (did not get COVID on a plane nor feel perilously unsafe at any time during traveling), but still this is a nice slap in the face to the truest of loyal UA passengers.
J_Stroming, jimdarcy and Pb77 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't trust them to make a "complex" "holistic" decision from "multiple factors", or at least not to do so accurately. Just trying a hypothesis that would be relatively easy to confirm/refute if a few people report.

Originally Posted by WasKnown
Based on data points in this thread, it could also be more random than anything.
In effect, at least if not in design — quite possibly!
nycflyer222 and WasKnown like this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GlobalServiced
There has to be something for people who hit 1K organically this year. I feel like there has to be something to separate the people that had BIS to make it happen this year. Even if it’s a reduced qualification for 2022, there needs to be something.
I was I believe one flight from "organic" 1K and for the first time in my life was actually going to do a mileage run probably to LAX the week prior to Xmas. Was definitely NOT looking forward to it but obviously now I won't.

Last edited by nomad420; Dec 5, 2021 at 11:41 am Reason: syntax error
Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Not sure if this is what you meant but it very well could have been that MP accounts linked to corporate contracts were targeted for automatic extension as one criterion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.