FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MileagePlus status extension into 2023
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:22 am
nomad420

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't have to. We know that 2019 was a record travel year, and that UA reduced thresholds considerably in 2020 and 2021. Whatever the current number is, it's more than what that number was at January 31, 2020, and I would imagine by a fairly large margin given how easy it was to requalify in 2021 in particular.
Are you flying? I've been flying more of less weekly since March 2020, and can tell you that the airports are packed, flights are packed, and UA upgrades are now close to nonexistent for me (AA is better, AS much better). In any event, I don't think the basic point - that this extension reflects a massive ongoing dilution of the 1K program - can credibly be disputed.
I say this as a somewhat interested observer. I won't ever chase UA status again, and requalified this year purely by accident.
Well Kacee congrats anyhow on the requal. I just saw this AM that my 1K and PPs were extended until 1/31/2023 so happy about that as I was sitting on literally hundreds of PPs that would certainly have expired. I have not traveled weekly but consistently and usually in big blocks of travel throughout the pandemic. I now need to check my ETCs which I suspect did not get extended but I definitely want to use. My experience as you probably know is same as yours, out of SFO almost zero upgrades now often even with PPs in play hence the large amount sitting in my account. I have used them with multiple family members with very low success rate (admittedly they have low to no status). I apply them to nearly everything I book now but as I fly a lot of SFO to the Islands they almost never clear. And yes AS upgrades are way easier in my experience as well.