Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: All the programs!
As a 1K what's the last moment I can cancel an award flight booked using UA miles on UA operated flights before the no-show $125 fee applies?

Thanks,
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by oopl
As a 1K what's the last moment I can cancel an award flight booked using UA miles on UA operated flights before the no-show $125 fee applies?

Thanks,
A few seconds before the keystroke of the gate agent who offloads you for being a no-show or failure to check in (deadline is later if you check in).
jsloan, margarita girl and oopl like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
New 1K asking about how upgrades clear on award flights

Hi All--Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer. I'm a new 1K (status challenge from AA EXP) and just trying out United. I have an economy saver level tickets booked from DEN to BDL on Tuesday and I was wondering how the complimentary upgrades work since I'm now inside the 96 hours and haven't heard anything from United despite about 5 out of the 20 F seats showing availability on the sea tmap when I just last checked. I looked around on FT, Googled and looked on the United website as well as contacted the 1K desk and United via Twitter DM and feel like I couldn't get a definitive answer out of anywhere.

Do I need to somehow request to be put on the upgrade list? I have the Untied MileagePlus Explorer Business Card so I should be eligible for the upgrade but where will I stand in the upgrade order and will the upgrades potentially clear at or near 96 hours if there's availability or will I be forced to wait until the last minute day of travel to find out if the upgrade cleared after everyone else? Is there anywhere I can view the upgrade list and where I am in the order? Thanks for any advice. Much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZapperO
Do I need to somehow request to be put on the upgrade list?
For flights that allow complimentary upgrades, including DEN-BDL, no. You're either eligible or you're not, as indicated on your reservation, which should say "CPU Requested." I note that you said "tickets." Only the primary cardholder is eligible for an upgrade on an award ticket, so if there is more than one traveler, you'd need to split your reservation if you want to have a chance at sitting up front.

I have the Untied MileagePlus Explorer Business Card so I should be eligible for the upgrade but where will I stand in the upgrade order and will the upgrades potentially clear at or near 96 hours if there's availability or will I be forced to wait until the last minute day of travel to find out if the upgrade cleared after everyone else?
Upgrades can clear at any time within the window, or not at all. Looking at the seat map for your flight, if you haven't already cleared, you probably won't.

Is there anywhere I can view the upgrade list and where I am in the order? Thanks for any advice. Much appreciated.
You'll see the upgrade list in the United app. It will allow you to look for flights up to two days after the current date. An enterprising person might try adjusting the date on their phone or tablet...

As a 1K on an award ticket, you'll be behind all Global Service members or other 1Ks, but ahead of any other status. However, UA will happily sell people upgrades during the check-in window. With only four seats left, I wouldn't like my chances.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Jetblue Mosaic (past)
Wow! Thanks jsloan! Really appreciate the incredibly detailed and super fast response. SOOOOO helpful and informative. So other than paying to upgrade, given that it is an award ticket and there's two of us on the reservation (and she doesn't have any status) there's 0% chance the upgrade will be eligible or clear at all without splitting the reservation which would then leave her back in economy? Booo. That's not gonna work! So I guess we'll be in Economy Plus unless they offer a very cheap cash price upgrade option or something.

So the time two years ago when I was a lowly Silver and had an AKL to SFO award flight booked in economy but somehow called the Premiere Desk and got them to add us both to the upgrade list and then my upgrade cleared with no co-pay nor any payment of miles or dollars I guess was a completely fluke I actually came out ahead along with the upgrade with a $150 in United credit on that one since the seat they put me in J had a broken IFE. Hehe.

Originally Posted by jsloan
For flights that allow complimentary upgrades, including DEN-BDL, no. You're either eligible or you're not, as indicated on your reservation, which should say "CPU Requested." I note that you said "tickets." Only the primary cardholder is eligible for an upgrade on an award ticket, so if there is more than one traveler, you'd need to split your reservation if you want to have a chance at sitting up front.

Upgrades can clear at any time within the window, or not at all. Looking at the seat map for your flight, if you haven't already cleared, you probably won't.

You'll see the upgrade list in the United app. It will allow you to look for flights up to two days after the current date. An enterprising person might try adjusting the date on their phone or tablet...

As a 1K on an award ticket, you'll be behind all Global Service members or other 1Ks, but ahead of any other status. However, UA will happily sell people upgrades during the check-in window. With only four seats left, I wouldn't like my chances.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! Thanks jsloan! Really appreciate the incredibly detailed and super fast response. SOOOOO helpful and informative.
Happy to help.
So other than paying to upgrade, given that it is an award ticket and there's two of us on the reservation (and she doesn't have any status) there's 0% chance the upgrade will be eligible or clear at all without splitting the reservation which would then leave her back in economy? Booo. That's not gonna work!
Correct. On a paid ticket, you'd both be eligible -- but check this thread for an important caveat: The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop . On an award ticket, only someone who (a) has Premier status and (b) is the primary cardholder of an eligible credit card account is eligible for an upgrade.

So I guess we'll be in Economy Plus unless they offer a very cheap cash price upgrade option or something.
You might actually get a cash offer that you find acceptable. Your other option would be to look for a First Class saver award and pay the mileage difference to move up; as a 1K, you wouldn't have any fees for that change. The problem is that I don't think you're likely to find two saver awards on that flight due to the tight inventory.

So the time two years ago when I was a lowly Silver and had an AKL to SFO award flight booked in economy but somehow called the Premiere Desk and got them to add us both to the upgrade list and then my upgrade cleared with no co-pay nor any payment of miles or dollars I guess was a completely fluke
Uh... yes? The process you're talking about is described here: Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues" , but the correct procedure is to remove the number of miles necessary for a saver business class award prior to travel. If they forgot to do that, you got a great deal (There are reports that it happens every now and then).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
I have an award ticket flying me to Düsseldorf via Warsaw on LOT in just under 4 weeks, then back to ORD from Warsaw 2 weeks later. If Poland or Germany were to get to "postpone non-essential travel" status, is it reasonable to expect I can get my miles re-deposited without a fee?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
I have an award ticket flying me to Düsseldorf via Warsaw on LOT in just under 4 weeks, then back to ORD from Warsaw 2 weeks later. If Poland or Germany were to get to "postpone non-essential travel" status, is it reasonable to expect I can get my miles re-deposited without a fee?
per se, unless there is a waiver, no BUT if many more larger regions become under travel warnings there will be pressured for the airlines to issue such waivers or a generic waiver. So for now, wait and see, this is still a developing scenario.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
per se, unless there is a waiver, no BUT if many more larger regions become under travel warnings there will be pressured for the airlines to issue such waivers or a generic waiver. So for now, wait and see, this is still a developing scenario.
Thanks. It is a strange feeling to be closing on on a two week trip that I am not sure I will be able to take. I have a couple of flights within Europe between medium-sized airports (outside of Italy). As long as these are operating normally, I will plan on going.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Thanks. It is a strange feeling to be closing on on a two week trip that I am not sure I will be able to take. ....
IMHO. These do qualify as "strange times."
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:07 am

What does this mean exactly and should I be concerned? Do I need to call or will it sort its self out.

If I need to talk to customer service I will actually be at the airport today, Is this something I can just ask about in person?

Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
What does this mean exactly and should I be concerned? Do I need to call or will it sort its self out.

If I need to talk to customer service I will actually be at the airport today, Is this something I can just ask about in person?. ...
Yes you can wait till you are at the airport to do this BUT until this is done will not be able to choose your seat assignment (one may be auto assigned) and perhaps look at another alternative.

Urgency is probably a factor of how far in the future is this flight.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes you can wait till you are at the airport to do this BUT until this is done will not be able to choose your seat assignment (one may be auto assigned) and perhaps look at another alternative.

Urgency is probably a factor of how far in the future is this flight.
Flight is at the end of May, so not very urgent. Ill check in with CS at IAH this afternoon.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver, HH Gold, Amex Platinum
Newish to UA and would love some quick advice --
Flying EWR-CDG tomorrow night. Premier Silver, booked K Economy. There's 25 Polaris seats open, 16 Premier Plus seats open, and over 20 Economy Plus open. Currently in a Preferred Seat due to status and assume they'll allow me an Economy Plus upgrade at check-in. Is there any way for me to upgrade to Premier Plus or Polaris on K class? Will they go down the list for Polaris/Premier Plus (with me near the bottom, I realize) or will I not be eligible for those seats with a K class?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by driveafastercar
Newish to UA and would love some quick advice --
Flying EWR-CDG tomorrow night. Premier Silver, booked K Economy. There's 25 Polaris seats open, 16 Premier Plus seats open, and over 20 Economy Plus open. Currently in a Preferred Seat due to status and assume they'll allow me an Economy Plus upgrade at check-in. Is there any way for me to upgrade to Premier Plus or Polaris on K class? ...
Yes, if you place a supported upgrade request -- mileage or get a friend to apply PlusPoints

Also, be on the lookout for a cash upgrade option at check-in.

Originally Posted by driveafastercar
Will they go down the list for Polaris/Premier Plus (with me near the bottom, I realize) or will I not be eligible for those seats with a K class?
Without a supported upgrade request, it would be very unusual for complimentary upgrades -- generally just in overbooking of economy.

Note in these times, anything can happen but complimentary upgrades would be unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.