FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2048948-3rd-promotion-year-chance-requalify-premier-status-reach-higher-level.html)

UA Insider Aug 6, 2021 10:03 am

3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level

Throughout 2021, United demonstrated that we are committed to being flexible with our MileagePlus program to do the right thing for our members. Since January, members have been engaging with MileagePlus promotions to stay on track towards requalifying for Premier status, reach a higher level of Premier status, or reach Premier status for the first time – even when they weren’t flying.

At the beginning of 2021, we automatically gave all Premier members 25% of the PQP-only requirement needed to requalify for Premier status and offered double PQP on the first three PQP-eligible trips through March. With our Pick Your Path promotion, Premier members had the option of choosing Easy PQP, a PQP deposit equal to 10% of the PQP-only requirement with no strings attached, or our Welcome Back Bonus offer where we gave PQP bonuses equaling 25% of the PQP-only requirement with 3 PQP-eligible trips.

Effective August 6th until November 30, 2021, all MileagePlus members are eligible for one of two promotions:
  • Our Fly to the Finish challenge helps Premiers that haven’t yet requalified maintain their level of Premier status through January 31, 2023 by meeting even lower PQF and PQP requirements from now through November 30.
  • Our Breakout Bonus offer helps Premiers who have already requalified and members without status another opportunity to earn PQP bonuses for up to 3 trips taken before November 30th – one of them can even be an award trip!
And all members who are also cardmembers can get credit towards Premier status when they’re not flying by earning up to 2 PQF through November 30 with spend on their Chase United MileagePlus credit card.

For full details, visit www.united.com/flytothefinish

Kmxu Aug 6, 2021 10:15 am

Impressive! Even trips booked earlier qualify for the promotion. But I do not need it due to lifetime 1K status.

Edit: My colleague also received a challenge: 10 PQFs and 2700 PQP or 3000 PQP before the end of November. He is a 1K.

Ord Liza Aug 6, 2021 10:27 am

I'm confused. I have silver status through Marriott Titanium. I haven't quite met the requirements to earn silver independent of Marriott (which I wouldn't need to if I was content with silver). My goal is to get Gold. Which of the two categories applies?

Kmxu Aug 6, 2021 10:30 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33469486)

United is doing a triple play: 1) 3rd promotion, 2) challenge for existing premiers and 3) small bonus for OPM travelers discussed in this thread. 🤙🤙🤙

oopl Aug 6, 2021 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MDBechara (Post 33469343)
Looks like it's tied to a new promo launching from United here: https://promo.united.com/offers/flytothefinish

Key text when checking eligibility for the "Fly to the Finish" offer is here:

Interesting to see this new promo has a standard and personalized offer.

oopl Aug 6, 2021 10:35 am

Does the Breakout Bonus also apply to the Fly to the Finish challenge?
Oh it appears to be one or the other.

cricketer Aug 6, 2021 10:35 am

I'm confused as well. Why do members who have already qualified need a PQP bonus?

I'm a 1K, but currently have not yet hit the PQP threshold for re-qualification for 1K but I am lifetime Plat and have crossed the Plat threshold. Which promotion applies to me?

TomMM Aug 6, 2021 10:37 am

I see this in the T&Cs. What does this mean?

"An award Trip must be redeemed and flown within the Promotion Period to qualify. An award Trip must be redeemed using the eligible member’s miles and flown by the same eligible member to earn Bonus PQP for this offer. A maximum of one award Trip is eligible for PQP bonus for this offer."

UA Insider Aug 6, 2021 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu (Post 33469441)
Impressive! Even trips booked earlier qualify for the promotion. But I do not need it due to lifetime 1K status.

Edit: My colleague also received a challenge: 10 PQFs and 2700 PQP or 3000 PQP before the end of November. He is a 1K.

Thanks! We’re appreciative to have you as a lifetime 1K 😊

Originally Posted by Ord Liza (Post 33469488)
I'm confused. I have silver status through Marriott Titanium. I haven't quite met the requirements to earn silver independent of Marriott (which I wouldn't need to if I was content with silver). My goal is to get Gold. Which of the two categories applies?

If you already have guaranteed Silver status through 2022, you’ll be eligible for Breakout Bonus and can use the bonus PQP to get to a higher tier of Premier status. If you don’t have Silver status through the 2022 program year yet and you’re currently a Silver, you’ll be eligible for our Fly to the Finish challenge. If you’re not sure, you can check your email or go to www.united.com/flytothefinish to check your eligibility.

PTahCha Aug 6, 2021 10:41 am

Is the 2 bonus PQF maximum per MP account, or per credit card? (I.e., can I earn more than 2 bonus PQF if I have multiple Chase UA cards?)

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 33469506)

Based on my read, it's one or the other. The Fly to the Finish is essentially a challenge to fast track status requalification. People who are eligible for Fly to the Finish are not eligible for Breakout Bonus since they have not requalified for the current status.

*UNLESS* if the gap for requalification is within the first bonus PQP of the Breakout Bonus, then the Breakout Bonus promotion applies.

Repooc17 Aug 6, 2021 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 33469466)
Curious what people who already requalified for 1K are getting as offers

I'm flying tomorrow on an H fare as a 1K using PPs and I'm #12 on the upgrade list. I wish I could find those $100 free upgrade routes.

I can check what my offer is.

K fare roundtrip in September between NYC and LAX - $212 all-in. Open PZ spaces.

bjdj94 Aug 6, 2021 10:41 am

Right now, I'm 1 PQF and ~500 PQP short of requalifying for Silver, yet my "personalized challenge" is 4 PQF and 600 PQP or 700 PQP. How does that make any sense?

spartacusmcfly Aug 6, 2021 10:42 am

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 33469508)
I'm confused as well. Why do members who have already qualified need a PQP bonus?

For more PlusPoints and progress towards GS

I'm a 1K, but currently have not yet hit the PQP threshold for re-qualification for 1K but I am lifetime Plat and have crossed the Plat threshold. Which promotion applies to me?

You'll be treated, as someone who has not yet met the requirements of your current status, and will offered the Fly-To-The-Finish promotion -- which seems to be $3K in PQP or $2700 PQP + 10 PQF

HNLbasedFlyer Aug 6, 2021 10:42 am

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 33469514)
I see this in the T&Cs. What does this mean?

"An award Trip must be redeemed and flown within the Promotion Period to qualify. An award Trip must be redeemed using the eligible member’s miles and flown by the same eligible member to earn Bonus PQP for this offer. A maximum of one award Trip is eligible for PQP bonus for this offer."

It is straightforward - if you are going to get bonus PQP via an award flight it must be miles from your account - and you must fly the route (as opposed to a friend/family member)

Kacee Aug 6, 2021 10:45 am

Originally Posted by bjdj94 (Post 33469532)
Right now, I'm 1 PQF and ~500 PQP short of requalifying for Silver, yet my "targeted offer" is 4 PQF and 600 PQP or 700 PQP. How does that make any sense?

Similar for me - I currently need 2276 PQP to requalify and the 1K promo offer requires either 2700 or 3000. So I'll requalify organically before I hit the promo thresholds.

No sense at all.

Not that I really care.

TomMM Aug 6, 2021 10:45 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33469536)
It is straightforward - if you are going to get bonus PQP via an award flight it must be miles from your account - and you must fly the route (as opposed to a friend/family member)

Guess I wasn't aware that an award flight was eligible for bonus PQPs.

Never mind. I see it now.

Kacee Aug 6, 2021 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 33469531)
K fare roundtrip in September between NYC and LAX - $212 all-in. Open PZ spaces.

I think we're starting to see Delta affect demand. Prices have been dropping for tickets I've already bought.

HNLbasedFlyer Aug 6, 2021 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33469542)
Similar for me - I currently need 2276 PQP to requalify and the 1K promo offer requires either 2700 or 3000. So I'll requalify organically before I hit the promo thresholds.

Getting the 2276 will be far easier with the breakout bonus - a 1K gets 1,500 PQP bonus on flight #1

bbmatt Aug 6, 2021 10:52 am

Same for me in situation, my fly to the finish numbers are higher than my remaining requalification, can we opt out and just do the breakout bonus lol?

this is the most confusing promo ever, especially combined with the corporate one that's personalized, fly to the finish.
How i'm reading this: if you don't the corp fly to the finish you get the breakout bonus, and also united will count 1 award PQF out of the total flights?

Kacee Aug 6, 2021 10:52 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33469559)
Getting the 2276 will be far easier with the breakout bonus - a 1K gets 1,500 PQP bonus on flight #1

The breakout bonus only applies if you've already requalified. So it doesn't help with requalification at all, just with earning additional PlusPoints.

dmurphynj Aug 6, 2021 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33469419)
I got the same. Which would put me at either 30 PQF and 15,424 PQP or 15,724 PQP.

Obviously these are not customized based on current PQP.

Got it - sorry, I thought you meant it was telling you that you needed an *additional* 30 PQF's which is why I thought it was some kind of bug or glitch.

But otherwise, no - I think it's just a flat 10/2700 or 3000 (no pqf's) across the board for anyone who's 1500+ pqp's away from 1K. Sorry - sounds like you've got enough flown already for this to be not worth much. For me, I've got 8652 PQP's right now, so only needing 3000 more takes the edge off.

Hey, look, if they just said "Fine, we'll let you use FlexPQP's for 1K status this time" - I'd just drain the bank and use those. But no such luck ...

RobOnLI Aug 6, 2021 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Doppy (Post 33469466)
Curious what people who already requalified for 1K are getting as offers

Not sure what's to be curious about. If you're already 1K and requalified for it next year we get nothing but the "Breakout Bonus" offer. That's it. And that's all I'm eligible for.

So I'm basically getting free 2250 PQP. All that does is give me another free 20 PlusPoints which are as useless as CPU most days.

Call me utterly unimpressed because for those of us who are still out there being "road warriors" then we should be the ones reaping the perks and benefits...not seeing swollen ranks of elites.

-RM

bjdj94 Aug 6, 2021 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33469569)
The breakout bonus only applies if you've already requalified. So it doesn't help with requalification at all, just with earning additional PlusPoints.

Don’t worry, if you fly on United or United Express during the promotion period but don't meet your challenge requirements, we will still award you up to 3 PQP bonuses as mentioned in our Breakout Bonus offer.”

You can also earn the Breakout Bonus if you fail your challenge. But if you complete your challenge, you get nothing.

spartacusmcfly Aug 6, 2021 10:57 am

I think this Aug-Nov promotion can be summed up as follows for 1K requal:

1. If you spend $3K, they'll give you 1K.
2. If you only spend a few hundred dollars on three flights they'll still give you roughly 3K PQP. (your few hundred PQPs + the 2250 PQP bonus)
3. They've effectively removed the PQF burden from the program for this year!!!

#3 is key for many folks!

fatlasercat Aug 6, 2021 10:58 am

If you go to the terms and conditions there is a list of convoluted points explaining what applies when. Quick reading suggests that breakout bonus applies if you don't meet the challenge, but they'll wait until the end of the challenge period to see if you met it or not. Also, if you qualify by reaching the regular (already reduced) threshold then the breakout bonus starts applying as well.

I think the reason they had to define the rules in a so confusing way is to make sure that the breakout bonuses don't help you to meet the challenge.

JAaronT Aug 6, 2021 10:58 am

The terms of the Fly to the Finish say that you'll get the Breakout Bonus PQPs at the end of Fly to the Finish if you don't finish the Fly to the Finish qualifications within the Fly to the Finish promotional period.

Can’t meet the challenge? Don’t worry – we’ve got your back!

Premier members eligible for the Fly to the Finish challenge who don't meet the requirements will be eligible to earn trip bonuses for PQP-eligible trips on United or United Express taken within the promotional period after the challenge period is over. You’ll earn 1,500 bonus PQP on your first trip, 375 on your second and 375 on your third. For this promotion only, an award trip can count toward one of the three eligible PQP trip bonuses. Breakout Bonus terms apply.

TomMM Aug 6, 2021 10:59 am

This is what's confusing me:

Can’t meet the challenge? Don’t worry – we’ve got your back!Premier members eligible for the Fly to the Finish challenge who don't meet the requirements will be eligible to earn trip bonuses for PQP-eligible trips on United or United Express taken within the promotional period after the challenge period is over. You’ll earn 1,500 bonus PQP on your first trip, 375 on your second and 375 on your third. For this promotion only, an award trip can count toward one of the three eligible PQP trip bonuses. Breakout Bonus terms apply.

uastarflyer Aug 6, 2021 11:00 am

My promo PQP to retain 1K is a bit over half what I would need without the promo. So it’s definitely a discount. I need close to $6k normally, but due to the promo I now only need $3k

Also they confirmed the corporate deposit on the login page

Plus: Because of your company’s affiliation with United, you’ll get a head start with 400 bonus PQP deposited into your account.

FoxFlyer Aug 6, 2021 11:02 am

Excited about this... I have an upcoming trip to Europe on LX (P and D fare) which will net me close to 2700 PQPs, so I'll only need 300 more to requalify for 1K versus the additional 2000 PQPs I thought I needed by years end. Every bit counts!

oopl Aug 6, 2021 11:03 am

Yea that's the tricky part. We don't get to choose.

demkr Aug 6, 2021 11:08 am

Are the PQP earned cumultative for the whole qualification year? Or do we have to earn additional PQP during the promo period?

spartacusmcfly Aug 6, 2021 11:08 am

Interesting how they did this. There is a gamesmanship opportunity here.

1. If your promotion is $2700 in spend, you can spend $2600
2. The rules say, if you fail to hit your promotion spend, they will still give you the 2250 in PQP, for taking three flights, as a bonus.

So you walk away with 4850 PQP! :)

They probably knew this, but there likely wasn't time to fine-tune some of these minor details.

bocastephen Aug 6, 2021 11:08 am

Received the 3,000 PQP offer which is great but what is not mentioned is whether or not these must be earned on United metal or just PQPs regardless of the carrier?

Unitedloyalflyer Aug 6, 2021 11:09 am

not any help for me. I'm already set to requalify for silver via my first class trip to Hawaii in December (I have something like 2600 PQP so far). Looks like I just miss the bonus PQP as well since I fly there December 2

Or... do I fly somewhere in November as well and try and reach gold...

UA Insider Aug 6, 2021 11:10 am

If you’re currently a 1K (as of July 27, 2021) and don’t have 1K status through 2022, you’ll be eligible for a requalification challenge wherein you’ll have the opportunity to keep 1K status until January 31, 2023 if you meet the challenge requirements. You can also check at www.united.com/flytothefinish

Originally Posted by oopl (Post 33469506)
On it appears to be one or the other.

A member can’t be simultaneously eligible for both offers. If a Premier is eligible for the Fly to the Finish challenge but doesn’t meet the challenge requirements, they will receive trip-based PQP bonuses after the challenge closes – we wanted everyone to walk away with bonus PQP to help keep them on track for requalifying, even if they couldn’t hit the challenge goal by November 30th.

Originally Posted by bjdj94 (Post 33469532)
Right now, I'm 1 PQF and ~500 PQP short of requalifying for Silver, yet my "personalized challenge" is 4 PQF and 600 PQP or 700 PQP. How does that make any sense?

For Premiers who have not yet requalified, if the member has met minimum segments requirements and is only 1 trip-based Breakout Bonus away from requalifying, we placed them in the Breakout Bonus challenge. Because you are more than 1 Breakout Bonus from requalifying (>350 PQP), you’re enrolled in the Fly to the Finish challenge. Completely understand that you’re closer to the annual requirement, though, and there’s some good news for you there – per the terms of our Fly to the Finish offer, if you’re enrolled in the challenge and meet annual requirements for the status you had on July 27, 2021 before November 30th, you’ll also be eligible for trip-based PQP bonuses under our Breakout Bonus offer after the challenge closes! Since you’re closer to reaching Silver, those bonuses could help you reach Gold before the end of the year.

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33469542)

No sense at all.

Not that I really care.

Understand that you require fewer PQP to requalify than the challenge requires, so we’ve written the terms of our offer to accommodate this scenario. If you meet annual requirements before November 30th, regardless of the challenge outcome, you will receive trip-based PQP bonuses under our Breakout Bonus offer after the challenge closes. Since you’re closer to 1K this could go towards earning extra PlusPoints after hitting the 1K PQP-only requirement of 15,000 PQP.

Polytonic Aug 6, 2021 11:13 am

Meet these goals by Nov. 30, 2021, to requalify for Premier® Gold status through Jan. 2023
  • Complete 6 Premier qualifying flights (PQF) on United or United Express®
  • Earn 1,200 Premier qualifying points (PQP) on United or United Express flights
OR
  • Earn a total of 1,400 PQP only

That's mine anyway. I'd requalified for Silver, but not Gold. 6 PQF + 1200 PQP is a lot of flying tho. 3x TCON before November, when I've flown a grand total of once this year?

fatlasercat Aug 6, 2021 11:14 am

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 33469628)

2. The rules say, if you fail to hit your promotion spend, they will still give you the 2250 in PQP, for taking three flights, as a bonus.

They probably knew this, but there likely wasn't time to fine-tune some of these minor details.

One complicating factor is that they'll wait until Nov 30 to see if you met the promo spend to determine if you're eligible for the bonus PQP. They promise to give it to you by Dec 21, but I foresee problems with people not knowing how many PQP's they really have.

UA Insider Aug 6, 2021 11:14 am

Originally Posted by bjdj94 (Post 33469584)
Don’t worry, if you fly on United or United Express during the promotion period but don't meet your challenge requirements, we will still award you up to 3 PQP bonuses as mentioned in our Breakout Bonus offer.”

You can also earn the Breakout Bonus if you fail your challenge. But if you complete your challenge, you get nothing.

If you complete the challenge, you will have your status extended through January 31, 2023. If you complete the challenge AND complete the annual requirements for the status you held on July 27, 2021 before the challenge ends on November 30th, you will not only have your status extended but will also receive trip-based PQP bonuses under our Breakout Bonus offer to help you reach the next Premier level.

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 33469597)
This is what's confusing me:

Hope we can help – we realize everyone can’t make the challenge and would hate to have a situation where you engaged with our promotion and walked away with nothing. For that reason, even if you don’t meet the Fly to the Finish requalification challenge, if you took an award trip or any PQP-eligible trips before November 30th, we’ll give you trip-based PQP bonuses after the challenge closes to help you stay on track towards requalifying before the end of the year.

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33469653)
Received the 3,000 PQP offer which is great but what is not mentioned is whether or not these must be earned on United metal or just PQPs regardless of the carrier?

Hi Stephen, both offers are for United and United Express flights.

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer (Post 33469634)
not any help for me. I'm already set to requalify for silver via my first class trip to Hawaii in December (I have something like 2600 PQP so far). Looks like I just miss the bonus PQP as well since I fly there December 2

Or... do I fly somewhere in November as well and try and reach gold...

It will help you! Let’s say you’re currently a Silver and close to requalifying and are thus in our Fly to the Finish challenge. Since you’re closer to already meeting the annual requirement, per the terms of our challenge, if you meet the annual requirement before November 30th you will receive trip-based bonus PQP under our Breakout Bonus offer after the challenge closes – regardless of the outcome of the challenge! You could have your sights set on Premier Gold for 2022.

bocastephen Aug 6, 2021 11:15 am

cfischer Aug 6, 2021 11:16 am

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 33469628)

yeah, I am massively confused by that part. How and when would these 2250 PQP apply?