Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dav3d
From narvik (post 40):

To enroll: https://avisstatus.mileageplus.com/

(You will need: Mileage Plus Number, Avis Wizard Number)

United Avis Discount Portal: cars.united.com/avisbudget

Avis President's Club Status
Qualification: United MileagePlus® members with Premier® Platinum and higher status, as well as primary Cardmembers of the United ClubSM Infinite Card, UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card, United ClubSM Business Card, and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card qualify to enroll for Avis President’s Club status in countries where the Avis elite status is available. Enrollment for President’s Club status is required, and the status will be in effect up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance. MileagePlus members who hold trial Premier status with MileagePlus, including without limitation because of a MileagePlus Premier status match challenge program, are not eligible for status with Avis through this offer.

Benefits:
  • Start your journey with a double upgrade - whenever it's available.
  • Guaranteed car every time.
  • Dedicated President's Club number for reservations and customer support.
  • Accelerate your rewards by opting into Avis Preferred Points. Receive 50% more points for every dollar you spend.
Avis Preferred Plus Status
Qualification: United MileagePlus members with Premier Silver or Premier Gold status qualify to enroll for Avis Preferred Plus status in countries where the Avis elite status is available. Enrollment for Avis Preferred Plus status is required, and such status will be in effect up to 7 business days after enrollment and acceptance. MileagePlus members who hold trial Premier status in MileagePlus, including without limitation because of a MileagePlus Premier status match challenge program are not eligible for status with Avis through this offer.

Benefits:
  • Receive complimentary upgrades (whenever available)
  • Earn 25%-50% more points for every qualifying dollar you spend
  • Use a special Avis Preferred Plus number for reservations and customer service support
Print Wikipost

United and Avis ink new partnership

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Tried my first rental with Avis since the changeover - Vegas at Bellagio. Obviously not a pick your car place.

But, proactively called me that my Noon reservation meant they would be closed at lunch 12:00-1:00. The voicemail referred me as you are my VIP - so nice touch - asked on vm if I could come at 11:45 which I did (I'd be seriously annoyed if I came at Noon and saw a come back at 1pm sign - Avis, don't accept a noon reservation if you are closed).

She went out of her way to say she kept the best car available (Chrysler 300S/kinda gangster like) and she was extremely polite.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Trying to book with Avis for a forthcoming rental but goodness it's difficult. I think I've linked my historic Preferred Number with UA (the UA site said yes, the Avis site makes no reference to anything). I find an acceptable rate, but there's no way to add my MP number. There's drop down of rental programs, including Continental, but no United....
Old Feb 23, 2022, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My experiences with Hertz have been mediocre at best, lawyer involved at worst.

Avis counters vary so much by location. I was in MKE a few weekends ago and they've closed the Preferred desk in the ramp, and the counter was swamped. Except preferred. Walked up and out before the lady who was helping was done with the person she was with (signing all the contracts.) Maybe 5 minutes. Reserved a "manager's choice" and got a 4 door Tacoma. I usually prefer an SUV, but it was better than the Accent I was expecting.

Hertz? They accused me of damaging a vehicle I had overnight. When their lawyer letters started, I just had mine reply. Never heard back after that. I'm 100% certain the previous renter damaged it. They're my last resort for a rental.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: UA - GS 8 years 1K - many!!, Mariott - Titanium, Hilton - Gold, Avis - President, Hertz - President
Match was almost instant after registering on the website.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My guess is those of us with good corporate rates will sort of lock in on a specific vendor (I haven’t looked outside of Hertz in probably 15-20 years)

On leisure rates would a UA code be better than say AAA?
pigzilla likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
My guess is those of us with good corporate rates will sort of lock in on a specific vendor (I haven’t looked outside of Hertz in probably 15-20 years)
That is the boat I am in - my company has aggressive corporate leisure rates with Hertz and none with Avis and the price difference has been huge with Avis much higher no matter what discount code I use. Will hate to lose the Hertz status when it expires as I don't rent enough to maintain it.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Decided to rent with Avis on my trip to BOI the last two days to try out the PC status and see if the experience was better than Hertz PC. Overall, nothing seemed any better or worse than Hertz. I walked up to the elite line at BOI and the agent asked if I was an elite member after she already had my ID/CC and was printing out my reservation. Mentioned I was PC and basically got an "oh yeah". I rented a sedan, though was offered a Toyota 4Runner due to low availability. Not a bad vehicle, though no active SXM which I've found to almost always be the case when I've rented with Hertz. Overall, nothing better or worse. I'll just rent based upon who offers the best rate.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
On leisure rates would a UA code be better than say AAA?
For Hertz, I've found AAA to be slightly better than UA.

Avis doesn't have a AAA code that I'm aware of.
uastarflyer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:16 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Small business manager here...Outside of a pretty decent discount a National employee set us up with a decade ago. I have no loyalty to any rental company--Despite having status with Hertz, Avis, National, Budget and Sixt...I usually book the best rate, and if things are nearly equal, I'll go with the best car or the best rewards. Therefore, Sixt has been by go-to...Many complaints about them in general, and I hate their lack of express line (even as a "Platinum", whatever that's good for) but I'm usually guaranteed a BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar or the like for LESS than what an Exec Aisle, Hertz PC or whatever we are with Avis now via United.

That being said, anyone notice Hertz is VERY aggressive on their pricing if you use the (old but still active, apparently) United discount codes? It hasn't mattered--I have a 1-day rental coming up. Hertz was half of the big boys and still cheaper than the "I'll never rent froms..." (like Fox, Advantage, etc). I have a Mon-Fri coming up even sooner. Hertz was $350-all in, the next best was Budget at over $500. If I rebook both of them today, the rates are higher, but Hertz is still cheaper by a long way. And in my cases, the UA rate was a lot cheaper than AAA as well. Both at top 10 largest airports. I've also had to 1-way last minute to/from my home airport this year--Hertz all the way again. No matter how I slice it: 1 day rental or weekly, booked well in advance or short term, one-way or roundtrip...Hertz has been killing it with the UA rate, even after the partnership allegedly ended. Looks to me like Hertz is keeping the aggressive pricing with United elites in an attempt to keep us as customers. And a no-brainer for me--even $50 for a week less is certainly not worth the, what, 2,000 UAMP points I might earn with Avis?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Small business manager here...Outside of a pretty decent discount a National employee set us up with a decade ago. I have no loyalty to any rental company--Despite having status with Hertz, Avis, National, Budget and Sixt...I usually book the best rate, and if things are nearly equal, I'll go with the best car or the best rewards. Therefore, Sixt has been by go-to...Many complaints about them in general, and I hate their lack of express line (even as a "Platinum", whatever that's good for) but I'm usually guaranteed a BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar or the like for LESS than what an Exec Aisle, Hertz PC or whatever we are with Avis now via United.

That being said, anyone notice Hertz is VERY aggressive on their pricing if you use the (old but still active, apparently) United discount codes? It hasn't mattered--I have a 1-day rental coming up. Hertz was half of the big boys and still cheaper than the "I'll never rent froms..." (like Fox, Advantage, etc). I have a Mon-Fri coming up even sooner. Hertz was $350-all in, the next best was Budget at over $500. If I rebook both of them today, the rates are higher, but Hertz is still cheaper by a long way. And in my cases, the UA rate was a lot cheaper than AAA as well. Both at top 10 largest airports. I've also had to 1-way last minute to/from my home airport this year--Hertz all the way again. No matter how I slice it: 1 day rental or weekly, booked well in advance or short term, one-way or roundtrip...Hertz has been killing it with the UA rate, even after the partnership allegedly ended. Looks to me like Hertz is keeping the aggressive pricing with United elites in an attempt to keep us as customers. And a no-brainer for me--even $50 for a week less is certainly not worth the, what, 2,000 UAMP points I might earn with Avis?
I notice that rental car prices are generally what I would call insane right now, and that Hertz is not as insane as most. However, I'm not seeing any different price booking with or without the old United CDP. It does register, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Are you sure you're getting a discount for your bookings?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:31 pm

That being said, anyone notice Hertz is VERY aggressive on their pricing if you use the (old but still active, apparently) United discount codes?
Hertz in general seems to have the playbook of high retail rates - and aggressively discounts with codes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 2:11 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
I notice that rental car prices are generally what I would call insane right now, and that Hertz is not as insane as most. However, I'm not seeing any different price booking with or without the old United CDP. It does register, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Are you sure you're getting a discount for your bookings?
Definitely different for me! With the UA discount code:

Without the UA code:

Over $100 cheaper this time with the UA code, and over $100 cheaper than Avis, using their "same" (but different, of course) United FF Discount...

All things are equal: Car size/class, pickup date and time, best 'discounts' applied, and no prepaids (never even a consideration for me). Better rates and more of a choice with Hertz! Price and type of car trump any rewards. This is what I get wherever I book, whenever I'm traveling, hence my post above a few minutes ago. Checking the OTA sites, same thing:

AND, what I see here is that in this case, Orbitz has a better rate than the United/Avis partnership. In summary, Avis seems to be laying an egg with the UA promotions when it comes to discounts, prices and selection (comparing Hertz giving me cars to choose from versus what Avis assigns).
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely different for me! With the UA discount code:

img

Without the UA code:

img

Over $100 cheaper this time with the UA code, and over $100 cheaper than Avis, using their "same" (but different, of course) United FF Discount...

img

All things are equal: Car size/class, pickup date and time, best 'discounts' applied, and no prepaids (never even a consideration for me). Better rates and more of a choice with Hertz! Price and type of car trump any rewards. This is what I get wherever I book, whenever I'm traveling, hence my post above a few minutes ago. Checking the OTA sites, same thing:

img

AND, what I see here is that in this case, Orbitz has a better rate than the United/Avis partnership. In summary, Avis seems to be laying an egg with the UA promotions when it comes to discounts, prices and selection (comparing Hertz giving me cars to choose from versus what Avis assigns).
Thanks, interesting, I was able to replicate. I had given up on it but will keep trying it, then. My experience with the United/Avis partnership is generally not great rates, and sometimes also worse than the OTAs' offerings. So it's good to have another tool, at least sometimes.
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:59 pm

I went to Toronto last minute for business a few weeks ago and National was sold out so I signed up for the United partnership with Avis. Reasonable rates BUT they upgraded me from a standard small SUV(Ford Escape or similar) to a BMW X3 when I got there. Wasn't used to being upgraded which felt nice. Didn't really love the car though.
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I got to experience my first time (in about a decade) experience with Avis rentals on my California trip last week. My observations: my recollection of Avis upgrades must be dated, and it's very unhelpful when it comes to SUVs. Upgraded cars nowhere as nice as I would think, but also that an upgrade for an SUV isn't an upgrade in hard product, per se, but instead an upgrade in size - not looking to drive a Suburban equivalent around San Francisco! Secondly, I got 2250 RDM, which was more than I thought I would. 500 base for booking, 250 for paying with a Chase card, and the 750 for each the Plat/1K/GS bonus, as well as the 750 earned for Silver/Gold bonus.

Given that, I decided to get the most out of the few months I have left on my Hertz PC membership and book it for half of my summer trip later this year (if it says Infiniti QX60...that's far better than anything Avis was showing me) at a similar price point, and then using Avis in PWM later (better price, but also having been through this airport so many times - not going to be a supremely luxury car to be had anyways).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.