Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who is/is not Flying Now On UA in the COVID era? Why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would ask that you report the crew for failing to enforce the onboard mask policy. I’ll be doing the same when I get home, for my Horizon flight crew on last Wednesday’s ONT SEA hop for ignoring passengers who did not wear their masks properly.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Just finished a same day RT to Boise today. Probably my 10th US trip during COVID. I'm numb to the routine.

1. Drive to SFO in almost zero traffic.
2. Get dropped off at an almost empty terminal
3. Skip GS reception, straight to empty TSA
4. Insert drivers license, drop mask...
5. Clear security and see closed Yankee Clipper restaurant
6. People mover to empty United Club.
7. Spend two min looking out large window
8. Grab brown bag of food on way out
9. Walk to gate T-15, obligatory pleasantries with GS agent
10. Zombie like posture in seat, touching nothing
11. Consider engaging neighbors on mask etiquette (pic)
12. Be entertained by Idahoan t-shirt creativity (pic)

I'm someone who has flown over 4 million flight miles and loved every one of them. Unfortunately, I just can't find much to love about travel these days.

Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Sadly, I’m not flying at all, and don’t see a horizon where I will anytime soon. And by soon, I mean in the next 12-24 months, at least.

My customer (a household name you’d recognize immediately) has moved almost all their staff to home work, many permanently. Earliest return would be mid year 2021.

My employer has moved us home through 2021 at a minimum, also likely permanently.

Just not seeing a return to the prior level of travel, for a long time. Possibly permanently.

It’s not a good thing; not at all.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Did it break?

David
nope, it was the only item in the bin, it made it through just fine.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Yeah giving it a go.

Flew twice (two trips) in last two weeks. Aiming for a third. Masking on the plane is absolutely consistent. What’s bothersome is the damn ORD terminal and rental car busses packed to the gills. I’m going to start spending a lot of company money on parking to avoid that nightmare. Sorry boss.

Seems like upgrades are gonna be standard fare for a 1K. Five flights with no GS and open F. Kinda what you’d expect with zero business fliers.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Been my experience as well as a 1k. Gold's and silvers have even been upgraded next to me on TCON's.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tryathlete
I’m going to start spending a lot of company money on parking to avoid that nightmare. Sorry boss.
I've spent a bunch of money on airport parking. The SAN rental car shuttle to T1 was the worst.

Have north of 40 segments since mid-March, only one on UA. Flying DL whenever possible, then WN or AS. I have zero interest in being involuntarily seated next to a stranger.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
I'm up(!) to about two assignments per month. Maybe 10-15 hours worth (I was doing 100+ prior to March/April) I was almost giddy the last multi-day trip I flew.

Originally Posted by DErg
Been my experience as well as a 1k. Gold's and silvers have even been upgraded next to me on TCON's.
I've gotten the upgrade as a non-rev (PS and SA).
goodeats21 and DELee like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
I’ve taken the train twice instead of flying because there were no flights. At some point, lack of supply tamps down demand.

that and you can’t really go and come from Hawaii right now....
Old Sep 5, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally booked my first "COVID" flight for next weekend. Quick trip to DEN. Haven't flown since January and have been debating for the past 1.5 months if I wanted to give it a try. This will be my first domestic trip in 3 years as all of my travel is international. Might seem strange not boarding a flight to FRA or LHR!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:00 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Seems like upgrades are gonna be standard fare for a 1K. Five flights with no GS and open F. Kinda what you’d expect with zero business fliers.
I'm not even waiting for upgrades. Will only book First, but only taking a few trips anyway.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:11 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by TomMM
I finally booked my first "COVID" flight for next weekend. Quick trip to DEN. Haven't flown since January and have been debating for the past 1.5 months if I wanted to give it a try. This will be my first domestic trip in 3 years as all of my travel is international. Might seem strange not boarding a flight to FRA or LHR!
Me too! Last flight was March 8. Just booked a flight in 2 weeks, and one in late October. As it stands for now, this will probably be it for me in 2020. I have had friends that have been flying for months telling me "how easy it is". I'm definitely a bit spooked, and am planning covid tests upon my return. It's a sort of cautious excitement.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Me too! Last flight was March 8. Just booked a flight in 2 weeks, and one in late October. As it stands for now, this will probably be it for me in 2020. I have had friends that have been flying for months telling me "how easy it is". I'm definitely a bit spooked, and am planning covid tests upon my return. It's a sort of cautious excitement.
COVID doesn't have me spooked. I was more concerned with the "how easy it is" aspect. Since the protocols/procedures seem to be worked out I figure it's time to get back in the air. I will say this, researching local COVID regulations was more time consuming then researching entry requirements for some foreign destinations!
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I am flying mostly for dental/medical appointments in the SF Bay Area. Won’t really travel in any meaningful way until ‘21 when I fly to re-qualify for 1K.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 8:26 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by TomMM
COVID doesn't have me spooked. I was more concerned with the "how easy it is" aspect. Since the protocols/procedures seem to be worked out I figure it's time to get back in the air. I will say this, researching local COVID regulations was more time consuming then researching entry requirements for some foreign destinations!
Not at all? You feel perfectly safe?
Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Not at all? You feel perfectly safe?
No one flying now can allege they feel "perfectly safe." UA is doing everything they can to insure flying is as "safe" as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.