Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dav3d
From narvik (post 40):

To enroll: https://avisstatus.mileageplus.com/

(You will need: Mileage Plus Number, Avis Wizard Number)

United Avis Discount Portal: cars.united.com/avisbudget

Avis President's Club Status
Qualification: United MileagePlus® members with Premier® Platinum and higher status, as well as primary Cardmembers of the United ClubSM Infinite Card, UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card, United ClubSM Business Card, and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card qualify to enroll for Avis President’s Club status in countries where the Avis elite status is available. Enrollment for President’s Club status is required, and the status will be in effect up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance. MileagePlus members who hold trial Premier status with MileagePlus, including without limitation because of a MileagePlus Premier status match challenge program, are not eligible for status with Avis through this offer.

Benefits:
  • Start your journey with a double upgrade - whenever it's available.
  • Guaranteed car every time.
  • Dedicated President's Club number for reservations and customer support.
  • Accelerate your rewards by opting into Avis Preferred Points. Receive 50% more points for every dollar you spend.
Avis Preferred Plus Status
Qualification: United MileagePlus members with Premier Silver or Premier Gold status qualify to enroll for Avis Preferred Plus status in countries where the Avis elite status is available. Enrollment for Avis Preferred Plus status is required, and such status will be in effect up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance. MileagePlus members who hold trial Premier status in MileagePlus, including without limitation because of a MileagePlus Premier status match challenge program are not eligible for status with Avis through this offer.

Benefits:
  • Receive complimentary upgrades (whenever available)
  • Earn 25%-50% more points for every qualifying dollar you spend
  • Use a special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer service support
Print Wikipost

United and Avis ink new partnership

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:15 pm

Haven’t seen this discussed here yet:

Avis charges a “FREQUENT TRAVELER PROGRAM FOR MILES/POINTS” fee if you choose to credit to UA Mileage Plus. I know it’s not new, but I found it pretty sneaky that they tack it on after the reservation is booked. Their FAQ states that this fee is their “offset their costs of participating in the FF programs”.

The final rate before you click “reserve” makes no mention of the fee, but you can see it added when viewing your reservation. It amounted to $10.50 plus whatever %tax is charged in the locale on a $250-weeklong reservation. Haven’t booked Avis with the new UA relationship yet, so I can’t make out if what you get in return is worth the fee. Anyone has experience?
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by az22

Avis charges a “FREQUENT TRAVELER PROGRAM FOR MILES/POINTS” fee if you choose to credit to UA Mileage Plus. I know it’s not new, but I found it pretty sneaky that they tack it on after the reservation is booked. Their FAQ states that this fee is their “offset their costs of participating in the FF programs”.

The final rate before you click “reserve” makes no mention of the fee, but you can see it added when viewing your reservation. It amounted to $10.50 plus whatever %tax is charged in the locale on a $250-weeklong reservation. Haven’t booked Avis with the new UA relationship yet, so I can’t make out if what you get in return is worth the fee. Anyone has experience?
I'm pretty sure all rental car companies charge a similar fee. I know National does so I'd be shocked if Hertz didn't.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most companies do this. I agree they do it sneakily. However, I have not seen it be that high ($10.50).
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by CaptJOB
I'm pretty sure all rental car companies charge a similar fee. I know National does so I'd be shocked if Hertz didn't.
My last rental of around $550- with Hertz had a $2.25 frequent flyer surcharge.

I've done a few AVIS rentals in Hawaii lately because they were a lot cheaper than Hertz, and their customer service and car selection for UG sucks.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
I have had upgraded vehicles on several recent Avis rentals. But I've also tried to rent twice from Avis in Phoenix in the last two months, and there have been no cars available. Once, I had to go to an off-airport location to get a car, and for next weekend, I've had to rent from Hertz instead. So this partnership has only been moderately successful for me, so far.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
It amounted to $10.50 plus whatever %tax is charged in the locale on a $250-weeklong reservation. Haven’t booked Avis with the new UA relationship yet, so I can’t make out if what you get in return is worth the fee. Anyone has experience?
Originally Posted by fumje
Most companies do this. I agree they do it sneakily. However, I have not seen it be that high ($10.50).
It's usually charged on a "per day" basis, so longer rentals will incur a greater fee. Since it appears that many of the partner miles/points awarded are on a fixed "per rental" basis, there's less value in longer rentals.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
All this Hertz vs. Avis becomes a mute point, when the ONLY rental place that even has cars at EWR is Hertz!
Looking at a month out, and no rental place has cars, except Hertz....albeit at $240 per day. Sheesh....
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:10 pm

What does "Benefits:Guaranteed car every time." mean, exactly?

Because I am seeing "The location you have selected is Sold Out during the dates requested."

Added:
It seems I forgot about "rental car company' logic: originally received the "The location you have selected is Sold Out during the dates requested" error, but then did the same one-way rental but instead of next-day drop off, did a 6 day rental with the same prick-up and drop-off location, and that suddenly worked (for both AVIS and Hertz). So it appears that it wasn't they they didn't have cars....they didn't have cars for a one-day rental?!?!
(also interestingly, a 6 day rental (diff pick-up/drop-off) is only double the cost of a one day rental (same pick-up/drop-off); I guess the weekly rate kicked in)

Last edited by narvik; Apr 10, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
You can't book a car under the guaranteed car benefit online or through third parties. Theoretically you can just show up at the counter without a reservation and they'll rent you a car, but much like guaranteed room availability with hotel programs I'm sure that the rates are pretty absurd.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sykes
You can't book a car under the guaranteed car benefit online or through third parties. Theoretically you can just show up at the counter without a reservation and they'll rent you a car, but much like guaranteed room availability with hotel programs I'm sure that the rates are pretty absurd.
I mean, they're something around $200 to $300 for a one-day rental at EWR later this week. That's already "pretty absurd"!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I haven’t used Avis yet, but each time I shop, Hertz beats them. Also, maybe I’m a creature of habit, but I really enjoy walking to the garage and picking a car. I noticed Hertz will do a status match to Avis and others..,.so those that want to stay with Hertz, if I’m reading it right, just status match back to Hertz from your new Avis PC next year when Hertz drops.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by asphaltman
I haven’t used Avis yet, but each time I shop, Hertz beats them. Also, maybe I’m a creature of habit, but I really enjoy walking to the garage and picking a car. I noticed Hertz will do a status match to Avis and others..,.so those that want to stay with Hertz, if I’m reading it right, just status match back to Hertz from your new Avis PC next year when Hertz drops.
What does Hertz match to, though?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
What does Hertz match to, though?
If you have Avis Presidents Club, Hertz will match you to Presidents Circle (again), so another year.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 9:12 pm

Tried Avis as presidents club for the 1st time at TPA, app did not gave me an option to pick any car (error message), upstairs was not too busy but agent told me to go downstairs at the preferred booth to pick up the car, downstairs long line with customers with broken/malfunction vehicles, took 15 min to pick Chrysler 300 S, tank was not full, big dent on the passenger rear door (no wonder why they left only an inch of space on the right side), switched with another 300 S, again not full tank, I guess no one wanted V8 sedan, took almost an hour to get a Camry with 500 miles on the clock.
I will stick with National Exec Elite in the future

Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by UAFAM
Tried Avis as presidents club for the 1st time at TPA, app did not gave me an option to pick any car (error message), upstairs was not too busy but agent told me to go downstairs at the preferred booth to pick up the car, downstairs long line with customers with broken/malfunction vehicles, took 15 min to pick Chrysler 300 S, tank was not full, big dent on the passenger rear door (no wonder why they left only an inch of space on the right side), switched with another 300 S, again not full tank, I guess no one wanted V8 sedan, took almost an hour to get a Camry with 500 miles on the clock.
I will stick with National Exec Elite in the future

does National do status matches?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.