FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2048948-3rd-promotion-year-chance-requalify-premier-status-reach-higher-level.html)

fivesixseven Aug 6, 2021 11:37 am

I'd love to take part in the challenge! But how if the US is not open for people from Schengen and no projection on when it will be possible again...?!

alwaysflyingLA Aug 6, 2021 11:37 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33469729)
Hi alwaysflyingLA – one of the two offers is available to all MileagePlus members and they are for United or United Express flights.

Sorry about the confusing - it would be very hard, if not impossible, for many foreign members to take advantage of this offer since many borders are still closed (e.g. NZ, AUS, CHN, even Schengen area right now etc.)

malgudi Aug 6, 2021 11:37 am

Impressive. With the 400 PQP corporate head start, easier for me to make 2600, rather than 10 flights + 2300.

Alternatively, make slightly less than qualifying (say 2500) and get the consolation (2250) for a total of 4750. Will this total then count towards the qualifying goal (2600 PQP)?

Can UA Insider confirm?

kevflyer Aug 6, 2021 11:39 am

Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA (Post 33469742)
Yes, the corporate starter counts in this promo.
Earlier activities do not count: The “Promotion Period” is August 6, 2021 – November 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM local time.

Thank you. Missed the promotion period in T&C

alwaysflyingLA Aug 6, 2021 11:40 am

Originally Posted by TomMM (Post 33469753)
So if I fly ORD-FRA(UA) FRA-NBO(LH) on a UA ticket how will the PQP be calculated?

Originally Posted by fivesixseven (Post 33469755)
I'd love to take part in the challenge! But how if the US is not open for people from Schengen and no projection on when it will be possible again...?!

Exactly. And the terms and conditions didn't even mention this requirement.

Also no ideas if PQP from partner flights on UA stock would count or not. If they stick with their current wording (XXX Premier qualifying points (PQP) on United or United Express flights), I would say no.

VRFast Aug 6, 2021 11:42 am

Sorry I'm slow, and this may have been spoken about earlier, but just wanted to verify.
I requalified for Silver before July 27th (Break out bonus), after my trip next month with the bonus 350 PQPs I will be about 1900 PQPs short of Gold (without the PQFs). If I only do that one trip between now and November will I only get the 350 bonus PQPs or will there be an additional bonus similar to the fly to finish?

Kacee Aug 6, 2021 11:45 am

Not relevant for me, but this promo is more generous than AA's latest, since it grants PlusPoints if you meet it. With AA's, you don't get SWU, just status maintenance.

But what I would like to see is UA restore value to the MileagePlus program and to 1K status in particular.

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33469644)
Understand that you require fewer PQP to requalify than the challenge requires, so we’ve written the terms of our offer to accommodate this scenario. If you meet annual requirements before November 30th, regardless of the challenge outcome, you will receive trip-based PQP bonuses under our Breakout Bonus offer after the challenge closes. Since you’re closer to 1K this could go towards earning extra PlusPoints after hitting the 1K PQP-only requirement of 15,000 PQP.

Awesome. So I can have even more PlusPoints expire unused next year!

cricketer Aug 6, 2021 11:45 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33469638)
If you’re currently a 1K (as of July 27, 2021) and don’t have 1K status through 2022, you’ll be eligible for a requalification challenge wherein you’ll have the opportunity to keep 1K status until January 31, 2023 if you meet the challenge requirements. You can also check at www.united.com/flytothefinish

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly (Post 33469535)
For more PlusPoints and progress towards GS

You'll be treated, as someone who has not yet met the requirements of your current status, and will offered the Fly-To-The-Finish promotion -- which seems to be $3K in PQP or $2700 PQP + 10 PQF

So I had a look at everything. I'm a shade over 1,500 PQP away from qualifying anyway. I have that much booked, so I'm going to qualify on my own for 1K.

My offer is to earn 2700 PQP to retain 1K, which is clearly silly under the circumstances.

It seems to me that if I earn 2700 PQP the hard way, I will get 1K and be at 16,200 PQP total.

If I earn less than 2700 PQP, I will get 1K, and get a bonus 3,000 PQP. Which will get me to about 18,500 PQP.

(all this assuming no further bookings for the year which I currently have no line of sight into).

Interestingly, this leaves me clearly incentivized to NOT book on United, because I will *lose* PQP by booking flights.

UPDATED: Sorry - I had written this before reading all the posts. My bad. Looks like I will actually qualify and get the 3,000 PQP as I qualify on my own. All makes sense now!

united 1k flyer Aug 6, 2021 11:54 am

If flyertalkers have trouble understanding the promo than for 90% of premiers it will be impossible. I don’t understand why they don’t just make it simple. Something like fly 5 flights to keep your status or spend 3k to keep your status.

kevflyer Aug 6, 2021 11:56 am

Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA (Post 33469770)
Exactly. And the terms and conditions didn't even mention this requirement.

Also no ideas if PQP from partner flights on UA stock would count or not. If they stick with their current wording (XXX Premier qualifying points (PQP) on United or United Express flights), I would say no.

The way I'm reading it, if you do the fly to the finish promo using PQF + PQP, then it has to be on UA / UAX metal only.
If you do the promo using PQP only (i.e. 3,000 for 1k), then partner metal counts too?

spartacusmcfly Aug 6, 2021 11:57 am

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer (Post 33469811)
I don’t understand why they don’t just make it simple...spend 3k to keep your status.

That's exactly what this promotion is for 1K requal. It's actually quite simple.

Kacee Aug 6, 2021 11:58 am

If flyertalkers have trouble understanding the promo than for 90% of premiers it will be impossible. I don’t understand why they don’t just make it simple. Something like fly 5 flights to keep your status or spend 3k to keep your status.

99.9%.

This one takes the cake on confusing T&C. Some of the answers given here are not even stated in the T&C (such as qualifying for Breakout if you requalify and meet FtF).

rankourabu Aug 6, 2021 11:59 am

If I am reading this, I understand 3000 PQP total - not 3000 PQP on United flights..... It would be nice if they honoured the offer they sent out instead of having to find out via unofficial channels that the T&Cs are wrong.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...55e651d97a.jpg

uastarflyer Aug 6, 2021 11:59 am

Originally Posted by alwaysflyingLA (Post 33469742)
Yes, the corporate starter counts in this promo.
Earlier activities do not count: The “Promotion Period” is August 6, 2021 – November 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM local time.

However, the Corporate Starter posted August 5. Unless Insider confirmed this is okay?

runningshoes Aug 6, 2021 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 33469679)
why is that requirement not specifically written in the terms and conditions?

It's written in the T&C's / FAQ's - link at bottom of promo page overview