Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#changefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I tried as a cancel and then rebook online - while it issued the credit as an [traditional] FFC, it would not let me select the same flights, even when it showed just the fare and no flights attached to the record. The only way I could do it online is to change to different flights, then change back.
Huh. It worked for me yesterday to cancel a ticket, and immediately used the FFC to rebook the same exact flights at the lower price and got a new $80 FFC for the difference. It was seamless and quick, so at least it is possible but it seems that with everything in this day and age YMMV.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
you can do one with a lower/higher price, you’d just have to level up (either end up paying more now/getting a higher credit to use later, or getting a credit to use and then having to potentially pay out of pocket a bit for the final change (Not 100% sure if you can use the new FFCs as payment on a chnage - maybe someone else can comment as I don’t have experience) - just seems easier to not deal with that if possible, even if changing to another day temporarily.

as for what the online change screen should show noting the credit, I just completed a change. Please excuse the sloppy markup on pi, but this is what my screen showed (note I was actually changing to a new flight, not going for a lower price on the same flight):

the markup at the bottom normally shows the pax name and how much credit each pax gets, which should always be the same.
I ended up changing to a different flight and then back to my original flight. Generated 2 separate FFC residuals. It seems they will be combinable when it is time to make a new booking. Thanks!
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Note that neither a visa denial nor a government border closure is sufficient grounds to receive a refund of a non-refundable ticket.
Interestingly, there used to be a "Full refund permitted before departure in case of visa rejection. Embassy statement required." provision in UA non-ref TATL fares with a non-US origin, but that seems to have been scrapped. Not sure when that happened.

LH fares, OTOH, still seem to offer that option.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
Interestingly, there used to be a "Full refund permitted before departure in case of visa rejection. Embassy statement required." provision in UA non-ref TATL fares with a non-US origin, but that seems to have been scrapped. Not sure when that happened.

Haven’t checked recently, but when I was an expat in India, definitely recall similar language, even on L fares ex-India. This was probably about 7 years ago (the last time I checked, anyway), so have no idea about currently. Interestingly, those L fares also had a change fee that, IIRC, was around $90 vs. the typical $200 that was normal at the time. YMMV, I guess.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla

Haven’t checked recently, but when I was an expat in India, definitely recall similar language, even on L fares ex-India. This was probably about 7 years ago (the last time I checked, anyway), so have no idea about currently. Interestingly, those L fares also had a change fee that, IIRC, was around $90 vs. the typical $200 that was normal at the time. YMMV, I guess.
Change fees are based upon the market -- if the competition is charging $90, so will UA.

I've seen the "refund for visa denial" on various UA fares in the past, including fares to India, but I haven't seen it recently. This sounds like a good reason to consider ticketing on LH vs. UA if you're applying for a visa and would want a refund (vs. travel credit) if it were denied. (UA might give a refund anyway -- it wouldn't surprise me in the least -- but it'd be at the agent's discretion).
Old Aug 9, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
simple question

Although I flew many years on United I have not done refares so often.
Now I have following situation: booked a LAX LAS flight in T/P fares. I see the price is like 140 USD lower now for an T/K ticket. Of course if I cancel I will get a travel voucher.
Is there any way to get a refund and buy the cheaper ticket? Let´s say but up to refundable fare on both segments and refund than the ticket? Would that be possible?

Thank you for your advice.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Although I flew many years on United I have not done refares so often.
Now I have following situation: booked a LAX LAS flight in T/P fares. I see the price is like 140 USD lower now for an T/K ticket. Of course if I cancel I will get a travel voucher.
Is there any way to get a refund and buy the cheaper ticket? Let´s say but up to refundable fare on both segments and refund than the ticket? Would that be possible?

Thank you for your advice.
You can cancel and rebook. You’ll get residual credit at rebooking - it’s good for a year for any UA or partner flight for the original passenger(s). You won’t be able to refund…the airlines are smarter then you…any non-refundable amount always remains non-refundable, even if changed to a refundable ticket.

note that last time I tried this, it wouldn’t let me rebook the same flight - I had to rebook a different time, then rebook again to the original flight. Someone else said directly rebooking the same flight worked for them. YMMV.

Also note, you said your current booking is in P class for the return, and new return is K. P is domestic F and K is discount economy.
SPN Lifer and flymexico2010 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 6:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.......Is there any way to get a refund and buy the cheaper ticket? ..
For a voluntary change, only i the original fare was refundable
.......Let´s say but up to refundable fare on both segments and refund than the ticket? Would that be possible? ....
No, once non-refundable that portion stays non-refundable unless UA creates a refundable schedule change / cancellation.
Making a flight credit refundable?
flymexico2010 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm reading this correctly? The change fee waiver for International flights ends next month on Sep 30.
Glad I caught this!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
I'm reading this correctly? The change fee waiver for International flights ends next month on Sep 30.
Glad I caught this!
The change fee waiver for international flights not originating from USA / Mexico / Caribbean is expiring at the end of September for newly issued / booked flights (flights booked after the expiration). Note UA has extended this waiver 3 times previously.
chavala likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
I've tried reading thru this, but haven't found my answer, IF I book an Economy Regular Non Refundable ticket let's say EWR-RDU-EWR and want to change it to EWR-MCO for a future date can I do that or when I make the change it has to be the same routing as ticketed? I'm cool with a travel credit as I fly UA enough but I may not fly EWR-RDU again within a year. It's a tentative work trip but not confirmed but the fares are as low as they will go so I don't want to miss out so to speak.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by theboss7593
..., IF I book an Economy Regular Non Refundable ticket let's say EWR-RDU-EWR and want to change it to EWR-MCO for a future date can I do that ....
Yes, but best to do by calling
theboss7593 likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:05 am

I had a fare drop from $510 to $430 and when I tried to get a travel credit for the difference, they wanted to charge me $50 to make this happen so I figured I'd ask here first. I was considering cancelling and then rebooking, but wasn't sure how long it takes for the travel credit for the cancelled flight takes to become active. Is it immediate? Any other way arounds?

Thank you!
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
I had a fare drop from $510 to $430 and when I tried to get a travel credit for the difference, they wanted to charge me $50 to make this happen so I figured I'd ask here first. I was considering cancelling and then rebooking, but wasn't sure how long it takes for the travel credit for the cancelled flight takes to become active. Is it immediate? Any other way arounds?

Thank you!
travel credit is available immediately. I’ve had to do this a couple of times (and even on the same reservation!). IME, you can’t just cancel, it will tell you your original flight is ‘not available’ in the same class you had (though I think someone else reported this wasn’t the case for them, but for me, it was). To get around this, I needed to actually change to a different flight, then change it back. I was able to do this all pretty quickly. As has been posted by others above, they don’t seem to want you to use this for a price drop for the same flight (at least not easily).

to save a step, I’d try and make a change (at either the current or new price level), then make the change back to your current flight. It will show $0 when you initially select the flight, even with the drop, but then in the summary before you confirm, will show the old price, the new price, and will indicate the travel credit amount you’ll receive (which will be the difference between the two). If you don’t see the credit amount, as one person reported, I’d be weary of continuing online. Once you confirm, you’ll immediately get two emails - one with the new itinerary, and another with the travel credit amount (residual FFC info).
PGHflyer and jsloan like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 6:35 am

travel credit is available immediately. I’ve had to do this a couple of times (and even on the same reservation!). IME, you can’t just cancel, it will tell you your original flight is ‘not available’ in the same class you had (though I think someone else reported this wasn’t the case for them, but for me, it was). To get around this, I needed to actually change to a different flight, then change it back. I was able to do this all pretty quickly. As has been posted by others above, they don’t seem to want you to use this for a price drop for the same flight (at least not easily).

to save a step, I’d try and make a change (at either the current or new price level), then make the change back to your current flight. It will show $0 when you initially select the flight, even with the drop, but then in the summary before you confirm, will show the old price, the new price, and will indicate the travel credit amount you’ll receive (which will be the difference between the two). If you don’t see the credit amount, as one person reported, I’d be weary of continuing online. Once you confirm, you’ll immediately get two emails - one with the new itinerary, and another with the travel credit amount (residual FFC info).
So you're saying you've cancelled flights, gotten the FFC right away, but when you tried to rebook, the new lower fare wasn't there anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.