Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I'm ready for August and for the first time in years taking a holiday similar to my home office in GmbH. With 30+ work related PQFs I'm ready for some personal time and have purchased 10 legs to visit family.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:52 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Business travel being reduced isn't unique to the Bay Area. So, if that is the case - do I want hubs in places like San Francisco, Chicago, New York - places people want to go to for leisure travel and can scale up cargo operations - or, do I want my hubs in Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City? I think UA is best positioned of the majors based on location.
Agreed. I did a brief analysis of the big 3 hubs and the population of those metros a few months back and UA was the best positioned there.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 4:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oskidunker
They dont seem to want to release any saver C awards
Even though no one is flying. Hard to understand.
Cash is everything nowadays, any disincentive to purchasing cash fares will be minimzed
Old Jul 28, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Cash is everything nowadays, any disincentive to purchasing cash fares will be minimzed
For sure! UA sure got lucky by going to "dynamic" mileage levels on travel rather than fixed amount of miles for domestic/international travel as they use to do. I looked at a trip from SFO-CLE-SFO with miles and I could have gone to Europe for less miles in the past and this is not an exaggeration.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Made it 167 days without flying. My longest in at least a decade and probably 15 years. I decided to take a break from work and get my PPL. California has pretty good weather so I needed to fly. Experience on UA (IAD-SFO-SMF on 739 and E175) was fine. IAD was a ghost town. I boarded last since I was in F (blew unnecessary but expiring PP). FAs and staff were friendly throughout the journey and travelers wore masks. SFO was a bit more crowded. Nice to not have crowds or full flights. Do wish UA could serve some decent food (I think it’s coming back in a few days?) rather than cut to the bottom. Honestly would rather fly now then eat at a restaurant which I’ve yet to do since March.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist
I've been flying about 8 flights in the past few weeks so back to my normal schedule roughly and really like it. Loads have been half empty and not a lot of other 1Ks to compete with for upgrades which have come easily and complimentary. Wearing a mask door/door, washing hands and using alcohol wipe to crank vent to full blask, I've felt safe enough to keep it up. Most people are pretty pleasant but I did sit next to a woman on DEN>ORD who coughed a few times into her sleeve during snackbox service and then pulled her mask down to blow her nose. Just have to be prepared to deal w/people who have zero tact like that. My family and I don't have any high risk conditions so that's in part w/our comfort level at taking appropriate precautions and following guidelines, but still returning to normal travel routine.

The biggest hurdle we're going to face is we have a flight to Tahiti in 2 1/2 weeks and have to get a negative test within 72 hours of the flight, hopefully that isn't an issue and we plan to use the same testing service that Air Tahiti uses in LA, so will do a quick SF><LA trip to do it, that's the plan atleast for now.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by hawkswin
I've been flying about 8 flights in the past few weeks so back to my normal schedule roughly and really like it. Loads have been half empty and not a lot of other 1Ks to compete with for upgrades which have come easily and complimentary. Wearing a mask door/door, washing hands and using alcohol wipe to crank vent to full blask, I've felt safe enough to keep it up. Most people are pretty pleasant but I did sit next to a woman on DEN>ORD who coughed a few times into her sleeve during snackbox service and then pulled her mask down to blow her nose. Just have to be prepared to deal w/people who have zero tact like that. My family and I don't have any high risk conditions so that's in part w/our comfort level at taking appropriate precautions and following guidelines, but still returning to normal travel routine.

The biggest hurdle we're going to face is we have a flight to Tahiti in 2 1/2 weeks and have to get a negative test within 72 hours of the flight, hopefully that isn't an issue and we plan to use the same testing service that Air Tahiti uses in LA, so will do a quick SF><LA trip to do it, that's the plan atleast for now.
Make sure that the testing company guarantees the turn-around time. I've had to get PCR (nasal swab) tests nearly every week for work and have already missed a couple of flights because of delayed test results.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:14 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Work is still from home only, zero international travel, don't see this changing anytime soon. Just made my first trip (BOS - EWR - SJU - STX) just for a needed change in scenery for a couple of weeks. I was impressed with the protocols being used by United. I do feel safe flying, practicing good personal protocols and social distancing are the keys in my opinion.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:23 am

Flew IAD-LHR-IAD last week. On the return leg, I was the only one in business - the crew (including FAs) later occupied various seats for nap/movies. Both operated by 787-8 and the IAD-LHR had polaris business and about 20% full.

Business class pax now board at the end - but 1K, military, families+kids can still continue to preboard.

On the way out, it was a bit surreal when they announced that US citizens need visa or get their document checked before they will be allowed to board flights to FRA, ZRH, MUC (LHR has no restrictions to enter except 2 week self quarantine).

On the way back, had a health screener at IAD, they take temperature and make you fill a form and follow up with a call later to remind you to stay put for 2 weeks.

Happy to answer any questions.
Lori_Q likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Who's flying? Us! First leisure trip since February!

We took a short weekend trip to Sun Valley from Denver a couple of weeks back. Both 1.5-hour flights were mostly empty. We were handed packets of good-sized sanitizer wipes when we boarded. Most passengers who were in our area of the cabin swabbed their seats and trays with the wipes.

The snack service consisted of a half-pint bottle of water, and a pre-sealed plastic bag containing pretzels, Dutch cookies, a napkin and another sanitizer wipe. The flight attendants then offered drinks of our choice. We were on CPU upgrades, so I'm not sure what drink service was offered in the back.

This was a leisure trip, but an important one for us -- a milestone birthday for my husband, who is having a rough time right now. My desire to do something nice for him overpowered his reluctance to get on a plane, but he became comfortable with it once we were in the air.

Being on a plane again felt really good.
DCFlyIAD and hyedmd like this.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5557223
Flew IAD-LHR-IAD last week. On the return leg, I was the only one in business - the crew (including FAs) later occupied various seats for nap/movies. Both operated by 787-8 and the IAD-LHR had polaris business and about 20% full.

Business class pax now board at the end - but 1K, military, families+kids can still continue to preboard.

On the way out, it was a bit surreal when they announced that US citizens need visa or get their document checked before they will be allowed to board flights to FRA, ZRH, MUC (LHR has no restrictions to enter except 2 week self quarantine).

On the way back, had a health screener at IAD, they take temperature and make you fill a form and follow up with a call later to remind you to stay put for 2 weeks.

Happy to answer any questions.
Who did the health screen? (US federal, Virginia, someone else?)

Just curious what's being done now. I was flying internationally Jan through Mar, and at best it was a wink and a 'no China?', or more usually nothing. This was SFO & LAX.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Not flying. Still waiting for Europe and Hawaii to reopen ...
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
No flights for me since March 6th (business-related or otherwise) and my company has grounded all travel for the foreseeable future. Itching to get away but not comfortable traveling for leisure at the moment. So glad we took a last minute trip to Australia in December. I miss flying.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
No flights for me since I cancelled a Mar 31 trip. May need to make an international trip sometime this fall for personal business reasons, but will see how that pans out.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA1K
i've flown twice. SAT twice (beginning of june and a few weeks ago) and IAD to see my parents. honestly, seeing the safety protocols in place i don't have any hesitation right now. i've flown UA, AS, and WN. all social distanced and everyone wore masks. seeing the empty airports was very sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.