FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3rd promotion of year is chance to requalify for Premier status, reach higher level (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2048948-3rd-promotion-year-chance-requalify-premier-status-reach-higher-level.html)

alwaysflyingLA Aug 6, 2021 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by yyzprincess (Post 33470340)
Hi UA Inside, RE: Fly to the Finish For 1K status : Option # 2 "Earn Total of 3000 PQP".
As other posters have pointed out the promotional terms and conditions and FAQ, does not state the Fly to the Finish promotion's Option # 2 3,000PQP option requires any United or United Express flights.
With borders closed &other restrictions; International based UA MPs cannot fly United flights currently or most not likely by end of 2021.

Originally Posted by leoo (Post 33470016)
We shouldn't be surprised, United doesn't care about non-US based travellers.
This is a convoluted garbage promo anyway.

Originally Posted by Platow (Post 33469955)
So basically non-US based travellers have no chance of requalifying their 1K due to the travel ban? I mean, seriously?

From another thread and MatthewLAX- so there is still hope for (some) non-US members?

Originally Posted by delpiero223 (Post 33469958)
According to Live and let's Fly there might be another "promo" (extension?) for international customers:
https://liveandletsfly.com/united-ai...tus-promotion/

The promotion cements United’s decision not to award another year of status extension in the USA, though Vice President of Loyalty Luc Bondar told me that there may be promotions for non-US addresses, particularly in East Asia and Australia, depending upon how travel bans progress in the weeks ahead.

cricketer Aug 6, 2021 3:24 pm

So with all the promotions this year, what's the minimum someone would have had to fly and spend out of pocket to requalify for 1K?

jimdarcy Aug 6, 2021 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 33470313)
Yes, in the fly to the finish T&C:

thanks! So 2600 it is for current 1k’s that have yet to requalify for 1k by 7/27

dkc715 Aug 6, 2021 3:26 pm

I find it ironic that United came up with such a crazy promotion with hard to interpret T&C, considering they justified the switch away from mileage based status achievement because it was too complicated. Remember this?
https://mileageplusupdates.com/[email protected]
Sometimes simplicity is good, even if there are some unintended rewards. I get that they wanted to incentivize travel, but this is convoluted.

I fear a massive flood of plus points floating around the network next year. I sure hope there isn't a devaluation of points plus next year by raising the number required to upgrade.

Kacee Aug 6, 2021 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by cricketer (Post 33470382)
So with all the promotions this year, what's the minimum someone would have had to fly and spend out of pocket to requalify for 1K?

With this promo, one could requalify for 1K with only 3000 PQP between now and November 30.

Originally Posted by dkc715 (Post 33470386)
I find it ironic that United came up with such a crazy promotion with hard to interpret T&C, considering they justified the switch away from mileage based status achievement because it was too complicated.

Just marketing. No one actually believed that.

UA Insider Aug 6, 2021 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ord Liza (Post 33470159)
I'm still confused, and getting a little frustrated by how much time it takes to try to parse the terms of this promo. I'd like to use the Breakout Bonus promo instead of the Fly to the Finish promo. I think I am entitled to the Breakout Bonus because as of July 27, 2021, I held silver status and needed fewer than 350 PQP to re-qualify for silver. This makes me eligible according to Paragraph 3(a) of the T and C of the Breakout Bonus promo. However, I have been assigned the Fly to the Finish promo according to an email I received. Is there anyone to contact for help with this?

Hi ORD Liza, if you’re a Silver and have not yet requalified for Silver status for 2022, have 4 minimum segments on United required for Premier status, and only lack fewer than 350 PQP (and not more than 1 PQF if you’re closer to our PQP+PQF requirement for Silver), then you would have been in Breakout Bonus. If you lacked the 4 minimum segments on United/United Express, or were more than 350 PQP away from our PQP-only goal for Silver (3500 PQP), or were more than 350 PQP and 1 PQF away from our PQP and PQF requirement for Silver (3000 PQP and 8 PQF), then you would be in the challenge. Check your minimum segments as of July 27, 2021 – that could be why you’re still in the challenge. If you think you should still be in the challenge, give us a call and we can verify. Even if you are in the challenge, so long as you meet the annual requirement for Silver status before November 30th, you’ll still receive trip-based PQP bonuses after the challenge closes as a part of our Breakout Bonus offer.

kevflyer Aug 6, 2021 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by jimdarcy (Post 33470383)
thanks! So 2600 it is for current 1k’s that have yet to requalify for 1k by 7/27

Yes or 2300 PQP if you have 10PQF. There are people questioning whether the PQP-only option requires only UA/UX metal as the T&C is unclear about that.

porciuscato Aug 6, 2021 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111 (Post 33470157)
If this is the only promotion for status for the rest of the year, we should see a lot of 1ks leaving the ranks which should be nice for upgrades hopefully.

One of my sons who rarely qualifies for Gold will make 1K this year; another who rarely makes Silver will make Platinum. Umm, that was before this latest promotion. Two other family members will make Gold for the first time ever. I know that's just anecdata, but the reality is an F trip to Hawaii and a few other short flights at judicious points this year would get you 1K.

Weyland Yutani Corp Aug 6, 2021 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33469557)
I think we're starting to see Delta affect demand. Prices have been dropping for tickets I've already bought.

Agree. Just did a one day later HNL change in Sept (same exact time/route, practically same fullness) which resulted in a $179 FFC. Thanks!

kevflyer Aug 6, 2021 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33470403)
Even if you are in the challenge, so long as you meet the annual requirement for Silver status before November 30th, you’ll still receive trip-based PQP bonuses after the challenge closes as a part of our Breakout Bonus offer.

Does this mean eligible 1Ks who complete the fly to the finish challenge by Nov 30 will also get the full breakout bonuses (as long as they took at least 3 trips as defined in the brekaout bonus t&c)?
If so, what is the benefit? To earn more PlusPoints?

tarheelnj Aug 6, 2021 3:48 pm

First thing I'd like to say is to UA Insider, thank you for staying so close to this thread.

I'd like to test a "base case." If you're a current 1K and haven't flown at all this year (or have flown only on mileage award tickets) and have no PQPs at all, and you have the 400 starter PQPs for your company's UA affiliation, then you can qualify with one trip on UA during the promotion period that earns 2600 PQPs?

Put another way, you find one round-trip UA flight that earns 2600 or more PQPs - and you've requalified for 1K. Is that correct?

Weyland Yutani Corp Aug 6, 2021 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 33470447)
Put another way, you find one round-trip UA flight that earns 2600 or more PQPs - and you've requalified for 1K. Is that correct?

Man...that seems cold for those of us that have been flying and continue to fly. Where's the silver lining for those of us? Zero?

IADFlyer123 Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Spoiler

Here is my "offer" - as I am currently sitting on 10902 PQP and 6 flights. (will be 11784 PQP and 10 flights in a month). So the only "Saving grace" is the 10 PQF part. I cannot reach 2700 PQP with no travel :D

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...25f4116c7a.png
My "offer"

HNLbasedFlyer Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit (Post 33470450)
Man...that seems cold for those of us that have been flying and continue to fly. Where's the silver lining for those of us? Zero?

It is only August.

Ord Liza Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 33470403)
Hi ORD Liza, if you’re a Silver and have not yet requalified for Silver status for 2022, have 4 minimum segments on United required for Premier status, and only lack fewer than 350 PQP (and not more than 1 PQF if you’re closer to our PQP+PQF requirement for Silver), then you would have been in Breakout Bonus. If you lacked the 4 minimum segments on United/United Express, or were more than 350 PQP away from our PQP-only goal for Silver (3500 PQP), or were more than 350 PQP and 1 PQF away from our PQP and PQF requirement for Silver (3000 PQP and 8 PQF), then you would be in the challenge. Check your minimum segments as of July 27, 2021 – that could be why you’re still in the challenge. If you think you should still be in the challenge, give us a call and we can verify. Even if you are in the challenge, so long as you meet the annual requirement for Silver status before November 30th, you’ll still receive trip-based PQP bonuses after the challenge closes as a part of our Breakout Bonus offer.

Thanks for your prompt response. I didn't see in the T and C the requirement that the 4 segment requirement had to have been met too to get into the Breakout Bonus. I've only got 3 of 4 so far so that explains it. Thanks again for your help.

So, on July 27th I was one flight and about 250 PQP away from requalifying for silver. That puts me into the camp of those for whom it takes more to meet the requirements of Fly to the Finish (700 PQP or 4 flights and 600 PQP) than to re-qualify for current status without it. Oh well.