Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by donjo
I am still flying 2-3x/wk working in short-staffed hospitals in the Southern US.
Thank you for all you do.
higher_flyer and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moved a number posts to a separate OMNI/PR thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...ke-choice.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
J.Edward and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: HH Dia, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Different times...

My first travel in 8 weeks was this week, connecting in IAH. If coming from a hot spot area - NY, WA, LA, etc - I can confirm TX DPS/State Troopers will meet you at the door once exiting the jet bridge. Be prepared to document where you are staying in TX or present a boarding pass for your connecting flight.

IAH was eerily empty. Only 1 TSA check point open (term C) and only 1 person in line there. Walked to the skytrain in Term C for the ride to Term B and then walked to the B gates. Counted no more than 20 people including airline/airport staff. Flights were UAX and no more than 10 on any flight and many of these were flight crews flying to their next assignment.

Almost everything in IAH was shut down and those which were open are all food/newsstand (ie Hudson) All had significant barriers to separate customers from food workers.

IAH Terminal C

All vendor outlets and restaurants are closed off and wrapped in plastic covering.

Planes stored on taxiway at IAH

More planes stored on taxiway at IAH

Empty parking garage
goodeats21 and SightseeMC like this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:13 pm

For those of you still choosing to fly (whatever your reason) I just want to give you a heart felt thank you.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by donjo
... My main problem now is getting anywhere. I might book a flight today for next week, only to have it canceled the day before the flight. If there's only one flight to a destination per day, that makes it untenable. ....
I'm experiencing this now. Booked a flight last week for wednesday out of PHL. Found out on saturday that it got cancelled as well as the thursday morning one. They rebooked me to Thursday night. I need to be there Friday morning (which is the reason I booked for wednesday). I've got a few backup plans ready to go, but it all depends on when they cancel. If they do it the night before, I still have potential options. If they do it an hour before the flight, that makes it tough.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I flew into IAH last Monday and it was a ghost town... reminded me of when I flew back the night they reopened after Hurricane Harvey. Starbucks in Terminal E was open, and I think the Wendy’s... not much else.

flying tomorrow... terminal E and B check-in / TSA are closed so Terminal C it is...
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:11 pm

This was my flight to Narita yesterday.

SightseeMC likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Is this for real?

Are you playing with Angles in this picture or something. The entire cabin is empty?

I did find on my domestic flights the level of sanitizing a bit over the top to the point of the plane smelling like a hospital. Was it the same on the international flights? I'm not sure I could bear that smell for 10+ hours.

Originally Posted by Rock214
This was my flight to Narita yesterday.

Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:33 pm

You can see the other passenger back in the far corner. There were about 20 more in back. Definitely safer than my local Safeway. It was clean. And the flight attendants handed out Lysol wipes to make it even more clean.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Flying SFO - SNA next week on Monday, will be my first flight since my SQ SIN - SFO on Feb 27th.

Right now looks like the flights are on the ERJ 175 - with maybe a handful of seats taken in both cabins. Will take pics and report back.

Need to get back home to my mother in LA who needs some help with things that just can't be delayed any longer.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Interesting, and sad.

MODS - I wasn't sure if this was the best thread to post this video. If not, feel free to move/merge or delete if it's been posted already. Thanks.
tryathlete and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Exactly. It is my opinion that there are a lot more valuable united business flyers that are refusing to get on a plane right now because of the relaxed approach.
What businesses are allowing travel? I'm at a roughly 100,000 tech company - we have an outright travel ban in 2020, all offices are closed with a limited phased reopening possibly in September and by limited for instance, the California offices will remain closed all of 2020. Are there really any Fortune 1000 companies that are freely traveling?
Old Jul 24, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What businesses are allowing travel? I'm at a roughly 100,000 tech company - we have an outright travel ban in 2020, all offices are closed with a limited phased reopening possibly in September and by limited for instance, the California offices will remain closed all of 2020. Are there really any Fortune 1000 companies that are freely traveling?
Yes, there are many. But I'm not sure what you mean by "traveling". If you mean to any level pre-March, the answer is likely no. Even for the consulting companies like PWC/E&Y/etc. If you mean any travel then the answer is yes. I could travel every single week if I wanted to but I don't "need" to right now. Others in my company (Fortune 500) do travel every week for their job because they need to. Some (including myself) will stay over weekends and just do 2-3 weeks at a clip instead of the back & forth every week. Having said that, I'm estimating at my company that travel is 20% of what it used to be. Just one data point.

-RM
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 11:32 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
1) Not all businesses that have 1k flyers are Fortune 1000.

2) Apple is trying to get emergency visas. Do they count? I would argue that MANY businesses are trying and/or minimally flying for business.
Old Jul 24, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
My company invests in the senior housing and elderly healthcare industries, so we're quite essential. Not all operational issues can be done by onsite personnel/management, or by an executive remotely. Some require an executive, in person. Honestly, some personnel issues during my homestate's peak COVID issues kept me home, and the issues got worse.

So long story short, I am now travelling. Not pre-COVID levels, but I'm travelling. I'm also getting tested weekly (yep, swab me up), and I'm meeting with our teams OUTSIDE instead of inside, whenever possible, and always with a mask.

There are lots of companies that can't pause operations, can't deal with every issue remotely, so I for one am VERY thankful that UA and its employees are still flying as much as they are, and trying to build up the flight schedule more in future months.
JNelson113, SPN Lifer, nnn and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.