Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Old May 5, 20, 4:12 pm
  #1  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,198
HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

It will launch as cargo-only service, but United applied to the DOT today for rights to carry 5th Freedom traffic on the HKG-SIN route 1x daily. The company hopes to launch the route on a 77W as soon as this Sunday, 10 May 2020.

No timeline for when passengers might be carried, but the filing contemplates that eventuality and seeks permission for such.

Update: A UA spokesperson says "no plans to resume passenger service on this route at this time." But also still requesting that permission, just in case.

Link goes to my site reporting the story; you've been warned per FT rules.

Last edited by sbm12; May 5, 20 at 4:34 pm
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 4:13 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 196
Probably is the only way to be able to serve SIN for the foreseeable future. Donít see the non stops from the US coming back anytime soon
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
UAL757222 is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 5:16 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Posts: 7,715
Originally Posted by UAL757222 View Post
Probably is the only way to be able to serve SIN for the foreseeable future. Donít see the non stops from the US coming back anytime soon
Ironic since the 787 is now the backbone of UAís longhaul fleet and could make the nonstop.
PsiFighter37 is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 5:40 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,198
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
and could make the nonstop.
But can it do so profitably at current or near-term forecast demand levels? Even with fuel so cheap?

I'm sure the nonstop will return eventually. But I'd bet that pax service via HKG comes first.
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 5:43 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD/DCA/FLL/MIA
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Posts: 10,984
Any flight to SIN or HKG is a welcome news, although I can see it may just only cargo.

With the demand so low and HK airport landing fee to be quite high, perhaps a single flight to HKG and continuing to SIN may be a good way to go instead running 1xHKG and 1xSIN. from SFO.

I don't mind how it is going to be done, I have travel needs to both.
wxguy and polarbears like this.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 5:45 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,256
Originally Posted by UAL757222 View Post
Probably is the only way to be able to serve SIN for the foreseeable future. Donít see the non stops from the US coming back anytime soon
I guess the question is whether there will be so much overlap in the future, as SQ flies those routes, obviously. And supposedly they are partners. I mean, BA and AA have cut a lot of the excess NYC-LON routes.
s0ssos is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 5:56 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Chicago
Programs: united 1k, HH Diamond
Posts: 397
Interesting how they requested to carry passengers. I have always thought of the sfo-sin flights as some of the most jammed and profitable flights in the system. I mean they would SELL full J 10k tickets 3 days out and the planes would very commonly be booked full days before departure. Upgrades were VERY rare.
united 1k flyer is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 6:20 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 2,940
This may have to do with the fact that UPS returned some of the frequencies back to the DOT.
ual744777sta is online now  
Old May 5, 20, 7:06 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,168
I don't think we have to read into this too much.

Pre-COVID-19, UA served both SIN and HKG 2x daily. If the demand will not support 2x after COVID-19 is all over, UA then can mirror SQ's model.

I would say UA applies just in case.
garykung is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 9:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 7,687
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Is UA still flying SFO-SIN right now?
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT View Post
It's been cancelled until July 6th.
United is seeking to relaunch HKG-SIN, first as an all-cargo service with 77W effective May 10, and, if demand permits, eventually to add passenger service. https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0047-0001

I suspect we will shortly see the SFO-SIN flight deferred to an October 2020 relaunch, and any passenger UA service to Singapore (most optimistically, July 6) would be a fifth-freedom route via HKG for at least this summer.

UA seeks fifth freedom authority to carry local cargo (and eventually passenger) traffic. Back to the future...
wxguy likes this.
EWR764 is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 9:29 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,978
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
I guess the question is whether there will be so much overlap in the future, as SQ flies those routes, obviously. And supposedly they are partners. I mean, BA and AA have cut a lot of the excess NYC-LON routes.
BA and AA are in a joint venture with antitrust immunity. UA and SQ are not. They may be "partners" in Star Alliance, but they're competitors. That's how we got the huge quantity of Singapore-US nonstop flights in the first place: UA made its move, and SQ fired back with way more capacity than there was demand. SQ was hoping that UA would run from the routes.
moondog, lsquare and bluedemon211 like this.
jsloan is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 9:41 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SRQ, PDX
Programs: UA 1 MM
Posts: 683
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Back to the future...
OT, but since inception, UA's service to both HKG and SIN has been anything but stable. This is yet another deja-vu chapter.
artvandalay is offline  
Old May 5, 20, 11:08 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,329
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
United is seeking to relaunch HKG-SIN, first as an all-cargo service with 77W effective May 10, and, if demand permits, eventually to add passenger service. https://www.regulations.gov/document...2020-0047-0001

I suspect we will shortly see the SFO-SIN flight deferred to an October 2020 relaunch, and any passenger UA service to Singapore (most optimistically, July 6) would be a fifth-freedom route via HKG for at least this summer.

UA seeks fifth freedom authority to carry local cargo (and eventually passenger) traffic. Back to the future...
Originally Posted by artvandalay View Post
OT, but since inception, UA's service to both HKG and SIN has been anything but stable. This is yet another deja-vu chapter.
I'm confused, but since when did UA did a fifth freedom flight from HKG-SIN?

Did UA even planned to fly SFO-HKG this summer or that was suspended indefinitely?

SFO-HKG-SIN doesn't seem like a bad idea if the economics work and travel restrictions are lifted, bit it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel when COVID-19 continues to get worse in the US.
lsquare is online now  
Old May 5, 20, 11:39 pm
  #14  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 5,520
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I'm confused, but since when did UA did a fifth freedom flight from HKG-SIN?

Did UA even planned to fly SFO-HKG this summer or that was suspended indefinitely?

SFO-HKG-SIN doesn't seem like a bad idea if the economics work and travel restrictions are lifted, bit it's hard to see light at the end of the tunnel when COVID-19 continues to get worse in the US.
A few older threads:

Welcoming back UA 895/896 HKG-SIN on the 747-400!!!

United! Please at least make HKG-SIN RPU capable!

Last HKG-SIN on Oct 27 2017 anyone will be there?

David
wxguy likes this.
DELee is online now  
Old May 5, 20, 11:47 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ROC/NYC/MSP/LAX/HKG/SIN
Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Posts: 3,207
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Any flight to SIN or HKG is a welcome news, although I can see it may just only cargo.

With the demand so low and HK airport landing fee to be quite high, perhaps a single flight to HKG and continuing to SIN may be a good way to go instead running 1xHKG and 1xSIN. from SFO.

I don't mind how it is going to be done, I have travel needs to both.
This is what their business strategy bite them in the last few years. Cut all Fifth freedom flights and make sure all business goes to UA and UA only. Now what? Nobody is welcoming Americans and the fifth freedom flights, profit or not, can still get the business going.
dvs7310 likes this.
PaulInTheSky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: