Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Good grief, not knowing the difference between Washington state and Washington DC -- no doubt, if someone said they came from New Mexico, he would ask to see their passport!

Better approach is to say you are from the "District of Columbia," and hope that the TSA guy doesn't get that confused with the country Colombia...
This is actually worse! If you remember a few years ago, DC issued licenses with "District of Columbia" on them, and we ended up with so many anecdotal news stories about people being denied in liquor stores and by TSA around the country because "we only accept U.S. IDs" that they ended up changing it back to say "Washington, DC"
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
This was the view from my seat Thursday evening landing at SeaTac.

4/9/20 from seat 3A
onthesam, narvik, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:18 am
Suspended

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA? Why? What's it Like?

I can decide when I start flying again so am curious:

If you are flying, why? Is it required by your company or are you just feeling comfortable doing this.
If you are flying, what is it like? Are planes x% full, what are airports like?

If you are not flying Why not and when do you see yourself flying again?

If you have to visit a whole bunch of people (like I do) and if its easy to fly now (and safe), why not?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
If you have to visit a whole bunch of people (like I do)
You're confusing "have to" with "want to".
dinoscool3, narvik and zspitzer like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
If you have to visit a whole bunch of people (like I do) and if its easy to fly now (and safe), why not?
Many agree with you, apparently: (not UA)
https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/airlin...wearing-masks/
Old Apr 25, 2020, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are not flying Why not and when do you see yourself flying again?
Ain't no places to go...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:23 am
Suspended

Not really

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You're confusing "have to" with "want to".
Not if your business requires you to visit peoplel, that is if I want to keep their business
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Not if your business requires you to visit peoplel, that is if I want to keep their business
You even use the words "want to" in your reply, confirming my statement. If I were running a company that had a client requiring me to do so, I would get rid of that client, as they obviouly wouldn't care about me or my employees.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airports / airplanes are only so empty and "safe" feeling for those that are continuing to travel because so many of us who would also like to be traveling are doing our part by staying home. Seems a bit unfair to the rest of us that some are continuing to travel when they really do not "have" to that our depriving ourselves of travel is benefiting them. It's even worse because the people who ARE traveling are increasing the risk of this spreading to the rest of us even if they happen to remain asymptomatic. (This is NOT directed at the very few who truly HAVE to travel, and I am not judging whether or not anyone posting in this thread is in that category. Just making a general observation.)
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As said earlier
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In this thread asking people to post about their reasons to travel, please avoid personally directed comments on those reasons or you are likely to run afoul of the FT rules. In particular, any form of flying-shamming is not allowed. Including stating the poster is making a poor choice.

If we want to hear why some continue to fly then criticizing is not a way to encourage such posts and the rules state "Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated." If you can not do this, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
artvandalay likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Thank you

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As said earlier

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Like everyone else I would love to stay home. Unfortunately, I've got mortgages I owe, employees and a family that depend on me.

I don't see this virus going away anytime soon, so if now is a good time to fly and of course if it's safe then I figured I'd do it now.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:33 pm

Like everyone else I would love to stay home. Unfortunately, I've got mortgages I owe, employees and a family that depend on me.
And those complying with the orders to stay at home are obviously people without employees, families, and mortgages.
Bear96 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
... what are airports like?
Haunting photos show just how empty DIA is because of the coronavirus pandemic
Old Apr 25, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have all of those too, but am still not traveling, despite getting flack for that and exposing my company to some risk for not doing so.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I am still flying 2-3x/wk working in short-staffed hospitals in the Southern US. The ability to be tested for COVID is still quite difficult despite what many believe. My main problem now is getting anywhere. I might book a flight today for next week, only to have it canceled the day before the flight. If there's only one flight to a destination per day, that makes it untenable. The other night I was on a United flight that became delayed for 2 hrs after boarding sitting at the gate. I got off after an hour and was fortunate to get on an American flight. Who knows how long this will go on.
dorisrpas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.