Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2020, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Who did the health screen? (US federal, Virginia, someone else?)

Just curious what's being done now. I was flying internationally Jan through Mar, and at best it was a wink and a 'no China?', or more usually nothing. This was SFO & LAX.
Not sure, federal maybe CDC. Took a photo of the form they had everyone fill in during the flight:

Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
FWIW: UA1521 LAX-IAD 07/30/20

David
Old Jul 30, 2020, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5557223
Not sure, federal maybe CDC. Took a photo of the form they had everyone fill in during the flight:

img
Definitely federal with the OMB number top right.

Thanks for sharing.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by DELee
FWIW: UA1521 LAX-IAD 07/30/20

David
I guess it's official that UA is taking advantage of Covid to remove the Saks Duvets and replace them with cheap blankets on transcon flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2020 at 9:54 am Reason: please limit image quotes to relevant images
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
I guess it's official that UA is taking advantage of Covid to remove the Saks Duvets and replace them with cheap blankets on transcon flights.
Actually the photo was of a Saks blanket and pillow. Lighting quality was poor.

David
artvandalay likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually the photo was of a Saks blanket and pillow. Lighting quality was poor.

David
Correct. However, it is just the Saks "light", not the cozy, warm duvet, fly747first is referring to.
SPN Lifer and fly747first like this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA719 IAD-LAX 07/31/20

getting back to California in one piece

started in 20F (a purple special) - took a risk at one of the bassinet attach seats - had the 3 center seats to myself:

got a text from UA:

GA comes into the cabin to Inform someone else as well as me: upgraded to 9F. Grab my bag and head forward - except dude decided that 9F was more of what he wanted than 9D. Had to tell one of the FAs of his error and have them tell him to move.

Needless to say, I wiped down all areas.

This time - no pillow or blanket:

why to some, odd # window seats are a waste:

my other problem: too tall:

I keep flying on planes that are too big:

So, any one want a tapas box?

gave up and ate my Potbelly Turkey Club instead:

Oh, other issue with middle Polaris seats: Only one air vent (being too tall I can easily watch Mr. wrong seat's screen - no pic taken):

again plane is still too big:

David
cesco.g, Boraxo and UA_Flyer like this.

Last edited by DELee; Aug 1, 2020 at 7:56 pm
Old Aug 1, 2020, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Correct. However, it is just the Saks "light", not the cozy, warm duvet, fly747first is referring to.
Ah. I missed that. Yes, not the uber duvet. But, because I can't always guarantee sitting in J/F and getting a blankie, I tend to dress with more layers on UA fly days as a defensive measure - so, the lighter Saks blanket wasn't an issue.

David
Old Aug 3, 2020, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Ah. I missed that. Yes, not the uber duvet. But, because I can't always guarantee sitting in J/F and getting a blankie, I tend to dress with more layers on UA fly days as a defensive measure - so, the lighter Saks blanket wasn't an issue.

David
UA is just being greedy. I'm so glad B6 is eating their profits on transcons out of EWR and yes, B6 is still providing a proper duvet.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by fly747first
UA is just being greedy. I'm so glad B6 is eating their profits on transcons out of EWR and yes, B6 is still providing a proper duvet.
I have found the small pillows on PS flight of little use. UA should go back to the bigger pillows it used to provide on PS flights.
These small pillows are the recycled ones from the Polaris cabin when two pillows were provided. Hope once they fulfill their typical cycle of useful life, UA can standard the size of pillow, duvet and blanket for both PS and Polaris cabins.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Last flight was 23 March. I'm dying to get out again - usually I'm traveling all over western US in the summer and fall. But at this point I am thinking I'll likely not fly till 2021. The risk is just too high for me. Even if the plane is OK, there's a lot of people indoors for extended periods of time in an airport. I'm glad some are flying because it give me hope, but the way the pandemic is being coped with, or not, in the US is very discouraging.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Last flight was 23 March. I'm dying to get out again - usually I'm traveling all over western US in the summer and fall. But at this point I am thinking I'll likely not fly till 2021. The risk is just too high for me. Even if the plane is OK, there's a lot of people indoors for extended periods of time in an airport. I'm glad some are flying because it give me hope, but the way the pandemic is being coped with, or not, in the US is very discouraging.
My last UA flight was in December and my last flight period was March 1. I agree with this, it isn’t worth the hassle or the risk. Maybe Spring 2021. And I say this with deep regret as I love to vacation and Biz travel, mostly via UA.

Plus nobody wants Americans coming into their country at the moment (for good reason), so that settles that.

When things open I have 3 transpacs and one Europe vacation long overdue...
Boraxo and MojaveFlyer like this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I haven't flown since March, and have no itineraries booked currently. My firm has us shut down on all travel through Sept 30 officially, but likely through the end of the year at least. I've likewise curtailed all personal travel, since nowhere I want to go currently lets in Americans... or has a 14 day quarantine (which is longer than my usual trip duration)
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can confirm this, although not the personal air travel part which they cannot control - and it's not just into 2021, the overall volume of business travel will be reduced dramatically permanently. Facebook is also moving to a distributed resource model with much of its workforce going remote, and thus moving away from the Bay Area (many of those folks can't get out of there fast enough). Not only is business travel permanently decimated, but the Bay Area real estate market is bracing for a nasty hit as more companies adopt distributed workforces and people start moving to other locales where even their reduced salaries will go much further.

United is going to be more exposed than other carriers because of their investment in the Bay Area where a lot of these changed will be occurring. Most of the people left working on site will be in lab environments where they are working with components, mockups, etc and need physical contact, but most everyone else is going virtual. If anything, coronavirus proved the obsolescence of office work as we know it.
Can confirm this travel shutdown as well, I work for one of the FAANGs too. We thought for sure things would open up in the fall, but it's starting t look like early 2021 even for some domestic stuff. Who knows when we will be allowed anywhere else in the world.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Can confirm this travel shutdown as well, I work for one of the FAANGs too. We thought for sure things would open up in the fall, but it's starting t look like early 2021 even for some domestic stuff. Who knows when we will be allowed anywhere else in the world.
No business travel since early March, but the consults are piling up all over the country.

I am going to be doing a virtual consult in several weeks, but I am uncertain how well this is going to go, and more than half of the clients don't want virtual visits. Something is going to have to give.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.