Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium

IAD at 16:45 today.
you should have heard the snickers when the GA announced a limited on board service and you should purchase before boarding. Nothing is open for as far as you can see.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by LReyes66
Got back from LAX Tuesday night so just ended day 1 of quarantine (mandatory 14 day quarantine in Texas). Avg incubation period to show symptoms is 5 days and up to 14. High anxiety while counting down days. Was extra careful with masks and cleanliness with constant hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes.. hopefully it pays off.
How you were notified of the requirement. Was there someone waiting for you from the State when you got off the plane to give you information and record your name? Is it on the "Honor System"?

Just curious how they are implementing this from an air travel perspective in Texas.
onthesam likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
r

Those maps posted are just graphic representations of a moment in time with oversized icons. Unless someone is willing to do more research into actual filed flight plans per day vs. the same time last year, I am willing to accept the US airlines word on the % of flights reduced. One other thing to consider is that the "flying day" has generally been compressed. There are not as many options for the flights leaving @ 5:30 a.m or 8-9 p.m. So a snapshot @ noon may look like a full sky, but take one @ 8 am & 6 pm to see what it looks like

The only anecdotal evidence I need to support the airlines #'s are the MANY unused planes I see parked on taxiways & unused gates @ the airport, as well as the very reduced options when I book a flight from A to B. There are clearly less planes in the sky.
Is that Dulles? I appreciate those who are out there posting the pics for the rest of us.

My anecdotal evidence is living under the IAD and BWI departures it is a lot less noisy. Also, when I look at FlightRadar24 the US airspace seems to have a higher % of cargo and GA, not surprisingly, and I also see more AA and WN than UA up there.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:07 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
OMAAT had a post the other day about the traffic reduction based on TSA data; Tuesday looks pretty interesting: Tuesday, April 7: 97,130 vs. 2,091,056 (~4.6%)
Given that the data includes crew members that is pretty bleak.

OMAAT post: https://onemileatatime.com/data-how-...-still-flying/
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Is that Dulles? I appreciate those who are out there posting the pics for the rest of us.

My anecdotal evidence is living under the IAD and BWI departures it is a lot less noisy. Also, when I look at FlightRadar24 the US airspace seems to have a higher % of cargo and GA, not surprisingly, and I also see more AA and WN than UA up there.
Yup, IAD.

Also, I live on the west side of Houston & we are under the landing flight path. I have noticed that instead of landing aircraft being stacked up in a line as far as I can see to the west, they are coming down from the North & turning over our subdivision to line up for landing. Fewer planes, mean shorter (or nonexistent) lines for landing & takeoff.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I am flying this week, today DEN-SFO-SEA and probably return on Sunday SEA-DEN. The facility I'm going to just received notice of a positive Covid-19 case (one temporary worker who was there one day). Plant is being deep cleaned this evening. I will go to the plant on Saturday and return home and put myself in a 2 week self quarantine. At least I will generate a little revenue to ease the independent contractor no work stress a couple/three weeks.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:29 pm

How you were notified of the requirement. Was there someone waiting for you from the State when you got off the plane to give you information and record your name? Is it on the "Honor System"?

Just curious how they are implementing this from an air travel perspective in Texas.
In AUS the usual exits where closed and they funnel you through a single door where someone ask you where you are coming from. I think National Guard, could be wrong.

I flew in after it was implemented. I had to explain to the guy that Washington DC (where I flew in from) is a completely separate thing from Washington state. Someone else had to come over and tell him they are different and let me pass through the exit.....

I think they take your info if coming from a travel restricted area, I was not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Is that Dulles?
Yes and EWR was even quieter. So quiet that tsa had one lane open with no waiting and where ‘randomly’ selecting every third person for secondary screening.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Airline sent a text message with link to the form, and yes state trooper are waiting when you deplane
Old Apr 10, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: United 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
I flew Mar 19 FRA-IAD and then Apr 8 IAD-FRA via EWR. I am expat and wanted to go home during this crazy time. Flew in Polaris both times and you could see serious differences in the 3 weeks with service and food. Attached some creepy fotos. No planes at gates in FRA. United graveyard at IAD. Was only person in line at TSA precheck. Nothing open at IAD, EWR or FRA. Was like living in another world. Well....we are for now

Old Apr 10, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Yes and EWR was even quieter. So quiet that tsa had one lane open with no waiting and where ‘randomly’ selecting every third person for secondary screening.
My son who works in DHS and specifically with airline security told me that yesterday (4/9) that TSA screened a total of 94,000 passengers, crew and airport workers in the USA.

I asked him what a normal day would look like and he said around 2.1 MM. So I am not surprised that our airports look like ghost towns.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Secondary screening as in pat downs? Or swabbing luggage interior?

Granted that TSA is stupid, but increasing touch points among persons in a pandemic seems crazy even for them.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Secondary screening as in pat downs? Or swabbing luggage interior?

Granted that TSA is stupid, but increasing touch points among persons in a pandemic seems crazy even for them.
Maybe they think that anyone trying to board an airplane these days is criminally insane

I would be very reluctant to let anyone "pat me down", especially someone manning a TSA checkpoint, who obviously has contact with lots of people of unknown contamination potential, but also wears no PPEs other than gloves and masks (and who knows when they changed them last?)
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by radonc1
Maybe they think that anyone trying to board an airplane these days is criminally insane

I would be very reluctant to let anyone "pat me down", especially someone manning a TSA checkpoint, who obviously has contact with lots of people of unknown contamination potential, but also wears no PPEs other than gloves and masks (and who knows when they changed them last?)
I think I would offer to just strip naked in the terminal before they got close enough to touch me :P
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

r

Those maps posted are just graphic representations of a moment in time with oversized icons. Unless someone is willing to do more research into actual filed flight plans per day vs. the same time last year, I am willing to accept the US airlines word on the % of flights reduced. One other thing to consider is that the "flying day" has generally been compressed. There are not as many options for the flights leaving @ 5:30 a.m or 8-9 p.m. So a snapshot @ noon may look like a full sky, but take one @ 8 am & 6 pm to see what it looks like

The only anecdotal evidence I need to support the airlines #'s are the MANY unused planes I see parked on taxiways & unused gates @ the airport, as well as the very reduced options when I book a flight from A to B. There are clearly less planes in the sky.
img
That is a good point.

I got curious what the course of a day looks like, so I took random screenshots over about 24h (below, in order).

I think it looks pretty sparse overall, but still that is many probably near-empty aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.