Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Gold
I had a very pleasant flight SFO-FRA / UA58 on 12/12/2020 on the 787-9 (2-2-2 config). There were about 8 seats empty in business, and ~50 empty in economy.

No pre-departure beverage, and no menus were offered. The meal and beverage order were taken shortly after boarding by the purser. Her Crew phone was down, and even though she didnt acknowledge my partners GS status, I was impressed she thanked each passenger for their business as she warmly took orders. Options for lunch were: beef short rib, ravioli with red sauce, or salmon.

Once in the air, I was served a plastic cup of ice cold champagne. It was really tasty, or I had just been missing the taste of bubbles in the air. I requested slippers and the FA apologized for missing me when she passed them out earlier. I was proactively given a refill without asking before I finished my first cup :-). The food came out very quickly, and it was tasty and hot. The ice cream was nearly melted by the time I opened it.

I requested red wine and the purser presented me with the 3 red bottles. I was impressed she took the time to bring them over to me right away. A quick Google search revealed each bottle retails for around $10. The Red Blend was good despite being cheap.
  • Colby Red Blend - California 2017
  • Wente Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Berzinger Cabernet Sauvignon
After dinner, I asked for and laid down the mattress pad. Lights and windows were dimmed, but an FA walked through the cabin often to check on passengers. I ended up having 2 gin & tonics before passing out.

This crew was very friendly and professional. Two of the FAs were former international pursers. I had just flown this same plane a week prior EWR-SFO in the same seat, and these FAs felt more professional and attentive than on the transcontinental flight. It was greatly appreciated and I gave the purser my partners GS appreciation ticket. She was confused about it, but kept it. I think they submit this for recognition.

The mid flight snacks included cheez its, stroop wafel, and some other packaged snacksnothing fresh. There was no walk up bar with drinks but the FA was happy to serve anything.

Breakfast was a warm sandwich with egg and 1 slice of ham. Tasteless and visually unappealing, so I didnt grab a photo. Next time I would skip this and get a yummy sandwich at one of the many restaurants in FRA.

Happy flying!

Flowers, Never seen these before. Seats 1C & 1D.

Beef short rib
Old Dec 24, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Nice to hear an upbeat happy post about their service on board. Heres to better times in 2021
cesco.g and brodayo like this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 11:20 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Would you have noticed these were $10 wines if you didn't Google them?
Old Dec 24, 2020, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brodayo
I had a very pleasant flight SFO-FRA / UA58 on 12/12/2020 on the 787-9 (2-2-2 config). There were about 8 seats empty in business, and ~50 empty in economy.

No pre-departure beverage, and no menus were offered. The meal and beverage order were taken shortly after boarding by the purser. Her Crew phone was down, and even though she didnt acknowledge my partners GS status, I was impressed she thanked each passenger for their business as she warmly took orders. Options for lunch were: beef short rib, ravioli with red sauce, or salmon.

Once in the air, I was served a plastic cup of ice cold champagne. It was really tasty, or I had just been missing the taste of bubbles in the air. I requested slippers and the FA apologized for missing me when she passed them out earlier. I was proactively given a refill without asking before I finished my first cup :-). The food came out very quickly, and it was tasty and hot. The ice cream was nearly melted by the time I opened it.

I requested red wine and the purser presented me with the 3 red bottles. I was impressed she took the time to bring them over to me right away. A quick Google search revealed each bottle retails for around $10. The Red Blend was good despite being cheap.
  • Colby Red Blend - California 2017
  • Wente Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Berzinger Cabernet Sauvignon
After dinner, I asked for and laid down the mattress pad. Lights and windows were dimmed, but an FA walked through the cabin often to check on passengers. I ended up having 2 gin & tonics before passing out.

This crew was very friendly and professional. Two of the FAs were former international pursers. I had just flown this same plane a week prior EWR-SFO in the same seat, and these FAs felt more professional and attentive than on the transcontinental flight. It was greatly appreciated and I gave the purser my partners GS appreciation ticket. She was confused about it, but kept it. I think they submit this for recognition.

The mid flight snacks included cheez its, stroop wafel, and some other packaged snacksnothing fresh. There was no walk up bar with drinks but the FA was happy to serve anything.

Breakfast was a warm sandwich with egg and 1 slice of ham. Tasteless and visually unappealing, so I didnt grab a photo. Next time I would skip this and get a yummy sandwich at one of the many restaurants in FRA.

Happy flying!

Flowers, Never seen these before. Seats 1C & 1D.

Beef short rib
Great to hear, and exactly the same experience as my last couple of flights as well.

The flowers are from the Purser, C, in the shot there. She always brings flowers for the cabin and lavatory. Takes serious pride in her job.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by exp
Would you have noticed these were $10 wines if you didn't Google them?
Nope! I enjoyed the blend and felt United did a good job selecting these 😀 . I was surprised (but not so much, considering United) at the retail price.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by brodayo
Nope! I enjoyed the blend and felt United did a good job selecting these 😀 . I was surprised (but not so much, considering United) at the retail price.
Its actually a nice blend, at some retail establishments its $14.99 and a touch higher, and its for a good cause as well:

Colby Red is a delicious red wine dedicated to raising funds for cardiac research. It is a unique blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Syrah, Petite Sirah and Merlot that is rich and smooth.

This wine is named in honor of Colby Rex Groom, 16 year old son of Winemaker Daryl and Lisa Groom, who just prior to his 10th birthday underwent back to back open-heart surgeries. Colby is now living a healthy and happy life. With your support, over $1,000,000 is expected to be raised and donated to the American Heart Association and other Heart Health causes through sales of Colby Red.

Colby Red is a wine for sheer delicious enjoyment. While its a great wine with food, it tastes best in the company of good friends and family, savored with an appreciation of the gifts each moment brings. Daryl Groom, Winemaker
cesco.g, Artpen100, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
brodayo - Thank you for your trip report. "I was served a plastic cup of ice cold champagne. It was really tasty ...". So amusing. It is gratifying that UA now serves champagne in Polaris Business. Possibly in a few months they may reintroduce glasses. Do you happen to recall the champagne served? Thanks.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 9:06 pm
exp
Suspended

I remember one flight, not sure i it was UA, where the PDB champagne was distinctly inferior to the one they served once in flight.
Old Dec 24, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by exp
I remember one flight, not sure i it was UA, where the PDB champagne was distinctly inferior to the one they served once in flight.
This is usually the case, in my UA pre-Covid experience.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by exp
It was my understanding, the PDB wasn't Champagne at all. It was instead "only" ever a sparkling wine
Champagne was only opened once airborne.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 12:02 pm
exp
Suspended

Maybe they were LX or LH flights but I remember the PDB being the same as the Champagne you requested in flight.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by narvik
It was my understanding, the PDB wasn't Champagne at all. It was instead "only" ever a sparkling wine
Champagne was only opened once airborne.
This is correct. It was a "duty" issue - were not allowed to open some carts or they would have to pay a duty on it.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 3:04 pm

Remember the 187 mm splits that you cracked open yourself (Modified screw cap) Thats the PDB that I remember
Old Dec 26, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This is correct. It was a "duty" issue - were not allowed to open some carts or they would have to pay a duty on it.
So in actuality a money issue, I can think of plenty of airlines that eat the duty in order to show their customers they are valued.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by worldtrav
So in actuality a money issue, I can think of plenty of airlines that eat the duty in order to show their customers they are valued.
Just like the current status of food in lounges and in the air. It always comes down to money.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.