Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by tdlim
Heard about UA not flying to HKG due to the testing requirement.

Flight is loaded onto system with 789 with 2-2-2

Is there any news on it because the flight still seems to be bookable for August?

Also it seems that there is no PZ space even though very wide open in J. Any idea?
well I believe they announced they would not be flying it until August which is , I believe, the current end date for the newly added crew testing system that caused them to cancel these flights..

of course it’s possible they will extend the crew testing and thus UA would extend the postponement

Originally Posted by moondog
How would HKG-SIN-HKG qualify as "transit"?
presume that the bulk of passengers on such a flight would be coming from USA to HKG, probably on UA.

cant imagine they’ll pick up much purchase of HKG-SIN or reverse tickets

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 15, 2020 at 11:02 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 15, 2020, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hscottm
presume that the bulk of passengers on such a flight would be coming from USA to HKG, probably on UA.

cant imagine they’ll pick up much purchase of HKG-SIN or reverse tickets
Back when UA flew that route, they significantly undercut CX and SQ, which allowed them to get some O&D traffic to tolerate their awful schedule. Things might be different now that LCCs have emerged on the scene.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tdlim
Also it seems that there is no PZ space even though very wide open in J. Any idea?
This is part of a larger issue discussed here: TPAC upgrade space blocked?

Last edited by dkc192; Jul 15, 2020 at 12:54 pm
Old Jul 15, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT, Avis First
Seems like routes to HKG directly got dropped (due to crew entry issues) and go via GUM but cargo only.

SFO-GUM-SIN and return

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...130Z/WSSS/PGUM
Old Jul 15, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
HKG and SIN are loaded in the system right now from the 18th onward. I really hope they figure the crew issue... Its not just the passenger flight, all the cargo flights to HKG too.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Originally Posted by mikey2007
Seems like routes to HKG directly got dropped (due to crew entry issues) and go via GUM but cargo only.

SFO-GUM-SIN and return

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...130Z/WSSS/PGUM
Is this flight on UA metal, or a codeshare? I’ve never seen that route before. Would be great if I can now fly HNL-GUM then GUM-SIN all on UA metal and use PP to upgrade the whole trip!
Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by bajong
Is this flight on UA metal, or a codeshare? I’ve never seen that route before. Would be great if I can now fly HNL-GUM then GUM-SIN all on UA metal and use PP to upgrade the whole trip!
UA flight status shows it as a UA 787-9 with no occupied seats (except the normally blocked ones), so it looks to be all-cargo.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wouldn't that be a dream. I think they did GUM-DPS (pmCO) but never SIN
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As others have stated, cargo only route (including cargo in passenger cabin) -- for more on cargo only routes, see UA cargo-only flights during COVID-19 era
Flight numbers of UA27xx or UA28xx are a potential cargo only flag
Old Jul 16, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Didn't PA have a set of flights like that? I remember as a kid in the early 1970s having to stop somewhere between HNL and SIN.

David
Old Jul 16, 2020, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Assuming GUM-SIN was an actually passenger route, GUM-SIN would be a CPUable segment per current policy. No PP is required.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
18th flight 877 Cxl, Next loaded flight is the 20th. Same reasons given...

Is a ICN stopover or a second crew really that hard to setup!?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Hope they resolve the testing issues soon. There is a need for passenger services to both HK and SIN. I for one is counting on flying this route

Originally Posted by HGHUA
18th flight 877 Cxl, Next loaded flight is the 20th. Same reasons given...

Is a ICN stopover or a second crew really that hard to setup!?
ICN works for PVG and PEK because the distance between ICN and PVG/PEK is about 550 miles (roughly same distance between Palm Beach Florida and Atlanta Georgia), and the same crew can do a quick turn-around on ICN-PVG/PEK-ICN.

ICN-SIN can take 7 hours and ICN-HKG is about 5 hours, so not sure how that would impact various hours/rest time requirements and scheduling.

I may be off base here, but not sure how second crew would work. My understanding of second crew is to relieve the first crew to operate on the same ultra-long range flight. It is not about about carrying a team of separate crew to destination and fly the same plane back within hours of landing the plane. I am not even sure the first crew is permitted to fly right back on the same long haul flight they just flew. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of union rules or FAA regulations can better answer this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Hope they resolve the testing issues soon. There is a need for passenger services to both HK and SIN. I for one is counting on flying this route

ICN works for PVG and PEK because the distance between ICN and PVG/PEK is about 550 miles (roughly same distance between Palm Beach Florida and Atlanta Georgia), and the same crew can do a quick turn-around on ICN-PVG/PEK-ICN.

ICN-SIN can take 7 hours and ICN-HKG is about 5 hours, so not sure how that would impact various hours/rest time requirements and scheduling.

I may be off base here, but not sure how second crew would work. My understanding of second crew is to relieve the first crew to operate on the same ultra-long range flight. It is not about about carrying a team of separate crew to destination and fly the same plane back within hours of landing the plane. I am not even sure the first crew is permitted to fly right back on the same long haul flight they just flew. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of union rules or FAA regulations can better answer this.
Hmm, ok then. How about TPE then, That'd be about 500 ish miles I think. Or at least run the HKG segment?
The HKG-SIN segment isn't very full. Its mainly the cargo keeping it going.

I saw some of the european airlines making stops in BKK to change crew.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Given the political problems with China, SFO-GUM-SIN is a much more stable routing, given that Guam is a U.S. territory.

Guam was a good Western Pacific mini-hub for CO in the past and could well resume that role when traffic picks up.

Until then, there is no reason military and other travellers to GUM should need to stop in HNL, especially with the HI quarantine.

Guam has a quarantine similar to HI, but the time is ripe for a SFO-GUM-SIN routing. If cargo is paying the freight, even partially full flights would be additional revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.