Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2020, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

FWIW, the DOT approved the 5th Freedom operations this afternoon.

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf
thejaredhuang and tcdtcd like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by sbm12

Great! It would be nice if US Citizens are allowed into Singapore and also clarity on quarantine procedure upon landing in Hong Kong and Singapore.
iluv2fly and wxguy like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Great! It would be nice if US Citizens are allowed into Singapore and also clarity on quarantine procedure upon landing in Hong Kong and Singapore.
HKG already resumed allowing connection as of 1 June. It's now up to SIN govt to allow entry of HK, US or other nationals.
iluv2fly and wxguy like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Now just resume ORD and EWR (789 perhaps) service to allow my family and friends better connect options from SIN to the Midwest and East coast via HKG.

Supplementing this with a daily SFO-SIN down the road would be great. A mix of back to the future and present.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
HKG already resumed allowing connection as of 1 June. It's now up to SIN govt to allow entry of HK, US or other nationals.

.... so I still cannot enter HK or Singapore. Transit is meaningless to me at the moment. unfortunately I am not doing a quick turn around mileage run to nowhere.

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Now just resume ORD and EWR (789 perhaps) service to allow my family and friends better connect options from SIN to the Midwest and East coast via HKG.

Supplementing this with a daily SFO-SIN down the road would be great. A mix of back to the future and present.
....... unfortunately borders are still closed!
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12

Great. It will be interesting to see, what the actual schedule will look like, as all published seems to be preliminary up to now.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Ironic since the 787 is now the backbone of UA’s longhaul fleet and could make the nonstop.
Right, but getting to SFO from the east coast (especially a small outstation) is next to impossible in a single day, let alone make a connection to SIN. It would much easier to have SFO/ORD/EWR to converge their HKG flights into a single SIN transfer like they used to do.

Maybe, I am the extreme minority, but that made my life so much easier and in my trips to SIN since they stopped the 5th freedom flight, I have flown UA once, and LH, SQ or NH every other time.
SPN Lifer and uastarflyer like this.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
.... so I still cannot enter HK or Singapore. Transit is meaningless to me at the moment. unfortunately I am not doing a quick turn around mileage run to nowhere.

....... unfortunately borders are still closed!
Hong Kong won’t open for non-resident anytime soon.
“The city’s entry restrictions will also remain in place until September 18 for foreign non-residents, with the exception of those who have stayed in mainland China, Taiwan and Macau for 14 days prior to their arrival in Hong Kong.“
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kmxu
That's not the issue.

UA reduced and suspended HKG service in light of the civil unrest rather than COVID-19, resulting low demand. The COVID-19 situation is minimal in this case.
Old Jun 3, 2020, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
“The city’s entry restrictions will also remain in place until September 18 for foreign non-residents, with the exception of those who have stayed in mainland China, Taiwan and Macau for 14 days prior to their arrival in Hong Kong.“
At this pace my SIN and SE Asia business trips are looking like Q2 2021
Old Jun 3, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this pace my SIN and SE Asia business trips are looking like Q2 2021
I think those of us holding USA passports should get ready for a long wait before any country welcomes us with open arms like they did before Covid. Hopefully on site testing will become more quick and reliable which would help.

UA’s Asia flight will be filled with citizens from Asian countries for the time being....plus a lot of cargo.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like the schedule has been loaded and it follows the old UA895/869/896/862 pattern. A terrible schedule for SIN-bound passengers or those wishing to connect onward in Asia, via either HKG or SIN.

UA869 dep SFO 1340 arr HKG 1845+1
UA869 dep HKG 2045+1 arr SIN 0035+2
UA862 dep SIN 0600 arr HKG 0945
UA862 dep HKG 1130 arr SFO 0910

Last edited by dkc192; Jun 6, 2020 at 9:42 pm
Old Jun 6, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
Looks like the schedule has been loaded and it follows the old UA895/869/896/862 pattern. A terrible schedule for SIN-bound passengers or those wishing to connect onward in Asia, via either HKG or SIN.

UA869 dep HKG 1845+1 arr SIN 0035+2
There is an error in your post. Flight leaving HKG for SIN at 20:45 not 18:45.

This is the same schedule that UA used to operate before the direct SFO-SIN-SFO was introduced.

BTW, it is loaded in the schedule for July only. UA seems to still bank on SFO-SIN-SFO direct flights resuming in August..
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192

UA869 dep HKG 20:xx+1 arr SIN 0035+2
UA isn’t focused on delivering connections to SQ in SIN, but rather options to its own customers upon arrival in the US. This schedule, (I edited one leg) the original UAUA schedule, makes a ton of sense. Arrive SIN late night, be at a hotel in an hour or less and be ready in the AM for business. Coming home arrive SFO AM, with daytime options to connect to fly in to final destination.

A lot of us UA regulars do well with this timing from a SIN perspective.

I just wish SFO-HKG left at 1pm like PMUA used to do so that the connection got into SIN at 11:50PM instead of 12:30AM. The slight delay must help with flights coming into SFO the same morning.
Bear96, SPN Lifer and blug like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I just wish SFO-HKG left at 1pm like PMUA used to do so that the connection got into SIN at 11:50PM instead of 12:30AM. The slight delay must help with flights coming into SFO the same morning.
FWIW - SFO-HKG-SIN is a SQ route, but never UA. It was always SFO-HKG-SGN. HKG-SIN was the continuation of ORD-HKG.

Hence, the scheduling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.