Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#changefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
So it's Sep 30 (in the most timezones) and
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html
still shows Sep 30 as the end of feelessness for internationally originating tickets.
And it has just been extended to Dec 31.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
And it has just been extended to Dec 31.
Gonish to 31 Dec 21:

David
Old Oct 2, 2021, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or will they not immediately update the fare conditions? I am assuming the lack of change fee is baked into each fare so they'd have to update one by one. Or can they automatically change all overnight?
When they first removed change fees, it took about two days for the fares to reflect it. However, that was not a planned event. Whenever change fees are reinstated, UA will publish new fares with a future effectivity date; they'll take effect automatically. There won't be any lag.

(FYI: Even if they did have to update each one individually, most UA fares use common fare templates. They can update the template and then it's straightforward to update a lot of fares quickly thereafter).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:04 pm

Would like to make sure I got all this right. Everything was booked through the UA website.

Originally I had 5 roundtrip tickets from DEN to OGG for Thanksgiving 2020. We decided to cancel in April 2020 since it included my 75 year old mom. UA gave me the full fare for all 5 tickets as one giant ETC. In February of 2021 I used the full value of the ETC plus some additional funds to book 4 roundtrip tickets from DEN to FRA for Christmas 2021 (class B and R if that is relevant at all). Since it was an ETC I had to book on UA only flights.

Now for personal reasons that trip may not happen.

Based on my understanding if I cancel all tickets:

- I will get 4 FFC in the full amount of what I paid UA tied to each current ticket holder
- I can use the FFC for booking flights that have to commence before 12/31/22
- I can use the FFC for UA or partner airline flights
- There will be no cancelation, change fee, or other penalty beyond fare differences

Is this correct? I was hoping to get 5 tickets to OGG again for 2022, but it looks like that won't be possible since they are tied to the ticket holders. Since the tickets were originally booked with an ETC, will the ETC portion of each FFC only be available for UA only flights or can I book the full FFC on any partner airline (i.e. the conversion to FFC ignores that some of it was an ETC previously)? If I want to travel in 2023 and there are no cancelation or change fees can I just book a late 2022 ticket and then cancel that to convert it into FFC to be used in 2023 (that seems a bit too easy, so I am guessing there is some mechanism to prevent that)?

Thank you
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Alright, looking to change/refund experts to see if anyone might know if my situation will be consistent with that the website told me (I think this is a relevant thread...mods, feel free to move if there is a better one).

In my zeal to book some flights with little inventory left and not 100% sure of specific times we wanted to leave, last night, I booked an intra-California flight, total for 2 people was ~$236, and used a combo of canceled flight FFC ($118), residual FFCs (2 totaling $90), and the balance on a credit card ($~28) - amazingly, the website processed this without a hitch. This morning, about 9 hours after original booking, changed the flight to a day later as we realized this would work better, resulting in a lower fare by $104 for the two of us. I assumed this would go into an FFC, but payment screen and emailed receipt both confirmed that the $104 refund would go back to my credit card (for the record, there was no options - it just said it would be refunded to my card # XXXX).

Anyone have any experience with this kind of refund, and know if it will actually result in the full amount back to the card. As explained above, the out of pocket on my card was ~$28, so seems strange [to me] that UA would refund the full amount owing back to my card when most of that came from a different payment method.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver
Getting credit when price drops

It seems United really doesn't want you to get the fare difference as future credit when the price drops. What I tried:

- Changing the reservation to the same flight. Didn't work - the original flight didn't show as an option when making changes
- Cancelling the reservation, and use the FFC to book the same flight. Didn't work - the original flight did show up but the price was the same as before
- Called and asked to reprice. Didn't work - was told there's a $50 fee to reprice.
- Changing the reservation to a different flight (with exactly the same price so I don't need to mess with additional payments or credits), then changing back. This finally worked.

I wish United could just show some basic decency by adding a nice and simple 1-click button to get the credit when the price drops. Doesn't sound hard to implement at all, but I wouldn't be holding my breath
Guate87 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by blug
- Changing the reservation to a different flight (with exactly the same price so I don't need to mess with additional payments or credits), then changing back. This finally worked.
Congratulations! I have done the same.

Last night I changed my December return flight HNL-IAH from the 29th to the 30th and was credited $227.68.

UA, I believe, was the last US carrier to give refunds for cheaper fares. AS and AA were on board long before.

I have 42 upcoming UA flights booked for the next 90 days, so it takes a lot of work on my part to see if each fare has dropped then take the steps to get the credits.
blug likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guate87
Congratulations! I have done the same.

Last night I changed my December return flight HNL-IAH from the 29th to the 30th and was credited $227.68.

UA, I believe, was the last US carrier to give refunds for cheaper fares. AS and AA were on board long before.

I have 42 upcoming UA flights booked for the next 90 days, so it takes a lot of work on my part to see if each fare has dropped then take the steps to get the credits.
this is what I’ve had to do as well. Bit of a PITA, but once you realize and have done it once, it’s easy to do this as needed.

have done this a handful of times, and even a couple on the same flights. It’s clear UA doesn’t want you to take advantage of this - at least not easily. It still can be done (though theoretically possible for the fare to change between the change 1 and change 2).

UA was the last to give the residuals back, but also first to drop the change fee. Back in the day though, UA was pretty low key, allowing both a hold without payment until midnight next day (almost 48 hours if you booked at the right time) and also allowing cancelation within 24 hours of confirming. They also at one point in the pre-merger days had a link you could click to check the current price of the existing itinerary you had booked - I don’t think you could request a cert for the difference online (I can’t recall), but you could get one if you called in for no cost. This was all in pre-price alert days - Yapta was pretty much the first mainstream tool that did that and gave you instant notification - and that pretty much killed the carrrier policies allowing you to get price drops. But with no change fees, possible to get this again, even if UA is trying to discourage it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
In my zeal to book some flights with little inventory left and not 100% sure of specific times we wanted to leave, last night, I booked an intra-California flight, total for 2 people was ~$236, and used a combo of canceled flight FFC ($118), residual FFCs (2 totaling $90), and the balance on a credit card ($~28) - amazingly, the website processed this without a hitch. This morning, about 9 hours after original booking, changed the flight to a day later as we realized this would work better, resulting in a lower fare by $104 for the two of us. I assumed this would go into an FFC, but payment screen and emailed receipt both confirmed that the $104 refund would go back to my credit card (for the record, there was no options - it just said it would be refunded to my card # XXXX).
For anyone who may want to know what happened for future, well, as I thought, it didn't all go back to my card. Long story short, from this itinerary, my ticket was covered by the canceled flight FFCs, and daughter's used $90 of residual FFC and $28.xx card payment. When I made the change, it claimed $104 refund ($52 for each ticket would be refunded to the card). This was done Friday morning.

Yesterday, a refund for $52 - one of the tickets, showed up on my Amex, supporting my daugher's ticket (which was partially paid by card) - to be honest, I'm even surprised the whole amount was refunded, since it was actually more than the cash I paid for the ticket. The other one did not. Wanted to give it an extra day or so, and last night, called to ask. Agent looked at it, put me on hold for a while to sort it out (I assume she called refunds), then came back and 'confirmed' the other would go back on my card. I asked if its ever the case where one ticket would take longer than another from the same reservation, and she said it probably takes more to process given it was the other ticket was fully paid by FFC. So I told her I'd give it a few more days and call in next week if I didn't see anything back by then.

Low and behold, this afternoon, I got an email with an ETC for $52 from United Refunds. I can't be 100% sure the call did something to move this through, or timing was a coincidence, but its taken care of. I do kind of wish this was an FFC, as I don't believe there's a way to combine this with other FFCs I have, but in the end, it doesn't really matter since I will have no problem using it.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:00 pm

Here is the original multi city booking I made for $1460
SFO-FRA-MAD Nov 22 Premium Plus R
DEL-SFO Feb 7 Economy V

After a few hours of making the booking, using change my booking, I was able to select almost any SFO-MAD itinerary in P class for free. I selected SFO-EWR-MAD as this itinerary has the shortest duration and gets me to Madrid at 9 am vs 3.30 pm if I was connecting in FRA.

The best part, at the checkout page, I got a $62 future flight credit for upgrading to business!
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
First post on the UAMP forum and only once in a while UA flyer ... So excuse my possibly trivial question:
Here is my booking:
SFO-ORD-ATL United Domestic First/booking classes C+C
ATL-DEN-SFO United Domestic First/booking classes D+D

I would like to change my inbound flights (one day earlier). Flight availability of new inbound: J6C5D3Z1P0, i.e. should be fine.
Outbound flight has J0C0D0Z0P0. But I don't care, as I do not want to rebook the outbound flight.
But, when I try to change my booking online, the outbound flight is downgraded to Economy (V+W) and I am quoted a ~320$ refund. Luckily, I realized and canceled the rebooking. I am surprised and confused that I cannot keep my outbound flights in First. Is this expected? Does it help to call United reservations?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viennafly
First post on the UAMP forum and only once in a while UA flyer ... So excuse my possibly trivial question:
Here is my booking:

I would like to change my inbound flights (one day earlier). Flight availability of new inbound: J6C5D3Z1P0, i.e. should be fine.
Outbound flight has J0C0D0Z0P0. But I don't care, as I do not want to rebook the outbound flight.
But, when I try to change my booking online, the outbound flight is downgraded to Economy (V+W) and I am quoted a ~320$ refund. Luckily, I realized and canceled the rebooking. I am surprised and confused that I cannot keep my outbound flights in First. Is this expected? Does it help to call United reservations?
In a way, yes, it's expected, as the online change tool often does the wrong thing. Sometimes it works, but often it does not. You likely will need to call and get an agent to make the change, given that it's doing what you describe.

Note that unless this is being done as same-day change (appears not), you will incur a fare difference between what you booked for SFO-ATL and whatever fare is available now, which could mean paying more or could mean getting a credit back. The inventory does not dictate the fare offered.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Viennafly
Here is my booking:

assuming this is all on one roundtrip itinerary, it doesn’t matter if you don’t want to ‘rebook’ the outbound’ - any change, even to the return only, is going to cause the whole thing to be rebooked (and re-priced accordingly). There is no way to change the return while keeping the outbound in check.

Essentially, with J full, you are holding the space you need for the outbound, and it won’t be available until after you complete the change. Very likely to reappear after you give up the space, though there is an unlikely chance it won’t (in the rare case of overselling premium cabin, and the more likely but still relatively low’ish chance they want to block the space due to oversold Y cabin).

While you can make the change to economy, then change again to the J availability that is likely to open up, that’s no guarantee. This may be better to call to see if an agent can look at the details and may be able to do this for you a bit more easily
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Had a Thanksgiving weekend trip drop by over $200pp. As everyone is aware you can't just select the same flight to get the lower fare class. I did though figure out something to avoid generating multiple FFCs, you can use Advanced Search to search with your original fare class then change to a different flight for a $0 cost/credit, then you can change again back to your original flight and create just one FFC.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by N104UA
Had a Thanksgiving weekend trip drop by over $200pp. As everyone is aware you can't just select the same flight to get the lower fare class. I did though figure out something to avoid generating multiple FFCs, you can use Advanced Search to search with your original fare class then change to a different flight for a $0 cost/credit, then you can change again back to your original flight and create just one FFC.
This is awesome. Thanks for posting!

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.