Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes you will have to call -- do not check in online as you can get split PNR due to CPU waitlisting.

DO not believe the PNR need to be split as no changes need to be made to the ticket -- just seating assignments.
However, split PNRs in irrops is not a big deal especially for someone with status.
Great, thank you for the quick response!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the 016 ticket number for upgrade fees is a unique number and is not related to a flight e-ticket. If you keep your UA emails, you can search those emails with the full 016 number and it may find a match.
Thanks for that. I ended up calling them because I had no email confirmation related to this charge. They couldn't find it initially either. It turns out that there was a snafu on the corp travel agency booking that erroneously put through a seat upgrade. The MP agent was able to back it out and I should be refunded within a few days.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:58 pm

I'm going to fly LAX-BOG-LAX on Avianca which is about 7,000 miles round trip and the ticket will cost about $800. According to the new PQP rules, if it's an 016 ticket I will get 800 (give or take) PQP but if it's not an 016 ticket I will get about 1400 PQP. Obviously I'd prefer to get 1400 if possible.

The problem is, I tried looking up what exactly generates an 016 ticket vs. not and I can't find much info. I will be booking through a corporate travel system and can book the the ticket branded as UA or I can buy the ticket branded as AV. Is there a way I can guarantee I get a non-016 ticket here?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seph87
The problem is, I tried looking up what exactly generates an 016 ticket vs. not and I can't find much info. I will be booking through a corporate travel system and can book the the ticket branded as UA or I can buy the ticket branded as AV. Is there a way I can guarantee I get a non-016 ticket here?
If the ticket is branded as AV, you will likely get a non-016 ticket (99%+ chance).
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If the ticket is branded as AV, you will likely get a non-016 ticket (99%+ chance).
Thank you. Does this rule apply to all partner airlines? I.e. if you book it as a UA flight you get an 016 ticket, if you book it via the partner airline you get a non-016?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seph87
Thank you. Does this rule apply to all partner airlines? I.e. if you book it as a UA flight you get an 016 ticket, if you book it via the partner airline you get a non-016?
If you book through a specific airline, you'll get that airline's ticket stock, regardless of the flight numbers.

If you book through a travel agent, IATA guidance is that they should use the marketing carrier of the first international flight in most cases.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
earning RDM on UA for a LH ticketed, NZ metal and flight number

Flying to AKL this fall in J. Bought my ticket through LH, so 220 ticket stock. Most flights, including a code share on CX metal, have LH flight numbers and booked into P; but the code share flight with NZ has a NZ flight number and booked into J. Will that NZ leg earn RDM as an LH ticket (300%), or as an NZ ticket (125%)? And my operating presumption is that the entire itinerary will earn PQP as RDM/5 given the LH ticket number.

TIA for the wisdom.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:56 pm

Flying UA118 ORD-EDI at the end of May. What terminal will I be departing from in ORD, and is there a Priority Pass lounge available to me? We have an almost 5 hour layover in Chicago.

I also think I will have 2x United Club Passes (via Credit) card, so if no Priority Pass, I should be able to use these, correct?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChuckieB
Flying to AKL this fall in J. Bought my ticket through LH, so 220 ticket stock. Most flights, including a code share on CX metal, have LH flight numbers and booked into P; but the code share flight with NZ has a NZ flight number and booked into J. Will that NZ leg earn RDM as an LH ticket (300%), or as an NZ ticket (125%)? And my operating presumption is that the entire itinerary will earn PQP as RDM/5 given the LH ticket number.

TIA for the wisdom.
All *A flights earn based upon the operating carrier and the operating carrier's mapped fare class. The flight operand by CX won't earn anything on MileagePlus (but you can earn with a CX partner).

Who's operating the segment in question? If you're asking if you're going to get credit for a segment in LH J for a flight that's ticketed as NZ J, the answer is no; NZ J almost certainly maps behind the scenes to LH P. J is ZN's lowest business class fare bucket.
ChuckieB likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Flying UA118 ORD-EDI at the end of May. What terminal will I be departing from in ORD, and is there a Priority Pass lounge available to me? We have an almost 5 hour layover in Chicago.

I also think I will have 2x United Club Passes (via Credit) card, so if no Priority Pass, I should be able to use these, correct?
You will be departing from Terminal 1, either B or C concourse. There is no Priority Pass lounge in that Terminal, nor any other terminals connected airside.

Yes, United Club passes can be used. Use a Club in either Concourse B of Terminal 1, or Concourse F in Terminal 2 (They are all connected airside).
Do not use the Club in Concourse C of Terminal 1, as it is a not a full service club.
Discussion of the United Clubs at ORD
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Looking at a PlusPoints upgrade for FRA-IAD-EWR.
FRA-IAD is waitlist and at the checkout screen it says "30 PlusPoints" (Upgrade from Premium economy to Business)
IAD-EWR is a confirmed upgrade and at the checkout screen it says "Included"

I thought with the new program, you couldn't get any "free" upgrades so if my waitlist for FRA-IAD does not clear, am I to assume I will not get refunded 30 PlusPoints that were essentially used for IAD-EWR?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Delta Gate at MSP

My DEN-MSP flight ended up finishing at a Delta gate last night. Is this unusual? It made me appreciate the location of the United gates, because I felt like I had to walk a mile to get to baggage claim. Plus the escalator was out that we needed to get to rental cars.

Not loving MSP.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
My DEN-MSP flight ended up finishing at a Delta gate last night. Is this unusual? It made me appreciate the location of the United gates, because I felt like I had to walk a mile to get to baggage claim. Plus the escalator was out that we needed to get to rental cars.
It's not "normal" per se, but it happens decently often late at night; they just run out of E gates for parking.
BBSHOPSINGER likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by awu25
I thought with the new program, you couldn't get any "free" upgrades so if my waitlist for FRA-IAD does not clear, am I to assume I will not get refunded 30 PlusPoints that were essentially used for IAD-EWR?
If you haven’t applied an upgrade yet, don’t!

To answer your specific question, if you waitlist FRA-IAD and IAD-EWR, and IAD-EWR clears, 30 points will be deducted. If FRA-IAD does not clear, you will get a refund of 10 points, because IAD-EWR would be a 20-point upgrade.

However, a Premium Plus fare books into B on the domestic connection, which is eligible for instant upgrades into PN space (GS/1K members) or PZ space (all other Premier members). Therefore, if there is availability in PZ now on IAD-EWR, waitlist the instrument only on FRA-IAD, and then go in and confirm the instant upgrade on IAD-EWR. If not, you can still choose to waitlist only the international leg, so that you don’t waste 20 points on a one-hour flight.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:44 pm

I'm seeing conflicting results on the internet, but is there a way to see if a flight has Premium Plus space that can be instantly confirmed using Plus Points? Kind of like you can look up PZ space? I'm flying on a K class ticket next week, but would like to use 20 Plus Points to upgrade if I can find if there is space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.