FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2048948-3rd-promotion-year-chance-requalify-premier-status-reach-higher-level.html)

alwaysflyingLA Aug 6, 2021 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Platow (Post 33469909)
Just to be sure i get this right.

I am a non US-based 1K, realistically i do not have any chance of taking a UA flight this year given the Administration's travel ban...

Am i right in assuming the 3.000 PQPs to requalify do NOT need to be flown on UA/UAExpress? All i need is 3K PQPs and i can earn them on *A Partners?

Thanks for confirming.

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 33469817)
The way I'm reading it, if you do the fly to the finish promo using PQF + PQP, then it has to be on UA / UAX metal only.
If you do the promo using PQP only (i.e. 3,000 for 1k), then partner metal counts too?

According to UA Insider, both have to be flights on UA metal.

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33469656)
Hi Stephen, both offers are for United and United Express flights.

I hope this was wrong since whether or not has to be on UA/UX has not been defined in the T&C for Fly to the Finish.

delpiero223 Aug 6, 2021 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 33469915)
Yet another confusing bit buried deep in the T&Cs.

I read this - if you didnt have a single PQF on July 27 - you are not eligible

Actually never mind - you need to satisfy just 1500 PQP - which everyone should have as a gift.
So why bother writing this in???

Appears that you're right. Totally forgot about the 3.750 free PQP for 1K members, but I think I should qualify then. Would be a bummer if it came down to 1 missing PQF because as a European I didn't travel this year.

However, I don't even understand why they are listing PQP as well as PQP + PQF options, if the PQP amount is the same? Isn't a) included in b), so that b) doesn't make sense?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...183608ba6b.png

mathgeek1978 Aug 6, 2021 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by FunTravelerDC (Post 33469923)
While confused at first, I think I understand the promotion, however, I feel like I am getting screwed with the changes:

With my future flights prior to this, I was on track to prequalify for Gold with just needing one flight at around 100 PQP. However, with the changes made I am now losing out on 1400 PQP because one of my trips booked and ticketed through UA is completely on partner metal, I get NO benefit from those PQP to requalify.

Am I correct in seeing that they changed the goal post?

I would need to earn an entirely different 1200 PQP from the amount I already have booked and was previously going to get credit towards requalifying. I looked at the future flight on status tracking and it does not give me credit for those PQP.

You can still qualify the regular way.

legalalien Aug 6, 2021 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by FunTravelerDC (Post 33469923)
While confused at first, I think I understand the promotion, however, I feel like I am getting screwed with the changes:

With my future flights prior to this, I was on track to prequalify for Gold with just needing one flight at around 100 PQP. However, with the changes made I am now losing out on 1400 PQP because one of my trips booked and ticketed through UA is completely on partner metal, I get NO benefit from those PQP to requalify.

Am I correct in seeing that they changed the goal post?

I would need to earn an entirely different 1200 PQP from the amount I already have booked and was previously going to get credit towards requalifying. I looked at the future flight on status tracking and it does not give me credit for those PQP.

Regular qualification criteria have not changed: if you were 100 PQP away from requalifying, you can still do that using partner flights. UA/UX requirement only applies if you need to requalify using the reduced requirements of this promo.

auandagbug Aug 6, 2021 12:43 pm

Add me to the list of the confused. I'm a Gold with 4 PQF currently this year, but one of those was on an ANA codeshare flight, so I only have 3 PQF on United metal.

According to my Fly to Finish offer details, if I "Earn one PQF after spending $4,000 across my United Chase MileagePlus credit cards during the promotion period", will that satisfy the minimum 4 PQF on United metal requirement?

My offer details also says "Earn a total of 1,400 PQP only" to requalify for Gold. I already have 5,402 PQPs this year plus 3,372 Flex PQPs from my Presidential Plus card. Could I apply Flex PQPs to meet the 1,400 PQP requirement?

exerda Aug 6, 2021 12:43 pm

I have nearly $3k in future flight credits I still have to use, so I should meet the "Fly to the Finish" aspect. What's a bit odd is the 10 PQF bit is equated to only $300, given the gap is $2700 + 10 or $3k + 0. I would have expected the spread to be larger.

What's confusing is the language on the Fly to the Finish vs. the Breakout Bonus; it suggests to get the Breakout Bonus you have to have already requalified for the status you held (so 1K for me), but then the Fly to the Finish language says if you fail to meet the challenge requirements, you still get the Breakout Bonus? That seems meaningless for incumbent 1Ks who haven't requalified yet--it would mean if we don't meat the challenge, we're also ineligible for Breakout Bonus (as we haven't already requalified).

Let's say I spent $2k and fail to meet the challenge, but get the Breakout Bonus at the 1K level. That puts me literally at requalifying almost to the dollar. Or I could spend $3k and complete the challenge (let's keep it simpler than the $2.7k + 10 flights), and get what from Breakout Bonus? Or I could spend about $4k and requalify as 1K anyway, and get... an extra 2250 PQP ... why?

Platow Aug 6, 2021 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33469656)
Hi Stephen, both offers are for United and United Express flights.

So basically non-US based travellers have no chance of requalifying their 1K due to the travel ban? I mean, seriously?

bocastephen Aug 6, 2021 12:59 pm

I guess the best option here is fly UA metal via a bulk fare ticket for max distance at the lowest possible cost.

the terms should have clearly spelled out especially for the 3,000 PQP option which is still vague given so many different comments upthread.

lincolnjkc Aug 6, 2021 12:59 pm

It seems odd that I got this promo -- I've already not only requalified for 1K for next year but hit the first 20 PQP milestone (and am about a trip/trip and a half away from the 2nd PQP milestone) -- given I have 840 PQPs currently in inventory I don't really need more PQP.

I probably shouldn't be complaining but this generosity is starting to feel a bit excessive :)

(Now I just need to figure out where to take the wife for our anniversary and finally get off my butt and book that... I really want to go international but figuring out who allows what when is getting mentally exhausting)

MBS MillionMiler Aug 6, 2021 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by legalalien (Post 33469830)
So .. 1K flyers who requalify using regular criteria (i.e., those who actually flew with and spent $$$ on United this year) get just enough additional PQPs for 20 PlusPoints out of this promo. How exciting! :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post 33469944)
You can still qualify the regular way.

I too am confused, but guessing I get bupkis:

-I’m a current 1K
-One needs 15,000 PQPs to requalify, regardless of segments (beyond the 4 minimum)

-I have $13,000+ PQPs in my account already
-I have 3 revenue tickets booked for the remainder of 2021 (all before 11/30), easily pushing me over $15,000 without “help” (ticket base fares collectively exceed $2000).

May I ask how this promo would work for me? I haven’t ACTUALLY requalified yet, but am “there” with no further help necessary.

Your thoughts, UA Insider?

I hope it’s more than 20 more PPs. They’re absolutely useless to me, since I want F, I buy F. I end up giving them to one of my employees for his occasional DFW-ORD flights. I can’t use them to upgrade award tix, which is the ONLY place I’d ever see value in them. (The lack of upgrade space domestically is sickening on any flight over 2 hours from ORD). I’m stuck in this 1K rut, I pay for F, but am far from GS spend.

We can’t roll over anything to 2021 at this point?

No additional credit towards Million Mile reqirements?

While I guess it’s my own doing/fault, I’m also slightly upset that I’ve intentionally overspent during and after the last promo to plan out my $15,000 PQPs. Now they’re giving it to me and everyone else, without needing the ~$1800 extra already out of my own pocket.

I get it, glad for y’all, but feeling no love here.

leoo Aug 6, 2021 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Platow (Post 33469955)
So basically non-US based travellers have no chance of requalifying their 1K due to the travel ban? I mean, seriously?

We shouldn't be surprised, United doesn't care about non-US based travellers.
This is a convoluted garbage promo anyway.

Xyzzy Aug 6, 2021 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33469792)
Awesome. So I can have even more PlusPoints expire unused next year!

Indeed - Thanks to all the promos I've already got :eek:ver 17.5k PQP ... and I've really not done much flying compared to the Before Times. My business travel has been zero so far and what was planned has all been canceled.

nobody2 Aug 6, 2021 1:14 pm

Can United credit card PQMs earned via spend thresholds count towards the $3,000 to retain 1K?

hockey7711 Aug 6, 2021 1:14 pm

When I first read it I thought I understood it. Now I'm confused.
Why do they have to make everything so convoluted?

Artpen100 Aug 6, 2021 1:15 pm

I confess I am still not clear. I had already easily requalified for Plat this year with the promotions and a decent amount of domestic F flying. Now I was thinking it was highly unlikely I was going to go on to earn 1K this year at a 15,000 PQP threshold (I don't know how some people fly so many segments), but I guess this will make it a little more possible with a handful of more domestic F. If I took one paid J international trip for business later this year, I would hit it for sure, but the chances of that happening seem to be evaporating. And I doubt I'd go out of my way to fly extra just to earn 1K. But it just seems like they have the routes I need, and flying less, I am more willing to pay for F.