Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by threecap
My company invests in the senior housing and elderly healthcare industries, so we're quite essential. Not all operational issues can be done by onsite personnel/management, or by an executive remotely. Some require an executive, in person. Honestly, some personnel issues during my homestate's peak COVID issues kept me home, and the issues got worse.

There are lots of companies that can't pause operations, can't deal with every issue remotely, so I for one am VERY thankful that UA and its employees are still flying as much as they are, and trying to build up the flight schedule more in future months.
Hear hear! I own a small business in another state and didn't visit for two months, whereas normally I would visit every three weeks. A surprising number of issues sprang up without my regular visits. I've been back flying since mid-May and things have settled down considerably. Thank you UA for enabling us to continue to fly!
threecap likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Not. Won't go international till I don't have to quarantine for 14 days.
Every international conference I had for 2020 has now been canceled.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by threecap

So long story short, I am now travelling. Not pre-COVID levels, but I'm travelling. I'm also getting tested weekly (yep, swab me up), and I'm meeting with our teams OUTSIDE instead of inside, whenever possible, and always with a mask.

There are lots of companies that can't pause operations, can't deal with every issue remotely, so I for one am VERY thankful that UA and its employees are still flying as much as they are, and trying to build up the flight schedule more in future months.
+1
I Am grateful that UA can still get me to my jobs. Also, the attitude of the majority of active UA staff has been great during this crisis.

I too, am getting tested regularly due to the job requirements and have tested positive twice since March, been quarantined with no symptoms, then retested negative after quarantine. I've had a total of around 12 tests so far. I wonder if you are seeing any false positives in your organization with the PCR test?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:14 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
+1
I Am grateful that UA can still get me to my jobs. Also, the attitude of the majority of active UA staff has been great during this crisis.

I too, am getting tested regularly due to the job requirements and have tested positive twice since March, been quarantined, then retested negative after quarantine. I've had a total of around 12 tests so far. I wonder if you are seeing any false positives in your organization with the PCR test?
The two times you tested positive, did you ever have any symptoms? Do you feel like you were as careful as humanly possible? Were they post-flight(s)? I'm really curious of your take on how you may have come in contact, or if you believe the tests fail that often.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by wunderpit
The two times you tested positive, did you ever have any symptoms? Do you feel like you were as careful as humanly possible? Were they post-flight(s)? I'm really curious of your take on how you may have come in contact, or if you believe the tests fail that often.
I only had symptoms back in early February after an international trade show with about 50% Chinese National participation. I got better after about a week in isolation. But the PCR test is only supposed to detect actual viral particles, so I don't see how my earlier illness could've been the cause. I can only assume these results were false positives. The positive tests were post-flight, arrival at the job site, tests.

Also, I am super careful when working/traveling. My mask never comes off indoors, or anytime other people are present, and I always spray down with alcohol before and after meeting with people.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 24, 2020 at 8:32 pm
Old Jul 25, 2020, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not flying until full service levels are restored or there is an urgent need - my money doesn't get spent on crap.

We have one necessary flight coming up next month to help my sister-in-law move, so we bought the cheapest one-way nonstop from Southern CA to Seattle, and the $75 for that ticket is probably just about what it's worth....and no, it's not on United.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
We have one necessary flight coming up next month to help my sister-in-law move, so we bought the cheapest one-way nonstop from Southern CA to Seattle, and the $75 for that ticket is probably just about what it's worth....and no, it's not on United.
Who's got the cheapest tix these days to SEA from Socal, Alaska?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Nobody will have me

Going from 130,000-150,000 per year to 0 is really making me feel kind of blue. I thrive on personal interaction and love the adrenaline of my travel life.

if this is how my last years of work will play out, it’s going to be much easier on me physically but the boredom may prove to be a far worse enemy. With Summer here, and the ability to be outdoors every day, there are some pluses. I just hope we get back to something more akin to normal by March of 2021 or so. Really that’s a long way off!
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Who's got the cheapest tix these days to SEA from Socal, Alaska?
Alaska and Delta for nonstops
kevflyer likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:50 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Going from 130,000-150,000 per year to 0 is really making me feel kind of blue. I thrive on personal interaction and love the adrenaline of my travel life.

if this is how my last years of work will play out, it’s going to be much easier on me physically but the boredom may prove to be a far worse enemy. With Summer here, and the ability to be outdoors every day, there are some pluses. I just hope we get back to something more akin to normal by March of 2021 or so. Really that’s a long way off!
I hear you. Hard to believe we’re 5 months in and it’s more terrible than ever for some of us (I’m in Cali). This lasting longer than a year, at this level, will be super rough. I know we’ll be living with the virus forever in some way. I need more strict guidelines at airports in order to travel.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I cannot speak for domestic, but don’t bother flying international if you can, especially those who are itching to do status/mileage runs. In this challenging period with so much going on: Covid 19, social issues, politics, spending time on the ground is gold, IMHO.

I had no choice due to work, so after three Covid-19 tests ( all negative) this month, hassles of getting special visas (for two countries, but one does not need to be used), paying higher fare ( due to lack of flights) and went through mandatory isolated and designated 14-day quarantine upon arrival in a foreign jurisdiction, the best time of 2020 has been spent in my backyard swimming pool and running trails at the local sections of a national park.

Averaging 350K BIS a year for the last dozen years, I don’t miss flying one bit. My body felt better and I had been eating healthier until my current international trip.

Enjoy time on the ground, once you start flying again, you will soon moan about bad services, lousy food, cheap wine, not clearing upgrade, crowded lounges and anything you have been complaining about since you began flying.... relax!

This thread is just so reflective of the DNAs of frequent flyers.... one can always find something to complain about UA (or an airlines) when one does not even fly.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by shelby101
Not. Won't go international till I don't have to quarantine for 14 days.
Every international conference I had for 2020 has now been canceled.
Same here. The 14 day quarantine means I cant come back to the states, and besides, all the events I used to attend in person are now all virtual. I could travel inside Europe as long as it’s to a country on the “green” list, but even that involves testing and a five day quarantine upon return. I don’t know a single person in my workgroup who is flying for leisure this summer. Instead, everyone is talking about their upcoming road trips.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Averaging 350K BIS a year for the last dozen years, I don’t miss flying one bit. My body felt better and I had been eating healthier until my current international trip.
+1. I've gotten used to Zoom meetings even for sales, and visiting remote offices is now pretty much out of the question. Our travel budget has gone way down as a result.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I cannot speak for domestic, but don’t bother flying international if you can, especially those who are itching to do status/mileage runs. In this challenging period with so much going on: Covid 19, social issues, politics, spending time on the ground is gold, IMHO.

I had no choice due to work, so after three Covid-19 tests ( all negative) this month, hassles of getting special visas (for two countries, but one does not need to be used), paying higher fare ( due to lack of flights) and went through mandatory isolated and designated 14-day quarantine upon arrival in a foreign jurisdiction, the best time of 2020 has been spent in my backyard swimming pool and running trails at the local sections of a national park.

Enjoy time on the ground, once you start flying again, you will soon moan about bad services, lousy food, cheap wine, not clearing upgrade, crowded lounges and anything you have been complaining about since you began flying.... relax!

This thread is just so reflective of the DNAs of frequent flyers.... one can always find something to complain about UA (or an airlines) when one does not even fly.
Just flying domestically can be a pain. I’ve taken the SAR_CoV-2 Antibody test and get nasal swabbed every two weeks, all negative. As part of one of my contracts the customer provided me with a fitness monitor with GPS and require me to keep a medical diary so they can be sure that I haven’t been in a ‘contraindicated’ area. And so it goes. I’m in the service side of the Pharma industry I probably spend as much time researching each fiefdoms (State, local, and customer) constantly changing requirements and then trying to at least look like I’m complying with them then actually working. With the new logistics of air travel what used to be a three day out and back has become five days.And don't get me started on the changes to the hotel industry!
I have been trying to coordinate one customer’s international trip with stops in multiple locations in different countries. Last years trip was a 20 day excursion this year it has morphed into something that could take 90 days to complete with multiple returns to the U.S. between stops and several times the cost.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have stopped flying since returning from Barcelona Mar.12. I have no plans to fly anywhere until Thanksgiving to Germany for Christmas Markets. I am hoping Americans will be allowed entry into Germany without quarantine by November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.