Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My bet is this is to enable SIN-US cargo corridor. HKG being a shrewd smokescreen.

The irony is cargo is getting proper Polaris (and PP?) to/from SIN while passengers have not.

Remember Smisek putting a decrepit 737 on HKG-SIN for several months? Case study in incompetence.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Cut all Fifth freedom flights and make sure all business goes to UA and UA only.
That wasn't their strategy. At all.

The fifth freedom flights were dropped because UA and NH believed they could get a substantial premium by offering nonstop service. AFAIK, all of the previous fifth freedom cities are part of the joint venture. It literally makes no difference to United whether you fly UA or NH across the water.

the fifth freedom flights, profit or not, can still get the business going.
Unprofitable flights aren't going to get a business going.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

The fifth freedom flights were dropped because UA and NH believed they could get a substantial premium by offering nonstop service. AFAIK, all of the previous fifth freedom cities are part of the joint venture. It literally makes no difference to United whether you fly UA or NH across the water.
Does NH get revenue share on UA SFO-SIN nonstop? Did they during the UA837-UA803 SFO NRT SIN days?
Old May 6, 2020, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm confused, but since when did UA did a fifth freedom flight from HKG-SIN?
2004 if not earlier. Back in the good old days a UA 747 from HKG and a 777 from NRT would pull into Changi around midnight every day. With me on one or the other several times.

SIN got me hooked to FT, United and pseudo mileage runs. And the Conrad Centennial Singapore.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
2004 if not earlier. Back in the good old days a UA 747 from HKG and a 777 from NRT would pull into Changi around midnight every day. With me on one or the other several times.

SIN got me hooked to FT, United and pseudo mileage runs. And the Conrad Centennial Singapore.
Thanks for the history lesson guys. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind doing a SFO-HKG-SIN flight rather SFO-SIN direct since that is quite a long flight. I'll be crediting the miles to a different program though.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does NH get revenue share on UA SFO-SIN nonstop? Did they during the UA837-UA803 SFO NRT SIN days?
You know, I'm honestly not sure. I had thought so, but I can't find any actual documentation of what cities are involved.

My understanding is that it was beyond Japan to whatever other destinations the various governments would allow. I had thought it included both HKG and SIN, but, like I said, take it with a grain of salt.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

It was also a good way to connect to SIN from EWR's nonstop to HKG. If there were ever issues with the EWR flight, they'd often hold that 747 HKG-SIN for late passengers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
It was also a good way to connect to SIN from EWR's nonstop to HKG. If there were ever issues with the EWR flight, they'd often hold that 747 HKG-SIN for late passengers.
yes nowadays you have to take a ps EWR-SFO To get to SIN. And a domestic transcon after stepping off a 15 hr transpac and doing customs in SF on the return. Brutal. My sympathies.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

Unprofitable flights aren't going to get a business going.
Even if you just fly HKG-SIN by itself, it's still under JV agreement? My point is that if NH knew UA cut HKG-SIN in the first place, wouldn't that hurt their bottom-line too?

If you have a flight that can fly an ultra competitive route, compared to grounding the flight sitting all the aircraft at the major hubs, would you prefer to still fly it or sitting the bird at all?

In tough times there will be tough measures. At the minimum you still need cargo, which is why UA applies for HKG-SIN again.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; May 6, 2020 at 8:58 am
Old May 6, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
But can it do so profitably at current or near-term forecast demand levels? Even with fuel so cheap?

I'm sure the nonstop will return eventually. But I'd bet that pax service via HKG comes first.
It's probably going to be a bit more comfortable flying to SIN via HKG. SFO-SIN is a really long flight regardless which cabin you're in.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
It's probably going to be a bit more comfortable flying to SIN via HKG. SFO-SIN is a really long flight regardless which cabin you're in.
I tried SFO-SIN once. Felt way longer than EWR-HKG. Never again, thank a good lord.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I tried SFO-SIN once. Felt way longer than EWR-HKG. Never again, thank a good lord.
Not only the feeling, but actual distance is longer as well.
ual744777sta and lsquare like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Man, that successor to the Concorde can't come soon enough!
Old May 6, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by garykung
You would think the 400 miles can get that taken care of within 30-45min, but no, it's almost 1.5-2.5 hours longer. I remembered my SFO-SIN was almost 18 hours.
Old May 6, 2020, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You would think the 400 miles can get that taken care of within 30-45min, but no, it's almost 1.5-2.5 hours longer. I remembered my SFO-SIN was almost 18 hours.
According to GC Map, HKG-SIN is about 1,587 miles.

18 hours are brutal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.