Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I also crave for the opportunity to fly this route. I have been flying between US and SIN on United since 1993. My starting and ending point has been Miami for the most part. They were longggggg trips with 2-stop via SFO/LAX/ORD and then NRT/HKG.

Prior to 1997 when airlines were operated out of the old Hong Kong Airport, I would jump on the opportunity to fly in and out of HKG. The views of Kowloon neighborhoods were spectacular both days and nights, landing or take-off pending on the wind direction. Post 1997, I prefer NRT so I could sleep on the last leg into SIN and having an early morning nap on flight from SIN into NRT. there are more choices getting back to stateside at NRT. As others have pointed out, the 6 am departure on HKk-SIN flight is brutal, especially when I had to fly to Miami. The trip seemed never end.

I have been on LAX-SIN and it was too long for me. With UA's standard two-meal services on all transoceanic flights, it does not make sense to only cater two meals on flights such as SFO-SIN or IAH-SYD.
If only the food wasn't so bad in Y. Quite frankly, I would load up on food at the lounge such as AMEX Centurion SFO before I board the flight so I can eat as little as possible onboard.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just checked out the flight schedule in July and made these observations for SFO-HKG-SIN:

1) Route will be operated by a 789 with old business (2-2-2) seats; so no Premium Plus seats for SFO-HKG which is a Polaris + Premium Plus route
2) Departs SFO at 1:40pm as UA877, usually the flight # for the night departure SFO-HKG
3) Weds/Thurs/Fri departures will continue onto SIN; so Tues / Sat SFO-HKG-SFO only
4) First flight July 6, last flight July 31 (Last SIN-HKG-SFO August 2)
5) Aug 3 and beyond show old schedule (for now): SFO-HKG returns to 772, UA877 departure ex-SFO returns to 11:50pm and SFO-SIN direct flights return
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I just checked out the flight schedule in July and made these observations for SFO-HKG-SIN:

1) Route will be operated by a 789 with old business (2-2-2) seats; so no Premium Plus seats for SFO-HKG which is a Polaris + Premium Plus route
2) Departs SFO at 1:40pm as UA877, usually the flight # for the night departure SFO-HKG
3) Weds/Thurs/Fri departures will continue onto SIN; so Tues / Sat SFO-HKG-SFO only
4) First flight July 6, last flight July 31 (Last SIN-HKG-SFO August 2)
5) Aug 3 and beyond show old schedule (for now): SFO-HKG returns to 772, UA877 departure ex-SFO returns to 11:50pm and SFO-SIN direct flights return
Thanks Kevflyer, interesting. A hypothetical: so, if someone wanted to mileage run SFO-HKG-SIN-HKG-SFO in July (not that many would want to do so), one would need to depart SFO W/Th only. HKG has an 8 hour max transit rule, assume SIN has/will have similar. Although SIN allows transit hotel stay or holding area. Departing Tu/Fri/Sat wouldn’t work. Correct? Am I missing anything, other than it might be a long and miserable experience?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Thanks Kevflyer, interesting. A hypothetical: so, if someone wanted to mileage run SFO-HKG-SIN-HKG-SFO in July (not that many would want to do so), one would need to depart SFO W/Th only. HKG has an 8 hour max transit rule, assume SIN has/will have similar. Although SIN allows transit hotel stay or holding area. Departing Tu/Fri/Sat wouldn’t work. Correct? Am I missing anything, other than it might be a long and miserable experience?
Transit in SIN is restricted. Airlines have to file with Changi airport authority with details of flights for transit approval. It is not an open ended transit procedure pre-Covid 19. Also transit passengers are being kept in a dedicated area that is closed off to shops, restaurants, lounges and transit hotel.

Mileage/status runner beware during Covid-19. Transits are only permitted on approved flights at SIN and HK.
MatthewLAX and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:26 pm

I personally wouldn't do this run at all due to logistical nightmare, misery aside. And small chance things can even change while you're in the air?

Transit in SIN is restricted. Airlines have to file with Changi airport authority with details of flights for transit approval. It is not an open ended transit procedure pre-Covid 19. Also transit passengers are being kept in a dedicated area that is closed off to shops, restaurants, lounges and transit hotel.
Mileage/status runner beware during Covid-19. Transits are only permitted on approved flights at SIN and HK.
I'm only aware of transit allowed for people flying from selected cities in Australia / NZ to other Singapore / Scoot / Silk Air destinations (the reverse is not allowed):
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=kataac8r
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I missing anything, other than it might be a long and miserable experience?
If you're a MileagePlus member, you're missing the fact that mileage runs are pointless; distance flown is not a calculation for UA-operated or UA-ticketed flights.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:32 pm

Thanks UA Flyer - check out the Changi website currently on transit rules. Yes, a holding area - or it also seems Aerotel T1 is allowed, I think? First time I’d seen that. It isn’t clear on max transit time, from what I can see.

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you're a MileagePlus member, you're missing the fact that mileage runs are pointless; distance flown is not a calculation for UA-operated or UA-ticketed flights.
Jsloan - not if you’re approaching a MM level! 😜 Very not pointless! Whether or not traveling TPAC in July 2020 is a wise decision is a separate discussion.
SPN Lifer and UA_Flyer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 15, 2020 at 6:42 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jsloan - not if you’re approaching a MM level! 😜 Very not pointless! Whether or not traveling TPAC in July 2020 is a wise decision is a separate discussion.
:-) As long as you remember that United hasn't promised any specific benefits for life, just that they will call you 1K. They may introduce United 2K, 3K, 4K, and 5K at any time and not be in violation of their promise; they can decide that 1Ks no longer get PlusPoints but 2Ks do...
lsquare and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:48 pm

:-) As long as you remember that United hasn't promised any specific benefits for life, just that they will call you 1K. They may introduce United 2K, 3K, 4K, and 5K at any time and not be in violation of their promise; they can decide that 1Ks no longer get PlusPoints but 2Ks do...
What do we have to do to become 5K?? Hopefully not by spending $120k..
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:55 pm

Answering my own question, probably not wise for the reasons mentioned above plus the obvious health risks.
But to continue the hypothetical.....at least HKG is clear - 8 hrs max, one ticket, same airline. Fine, clear.
Changi is very unclear/confusing, at least so far:
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...h-airport.html

Originally Posted by kevflyer
What do we have to do to become 5K?? Hopefully not by spending $120k..
To be safe, you need to achieve TomK. (See ua1flyer). 😂
jsloan and DELee like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 15, 2020 at 7:07 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:02 pm

Yeah. Having flown 22 million miles would definitely help haha
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Can anyone believe anything from UA these days especially with Kirby running the show?
roberto99, Dyce and leoo like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:57 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Answering my own question, probably not wise for the reasons mentioned above plus the obvious health risks.
But to continue the hypothetical.....at least HKG is clear - 8 hrs max, one ticket, same airline. Fine, clear.
Changi is very unclear/confusing, at least so far:
https://www.changiairport.com/en/air...h-airport.html

According to the Straits Times on June 11, only SQ has approval on limited routes for transit. "Transfers to and from flights operated by other airlines are currently not permitted."

We still need to be patient. The airport has said opening up to transit passengers will be a gradual process. And I don't see UA in any rush to apply for approval since this route is temporary. Only hope is the airport opens transit up to all passengers.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX MPC SL, HHonors Diamond
Heard about UA not flying to HKG due to the testing requirement.

Flight is loaded onto system with 789 with 2-2-2

Is there any news on it because the flight still seems to be bookable for August?

Also it seems that there is no PZ space even though very wide open in J. Any idea?

Last edited by tdlim; Jul 15, 2020 at 3:23 am
Old Jul 15, 2020, 4:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How would HKG-SIN-HKG qualify as "transit"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.