Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus status extension into 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Another datapoint; I was Gold and got that extended till Jan 2023.

All of one UA revenue flight in 2021 (and maybe four more award flights), and UA Club Card holder.

Needless to say, I’m happy. I didn’t even try for FttF.

Last edited by dordal; Dec 4, 2021 at 10:02 am
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I'm gold and mine shows extended though I would have made gold this week I am pretty sure based on the flights I have (I am about 740 PQP short). Anyway glad I don't have to worry about missing out due to miscalculating PQP. *A Gold is handy for me plus I do sometimes get upgrades to/from Canada at the moment (actually most of the time I do) given the reduced travel.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This means that the 2022 1K population will include all 2019 1Ks plus everyone who qualified under the reduced 1K standards for 2020 and 2021. I think it's safe to say the 2022 1K ranks will be the largest ever, and by a large margin.

Who says benefits are being diluted and devalued?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
This means that the 2022 1K population will include all 2019 1Ks plus everyone who qualified under the reduced 1K standards for 2020 and 2021. I think it's safe to say the 2022 1K ranks will be the largest ever, and by a large margin.

Who says benefits are being diluted and devalued?
All this is true, but do we know how many new 1Ks qualified in 2020 or 2021? And just because there are more 1Ks than ever doesn’t mean there are more 1Ks than ever flying with the same frequency. What matters isn’t how many 1Ks are out there, but rather how many of them are flying.
greg99, cesco.g, jsloan and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I just called in and was told I’ll have Platinum status next year and 1K extensions were “select”.

FWIW, I have a United Club Infinite Card and had 12K PQP excluding the 2500 credit card PQP.

This sucks. Guess I’m switching to AA!
1) I would give it a couple days before switching - agent May be wrong
2) why not fly 500 PQP and qualify and also get PP plus extension of PP to 1/23? Surely there’s an easy $500 flight you can find.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
The saying goes, when everyone has status, no one has status.

People writing about long upgrade list, volume of preboarders and group 1s, lack of bin space might reach critical mass next year.
With each passing day, my policy of WFBF seems more and more sound. We've just had a huge explosion in the population of PlusPoints. Just like with the US dollar, printing more just decreases their value. In this case, we have millions more PlusPoints chasing fewer and fewer unsold premium cabin seats. What could go wrong?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
1) I would give it a couple days before switching - agent May be wrong
2) why not fly 500 PQP and qualify and also get PP plus extension of PP to 1/23? Surely there’s an easy $500 flight you can find.
I need 15000 PQP or 12500PQP + 36 segments. The credit card PQP only apply for the second for some reason…
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All this is true, but do we know how many new 1Ks qualified in 2020 or 2021?
We don't have to. We know that 2019 was a record travel year, and that UA reduced thresholds considerably in 2020 and 2021. Whatever the current number is, it's more than what that number was at January 31, 2020, and I would imagine by a fairly large margin given how easy it was to requalify in 2021 in particular.
And just because there are more 1Ks than ever doesn’t mean there are more 1Ks than ever flying with the same frequency. What matters isn’t how many 1Ks are out there, but rather how many of them are flying.
Are you flying? I've been flying more of less weekly since March 2020, and can tell you that the airports are packed, flights are packed, and UA upgrades are now close to nonexistent for me (AA is better, AS much better).

In any event, I don't think the basic point - that this extension reflects a massive ongoing dilution of the 1K program - can credibly be disputed.

I say this as a somewhat interested observer. I won't ever chase UA status again, and requalified this year purely by accident.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't have to. We know that 2019 was a record travel year, and that UA reduced thresholds considerably in 2020 and 2021. Whatever the current number is, it's more than what that number was at January 31, 2020, and I would imagine by a fairly large margin given how easy it was to requalify in 2021 in particular.
Are you flying? I've been flying more of less weekly since March 2020, and can tell you that the airports are packed, flights are packed, and UA upgrades are now close to nonexistent for me (AA is better, AS much better). In any event, I don't think the basic point - that this extension reflects a massive ongoing dilution of the 1K program - can credibly be disputed.
I say this as a somewhat interested observer. I won't ever chase UA status again, and requalified this year purely by accident.
Well Kacee congrats anyhow on the requal. I just saw this AM that my 1K and PPs were extended until 1/31/2023 so happy about that as I was sitting on literally hundreds of PPs that would certainly have expired. I have not traveled weekly but consistently and usually in big blocks of travel throughout the pandemic. I now need to check my ETCs which I suspect did not get extended but I definitely want to use. My experience as you probably know is same as yours, out of SFO almost zero upgrades now often even with PPs in play hence the large amount sitting in my account. I have used them with multiple family members with very low success rate (admittedly they have low to no status). I apply them to nearly everything I book now but as I fly a lot of SFO to the Islands they almost never clear. And yes AS upgrades are way easier in my experience as well.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nomad420
Well Kacee congrats anyhow on the requal. I just saw this AM that my 1K and PPs were extended until 1/31/2023 so happy about that as I was sitting on literally hundreds of PPs that would certainly have expired. I have not traveled weekly but consistently and usually in big blocks of travel throughout the pandemic. I now need to check my ETCs which I suspect did not get extended but I definitely want to use. My experience as you probably know is same as yours, out of SFO almost zero upgrades now often even with PPs in play hence the large amount sitting in my account. I have used them with multiple family members with very low success rate (admittedly they have low to no status). I apply them to nearly everything I book now but as I fly a lot of SFO to the Islands they almost never clear. And yes AS upgrades are way easier in my experience as well.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...#etc-extension

David

p.s. try not to complain so much
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
At the end of the day - all this extension means is more threads griping about a lack of upgrades - and PlusPoints that don't clear. Nothing more - nothing less. If these extended 1K's actually do start flying - they are in for a harsh reality.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by J_Stroming
I realized this a while ago and stopped wasting money on United when they’re just going to keep giving exemptions to people. Hit 1K reduced qualifications and completely stopped flying United whereas in the past I would have kept flying out of loyalty. Hopefully United’s gamble is worth it.
so what have you been flying instead? And what perks do you get there?
SPN Lifer and kilo like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:38 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
I just called MileagePlus and the agent confirmed by reading through her internal email that this status extension is selectively offered (she doesn't know the criteria) and the update process is complete.

My data point
No status extension, but my PPs were extended to July 2022
Home base: Denver
​​​Grounded from travel to work and flew 2 segments this year
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Sawasdee
I just called MileagePlus and the agent confirmed by reading through her internal email that this status extension is selectively offered (she doesn't know the criteria) and the update process is complete.

My data point
No status extension, but my PPs were extended to July 2022
Home base: Denver
​​​Grounded from travel to work and flew 2 segments this year
Are you saying that you are still showing your 1K expires 1/31/2022? Not sure I would be happy NOT to be "selected". Have others documented not being selected?
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:50 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Originally Posted by jrquad
Are you saying that you are still showing your 1K expires 1/31/2022? Not sure I would be happy NOT to be "selected". Have others documented not being selected?
Yup, forgot to say my status still expires 01/2022, but my PPs were extended to Jul 2022.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.