FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United and Avis ink new partnership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2057867-united-avis-ink-new-partnership.html)

jrquad Nov 4, 2021 5:57 pm

United and Avis ink new partnership

Both United MileagePlus elite members and Chase cobranded credit cardholders will receive bonus miles if they credit their Avis and Budget rentals to the United loyalty program. This bonus ranges from 500 miles per rental for regular members up to 1,250 miles — valued at $16 according to the latest TPG valuations — for those with United Premier Platinum status or higher.

You’ll find the full breakdown below:
  • 500 miles per completed vehicle rental for MileagePlus general members.
  • 750 miles per completed vehicle rental for United Chase Cardmembers.
  • 1,000 miles per completed vehicle rental for MileagePlus Premier Silver and Premier Gold members.
  • 1,250 miles per completed vehicle rental for MileagePlus Premier Platinum, 1K and Global Services members.
The tie-up also includes a new online portal, cars.united.com/avisbudget, that offers discounted rates of up to 35% off, according to United.

In the coming months, the partnership will expand with two new (and potentially exciting) benefits for travelers.

The first is the ability to redeem United miles for rentals with Avis. United didn’t have any details to share around the redemption rate or how the award booking flow would work, but this will be a unique offering for a U.S. airline.

Two of United’s three biggest competitors, Delta and Southwest, don’t offer the ability to redeem miles toward car rentals. (American Airlines does offer the ability to redeem miles for car rentals through a specialized portal.) Ultimately, the devil will lie in the details of the redemption rate, so we’ll be sure to follow up when we learn more.

Additionally, MileagePlus Premier members and select United Chase cardmembers will soon be eligible to register for a complimentary status match with Avis. Again, the details aren’t yet available as to how the program will work, and which status tiers will be eligible for a match.

What we do know is that Avis has three elite tiers, one of which, Preferred Plus, is published on its website.

The other two levels, President’s Club and Chairman’s Club, have historically been available by invitation only, so it’ll be interesting to see how United’s status tiers map to Avis’s program.

With Hertz, United’s Premier Platinum and Premier 1K members enjoyed a complimentary status match to top-tier President’s Circle, while Premier Silvers and Premier Golds received mid-tier Five Star status.

MBS MillionMiler Nov 4, 2021 6:01 pm

Side note, I received an email today from Hertz that my President’s Circle status is extended until early 2023.

worldwidedreamer Nov 4, 2021 6:12 pm

Historically the Continental Presidential Plus credit card came with Avis Presidents Club status. Would not be surprised, or disappointed, if this was included. Will miss the Hertz status.

emcampbe Nov 4, 2021 6:58 pm

Honestly, I already have Avis status through cards, but still have never used them. I always seem to find same or mostly cheaper rates at Hertz (especially with AAA promos) and notably, with free toddler car seats via AAA with Hertz, and with almost all my traveling with the kids (ie, personal), almost always makes more sense to use them. I could carry toddler seat with me, but not having to schlep the seat with me makes it way more convenient.

raehl311 Nov 4, 2021 7:16 pm

Well I really liked my President's Circle status match, so hopefully the matching tier at Avis is similar.

eng3 Nov 4, 2021 7:28 pm

My company only allows me to book Avis/Budget so some status would be nice. I've gotten some really crappy (broken) cars lately, not sure if it is random. Ranging from no washer fluid to a message saying all electronic safety features are disabled.
Hopefully some status will help with that. I've never booked with Hertz before.

Santander Nov 4, 2021 7:31 pm

I don't own a car, so I'm a heavy renter, and recently moved into an apartment beside whatever the Avis equivalent of a HLE is, so I am very happy with this change. :) Stopped renting from Hertz several years ago, anyway.
Hoping for status, and bring on the MileagePesos!

uanj Nov 4, 2021 7:38 pm

I am not going to miss Hertz, the pandemic pricing broke any remaining loyalty. I have nothing against Hertz, but as a traveler you make sure you have a decent airfare only to find out the daily car rental rate will be more than the airfare.... you become car rental company agnostic really quick. Paying 600 dollars a day to rent a car yet having to wait in line at the airport over an hour and half to even get the car, um, no thanks Hertz. Glad I discovered other channels.

I think that all in all the pandemic was handled best by Amtrak, then airlines, then hotels, and worst by the car rental companies. Would make an interesting topic to discuss elsewhere.

cfischer Nov 4, 2021 8:13 pm

Hertz through Marriott and Avis through UA ... works for me!

jimdarcy Nov 5, 2021 6:25 am

Avis status

Are you guys manually getting status match via Avis website or waiting to see what/how United will make something happen?

COSYR Nov 5, 2021 12:07 pm

I'm happy that Hertz extended my President's Circle through early 2023, so there is some status until all the details come through with the Avis partnership. I liked Hertz' Ultimate Choice, and I'm still surprised more other companies haven't copied it, but Hertz' Pres Circle only included a single class upgrade as a benefit, versus back when I was Avis President's Club, it was 2 classes. Some of that is semantics, as good employees would say "Ooo, you're Pres Circle/Club. Let's see what the best car we can give you is." and other's would completely ignore it. Also, at any company, I find even travelers without status rarely end up in the exact class vehicle they rent, just because cars are always moving around, but I haven't rented much during the pandemic, so that could be changing.

I've had good experiences with both Hertz and Avis, even internationally, where the benefits supposedly stop. It's just a shame that you can't at least earn miles on most of the companies anymore. Even though CO/Chase had status benefits with Avis, you could earn Onepass miles on all major companies, but when UA went exclusive with Hertz, you couldn't even get the 500 miles with other companies. That was a shame for casual flyers, you were trying to convince to invest in United miles instead of bank or Costco options.

Doppy Nov 5, 2021 12:44 pm

I prefer Hertz's choice program 1000x over Avis' program where the agent decides what you get, even if you do get a one or two class upgrade. With Hertz you can just see what's available and pick whatever you want; the upgrade options are also very straightforward - $x / day to go into a specialty car, which can be a great value.

With Avis and the others, the agents seem to hate walking you through the options; you could be at an airport with a full lot and they'll be like "this is the only car available."

I am more interested in the specific make and model of car than whether it's considered to be an "upgrade" based on how they define the car classes.

I usually compare prices between Avis and Hertz, and will only go with Avis if there's a significant advantage. I don't see that plan changing with this partnership; Avis' elite program has ~zero benefit in my experience.

narvik Nov 5, 2021 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 33705100)
I am more interested in the specific make and model of car than whether it's considered to be an "upgrade" based on how they define the car classes..

The 7 words I dread most from a car rental company (in Summer):
"You have been upgraded to an SUV" 👎🏼

Sad to sée PC go and hope United makes AVIS a worthwhile alternative for us. But without Hertz' chose-your-car I can't see it happening.

HNLbasedFlyer Nov 5, 2021 1:39 pm

I'll miss the Hertz status - and we had aggressive corporate contracts with Hertz so I didn't deal with high rates others have..

I really wish we could get Chairman's Status with Avis - I see almost no chance of that - I've had that previously and it is a heck of a status.

Santander Nov 5, 2021 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 33705100)
With Avis and the others, the agents seem to hate walking you through the options; you could be at an airport with a full lot and they'll be like "this is the only car available."

I fully switched over from Hertz to National in 2018 (only rent from HLEs when the location is more convenient), and couldn't be happier. When I book an LCAR, they let me take basically whatever I want, and EE free days can be used on anything non-exotic.