FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2048948-3rd-promotion-year-chance-requalify-premier-status-reach-higher-level.html)

tarheelnj Aug 6, 2021 3:48 pm

First thing I'd like to say is to UA Insider, thank you for staying so close to this thread.

I'd like to test a "base case." If you're a current 1K and haven't flown at all this year (or have flown only on mileage award tickets) and have no PQPs at all, and you have the 400 starter PQPs for your company's UA affiliation, then you can qualify with one trip on UA during the promotion period that earns 2600 PQPs?

Put another way, you find one round-trip UA flight that earns 2600 or more PQPs - and you've requalified for 1K. Is that correct?

Weyland Yutani Corp Aug 6, 2021 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 33470447)
Put another way, you find one round-trip UA flight that earns 2600 or more PQPs - and you've requalified for 1K. Is that correct?

Man...that seems cold for those of us that have been flying and continue to fly. Where's the silver lining for those of us? Zero?

IADFlyer123 Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Spoiler

Here is my "offer" - as I am currently sitting on 10902 PQP and 6 flights. (will be 11784 PQP and 10 flights in a month). So the only "Saving grace" is the 10 PQF part. I cannot reach 2700 PQP with no travel :D

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...25f4116c7a.png
My "offer"

HNLbasedFlyer Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit (Post 33470450)
Man...that seems cold for those of us that have been flying and continue to fly. Where's the silver lining for those of us? Zero?

It is only August.

Ord Liza Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33470403)
Hi ORD Liza, if you’re a Silver and have not yet requalified for Silver status for 2022, have 4 minimum segments on United required for Premier status, and only lack fewer than 350 PQP (and not more than 1 PQF if you’re closer to our PQP+PQF requirement for Silver), then you would have been in Breakout Bonus. If you lacked the 4 minimum segments on United/United Express, or were more than 350 PQP away from our PQP-only goal for Silver (3500 PQP), or were more than 350 PQP and 1 PQF away from our PQP and PQF requirement for Silver (3000 PQP and 8 PQF), then you would be in the challenge. Check your minimum segments as of July 27, 2021 – that could be why you’re still in the challenge. If you think you should still be in the challenge, give us a call and we can verify. Even if you are in the challenge, so long as you meet the annual requirement for Silver status before November 30th, you’ll still receive trip-based PQP bonuses after the challenge closes as a part of our Breakout Bonus offer.

Thanks for your prompt response. I didn't see in the T and C the requirement that the 4 segment requirement had to have been met too to get into the Breakout Bonus. I've only got 3 of 4 so far so that explains it. Thanks again for your help.

So, on July 27th I was one flight and about 250 PQP away from requalifying for silver. That puts me into the camp of those for whom it takes more to meet the requirements of Fly to the Finish (700 PQP or 4 flights and 600 PQP) than to re-qualify for current status without it. Oh well.

Collierkr Aug 6, 2021 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 33469577)
Not sure what's to be curious about. If you're already 1K and requalified for it next year we get nothing but the "Breakout Bonus" offer. That's it. And that's all I'm eligible for.

So I'm basically getting free 2250 PQP. All that does is give me another free 20 PlusPoints which are as useless as CPU most days.

Call me utterly unimpressed because for those of us who are still out there being "road warriors" then we should be the ones reaping the perks and benefits...not seeing swollen ranks of elites.

-RM

this is an incentive program not a rewards thing. It is to get more of those not flying so much to amp it up.

UA Insider Aug 6, 2021 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 33470447)
First thing I'd like to say is to UA Insider, thank you for staying so close to this thread.

I'd like to test a "base case." If you're a current 1K and haven't flown at all this year (or have flown only on mileage award tickets) and have no PQPs at all, and you have the 400 starter PQPs for your company's UA affiliation, then you can qualify with one trip on UA during the promotion period that earns 2600 PQPs?

That’s correct – you would meet the PQP-only goal for Fly to the Finish in the below scenario since there isn’t a minimum segment requirement for the challenge.

Howard Aug 6, 2021 4:11 pm

I'm a 1K 1MM, so I'm Lifetime Gold. I've met the 4-segment minimum, and I will shortly qualify for 2022 Platinum status based on the $10K PQP threshold. Without this new promotion, I would be $6K away from 1K (since 1,000 PQPs are from Chase). With this promotion, I can requalify for 1K with only $3K spend (on UA) instead of $6K spend (on UA+partners). Business travel at my company is still on hold, so any travel would be personal. UA is basically asking me to spend $3K to get 280 PlusPoints for use in 2022. Now, if PZ inventory was easier to find, that would be one thing. However, since PZ0 is what I see almost all the time, the value proposition isn't that compelling. I think I'd be better off applying the $3K towards the cost of premium cabin tickets in 2022 than to spend the $3K now to get 280 PlusPoints that most likely I won't be able to use.

jsloan Aug 6, 2021 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715 (Post 33470386)
I fear a massive flood of plus points floating around the network next year. I sure hope there isn't a devaluation of points plus next year by raising the number required to upgrade.

The majority of people who are going to qualify under this system would have qualified under the previous system if not for COVID. I don't think this is going to have any major impact on the number of PlusPoints in the system.

Weyland Yutani Corp Aug 6, 2021 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Howard (Post 33470500)
UA is basically asking me to spend $3K to get 280 PlusPoints for use in 2022. Now, if PZ inventory was easier to find, that would be one thing. However, since PZ0 is what I see almost all the time, the value proposition isn't that compelling. I think I'd be better off applying the $3K towards the cost of premium cabin tickets in 2022 than to spend the $3K now to get 280 PlusPoints that most likely I won't be able to use.

About the only time I remember (because it's been so dang long) seeing PZ-something more than zero is when I would fly to Asia pre-pandemic, and I think that same can be said for Euro flights? Many times upon booking, at least one of the outbound of return would have PZ space. But with the fact that we can't really fly there, I have no idea what the future holds, so I hear you. I have all domestic this year and I never see anything but PZ0. Japan is a mess, and low vax across Asia make me wonder if I should try to get those new +P. We've been so burned by covid that having yet another year (2022) away from normal Asia travel seems a potential reality. So is it worth it? Not sure...

UAzip Aug 6, 2021 4:23 pm

OK, stupid question. I think it is answered above but it is Friday afternoon and I am tired and not with it. Do the PQPs that need to be earned for the Fly to the Finish need to be from airfare alone? Or do others count if associated with UA metal tickets (e.g., upgrades, accelerator, etc. etc.)? I believe it is just the PQPs from the price (plus carrier fees) but I am not sure I really see it for sure in the terms/conditions. Could be there and I am just hazy.

Ord Liza Aug 6, 2021 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by UAzip (Post 33470545)
OK, stupid question. I think it is answered above but it is Friday afternoon and I am tired and not with it. Do the PQPs that need to be earned for the Fly to the Finish need to be from airfare alone? Or do others count if associated with UA metal tickets (e.g., upgrades, accelerator, etc. etc.)? I believe it is just the PQPs from the price (plus carrier fees) but I am not sure I really see it for sure in the terms/conditions. Could be there and I am just hazy.

And can the required PQPs be from credit card spend?

MBS MillionMiler Aug 6, 2021 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza (Post 33470562)
And can the required PQPs be from credit card spend?

Not for the PQP-only qualifications (at least that’s the case for non-challenge based status like this Fly To The Finish). I actually have over $15,000 PQPs already, but I’m going for spend-only, and since $2000 of them are United Visa related, they don’t count.

rbakker Aug 6, 2021 4:51 pm

I like this Promo! Thanks United. I just need 3000 PQP to continue my 1K. Fingers crossed travel from Canada via the US to Europe will be possible by November.

Repooc17 Aug 6, 2021 5:00 pm

Leave it to UA to get all cute and come up with something with more questions than answers. Amazing job!

mathgeek1978 Aug 6, 2021 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza (Post 33470461)
So, on July 27th I was one flight and about 250 PQP away from requalifying for silver. That puts me into the camp of those for whom it takes more to meet the requirements of Fly to the Finish (700 PQP or 4 flights and 600 PQP) than to re-qualify for current status without it. Oh well.

But if you qualify the regular way AND meet the requirement of the Fly to Finish Challenge, you will receive the breakout PQP's as well (based on the number of trips you take) which will help you qualify for gold.

Ord Liza Aug 6, 2021 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post 33470647)
But if you qualify the regular way AND meet the requirement of the Fly to Finish Challenge, you will receive the breakout PQP's as well (based on the number of trips you take) which will help you qualify for gold.

Presumably. However, I'd rather the certainty of the points in my account before late December when it may be too late to do anything about any glitches so I don't think I'm going to rely on that.

IMissThe747 Aug 6, 2021 5:06 pm

This is great! I'll qualify for 1K again anyways through the 15,000 PQP, but before this promo there was no way that Mrs. IMissthe747 was going to qualify for platinum again. We have a TPAC in about a month followed by a few more flights that, with this promo, will now result in some nice bonus PQP for me and her reaching platinum.

Thanks UA!

mfirst Aug 6, 2021 5:09 pm

I have tried following this quickly evolving thread - and looked at the rules, but I am a little perplexed by this:

I am already 1K - and have re-qualified for 1K for next year based upon current rules....... other than a few extra PP to the several hundred that I already have, but will not and can not use before they expire - what benefit is this for those of us who have been loyal and contributing $$$?

in other words - it will be interesting to see if UA follows AA (I think it was AA) that extended status, but gave those who earned during the year an extra "thank you"
(maybe that should be the start of a new thread?)
-m

leoo Aug 6, 2021 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715 (Post 33470386)
I fear a massive flood of plus points floating around the network next year. I sure hope there isn't a devaluation of points plus next year by raising the number required to upgrade.

Devaluation has already happened. United practically zeroed advance PZ space so we're forced to use Skip Waitlist if we want to confirm upgrades at booking.

Originally Posted by wunderpit (Post 33470450)

I feel the same way. No silver lining for us who have managed to fly despite the obstacles. I need 3,920 PQP or 2,420 PQP + 13 PQF to re-qualify.
And it's way harder to fly United when you're not a US resident/citizen like me.

Roger Lococco Aug 6, 2021 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by leoo (Post 33470663)
Devaluation has already happened. United practically zeroed advance PZ space so we're forced to use Skip Waitlist if we want to confirm upgrades at booking.

I feel the same way. No silver lining for us who have managed to fly despite the obstacles. I need 3,920 PQP or 2,420 PQP + 13 PQF to re-qualify.
And it's way harder to fly United when you're not a US resident/citizen like me.

The Plus Points are worth about $.01 per point to me. They never ever clear. I’ve never seen Skip waitlist offered. I always see the opportunity to buy up a few days out.

Infinite1K Aug 6, 2021 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33470473)
That’s correct – you would meet the PQP-only goal for Fly to the Finish in the below scenario since there isn’t a minimum segment requirement for the challenge.

But you would have to take that 2600 PQP flight between August 6th but before November 30th?

OssianBlue Aug 6, 2021 5:33 pm

Huh:

Meet these goals by Nov. 30, 2021, to requalify for Premier® Silver status through Jan. 2023
  • Complete 4 Premier qualifying flights (PQF) on United or United Express®
  • Earn 600 Premier qualifying points (PQP) on United or United Express flights
OR
  • Earn a total of 700 PQP only
Got 701 PQP booked on one of the biz sale fares on United metal for end of November. Guess I requalify.

FlyingHighlander Aug 6, 2021 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 33469811)
If flyertalkers have trouble understanding the promo than for 90% of premiers it will be impossible. I don’t understand why they don’t just make it simple. Something like fly 5 flights to keep your status or spend 3k to keep your status.

Indeed. If I had to pull out my spreadsheet and spend 90 mins working projections (most of which was interpreting the terms!), most others have no chance.

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 33470468)
this is an incentive program not a rewards thing. It is to get more of those not flying so much to amp it up.

Our employers aren't going to let us amp up travel because UA are running a promo :p

Those already travelling will reap great rewards from this... but wouldn't they have been flying anyway?

daisyatl Aug 6, 2021 6:12 pm

So confusing. And I am an attorney who reads tax statutes all day. If I have not requalified for Platinum and will not have 8 flights plus 2700 PQP or 3000 PQP then I don't get anything from either bonus? United has been generous so I am not complaining. It is just that I am already at about 6800 PQPs. If I understand correctly, the only savings for me is either $500 if I take 8 flights or $200 if I take less? That is, I still need to spend $2700 even with the promo? With international destinations closed or requiring quarantine, I don't see that happening and I don't know if it is worth it to spend $2K to get Platinum. I will soon be lifetime Gold and perhaps should just get used to it now and not go for Platinum. Sigh.

FlyingHighlander Aug 6, 2021 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by daisyatl (Post 33470807)
So confusing. And I am an attorney who reads tax statutes all day. If I have not requalified for Platinum and will not have 8 flights plus 2700 PQP or 3000 PQP then I don't get anything from either bonus? United has been generous so I am not complaining. It is just that I am already at about 6800 PQPs. If I understand correctly, the only savings for me is either $500 if I take 8 flights or $200 if I take less? That is, I still need to spend $2700 even with the promo? With international destinations closed or requiring quarantine, I don't see that happening and I don't know if it is worth it to spend $2K to get Platinum. I will soon be lifetime Gold and perhaps should just get used to it now and not go for Platinum. Sigh.

Absolutely not worth spending $2,000 to hit Plat!! Not worth spending a single dollar extra if you're already Gold.

uastarflyer Aug 6, 2021 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander (Post 33470814)
Absolutely not worth spending $2,000 to hit Plat!! Not worth spending a single dollar extra if you're already Gold.

In fact Silver—>Gold is worth more $ than Gold—>Plat

having said that I might spend $200. $2k no way.

Roger Lococco Aug 6, 2021 6:27 pm

Dumb promotion

FlyingHighlander Aug 6, 2021 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 33470833)
In fact Silver—>Gold is worth more $ than Gold—>Plat

having said that I might spend $200. $2k no way.

Of course, but OP will already be Gold, so it's a moot point in their scenario.

WineCountryUA Aug 6, 2021 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by daisyatl (Post 33470807)
.. If I have not requalified for Platinum and will not have 8 flights plus 2700 PQP or 3000 PQP ...

To requal for Platinum your need 8 PQFs+ 1,800 PQPs or 2,000 PQPs only

bocastephen Aug 6, 2021 6:33 pm

I guess it's a little frustrating not getting an answer to our question upthread about the carrier restrictions for the Fly to the Finish PQP-only option - is it really that difficult to clarify?

Roger Lococco Aug 6, 2021 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33470846)
I guess it's a little frustrating not getting an answer to our question upthread about the carrier restrictions for the Fly to the Finish PQP-only option - is it really that difficult to clarify?

As long as it’s a United ticket, the flights would count. At least that’s the way it has always worked for the PQPs and PQDs right?

cfischer Aug 6, 2021 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco (Post 33470853)
As long as it’s a United ticket, the flights would count. At least that’s the way it has always worked for the PQPs and PQDs right?

sounds like UA and UAX metal only. What a mess.

bocastephen Aug 6, 2021 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco (Post 33470853)

No, it is not clear at all what counts for earning - I hope you're aware that you can earn PQPs flying *A partner airlines.

boat stuck Aug 6, 2021 6:43 pm

Huh, nice. I think I would have re-qualified anyways with holiday travel, but this promo lets me re-qualify with flights I've already booked. And I should be MM by the end of next year, which means never worrying about status again. Hallelujah.

bocastephen Aug 6, 2021 6:44 pm

I just heard back from a contact at UA that our current TA promotion fares will ticket as 'bulk' - but they are not completely certain. If this turns out to be correct, it will be a help to a lot of folks here trying to earn PQPs. I will make a test booking to see how it issues and confirm it's truly a bulk ticket and will report back, as well as email them back to check again.

daisyatl Aug 6, 2021 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 33470845)
To requal for Platinum your need 8 PQFs+ 1,800 PQPs or 2,000 PQPs only

I guess I was misreading. Thanks. I am still somewhat in the same scenario. I will have to spend over $1K. It would not be an issue normally because most of my travel is international but Covid... Maybe my typical destinations will open up by November but I doubt it.

PrivatePilot Aug 6, 2021 8:02 pm

Meet these goals by Nov. 30, 2021, to requalify for Premier® 1K status through Jan. 2023 and earn +280 PlusPoints
  • Complete 10 Premier qualifying flights (PQF) on United or United Express®
  • Earn 2,700 Premier qualifying points (PQP) on United or United Express flights
OR
  • Earn a total of 3,000 PQP only

The "Earn a total of 3,000 PQP only" - Does this mean I can spend $72k on my Chase Quest card and re-qualify for 1k without flying at all? Does the $72k have to be spend within the promotion period or do the PQPs have to post during the promotion period?

fumje Aug 6, 2021 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by djmp (Post 33470256)
Is there any indication that getting PQP bonuses counts for GS? I’ve already hit 1K for next year and don’t use PlusPoints so all this promo does for me is to swell the ranks of 1K competing for limited benefits.

No, they track raw spend separately. So almost certainly the EOY PQP total doesn't mean anything for GS.

uastarflyer Aug 6, 2021 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot (Post 33470985)
Meet these goals by Nov. 30, 2021, to requalify for Premier® 1K status through Jan. 2023 and earn +280 PlusPoints
  • Complete 10 Premier qualifying flights (PQF) on United or United Express®
  • Earn 2,700 Premier qualifying points (PQP) on United or United Express flights
OR
  • Earn a total of 3,000 PQP only

The "Earn a total of 3,000 PQP only" - Does this mean I can spend $72k on my Chase Quest card and re-qualify for 1k without flying at all?

No, this $3k needs to be spending on UA/UX operated tickets.